Sportsnet: Ron MacLean: Babcock watching Leafs ‘carefully’

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Mike Babcock’s future remains a hot topic and Ron MacLean thinks the Red Wings head coach is keeping a close eye on a rival club.

“I think he’s probably watching Toronto as carefully as anything,†MacLean told Brady & Walker Friday on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “Not his own team, but Toronto, to decide if he wants to come here.â€

Babcock, who is now in his 10th season behind the Detroit Red Wings bench, has been a revelation since entering the NHL coaching scene and he’d be the most sought after coaching commodity in recent memory if he chose to step away from the team that he’s helmed since 2005-06 when his current contract expires at the end of the season.

Not only has the 51-year-old won a Stanley Cup, a pair of Olympic gold medals, an IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, and a World Junior Championship, but he’s missed the playoffs only once in his 11 seasons behind an NHL bench, with his Red Wings sitting near the top of the Eastern Conference so far this season.

“He’s been spoiled with Lidstrom, and Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. (But) I remember when they acquired Rafalski and he knew they’d win a cup.†MacLean said. “He really knows players.

“I think you could look at Babcock watching Kessel and Phaneuf, the two lynchpins of the Toronto team (to see if there’s something he can win with here).â€

One of the areas the MacLean thinks is pivotal to Babcock’s decision is whether or not there’s improvement in the turnover department from the Leafs.

“The Olympic program (coaches) all have a different plus/minus than we are used to,†MacLean said. “They don’t go by goals for and against, they go by turnovers. And they go specifically by when you move the puck if something good happens… then you get a plus. If you move the puck and it results in a turnover it’s a negative. … And they double those pluses and minus at the two bluelines.

“That’s what Babcock’s looking at this year.â€

Regardless if the Leafs do continue to see improvement in all areas of the ice, which one could credit to current head coach Randy Carlyle and his staff, MacLean admits that there’s a lot to the decision and the play of the Red Wings could go a long way to determining where Babcock finds himself in a year’s time.

Wherever that may be, there’s no denying he’ll have almost full autonomy, with Toronto being a viable destination.

“He’s in the catbird seat,†MacLean said. “He’s in a good spot. It’s not about money. It’s about him wanting that challenge of a dynasty (with the) Toronto Maple Leafs. If he sees a team he thins he can win with then he’ll be here.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ron-maclean-babcock-watching-leafs-carefully/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
"I think" stopped reading right there. It's not actual inside knowledge. He could be watching the Leafs carefully, but then again he might not give a rat's ass.

Swayze*

omg omg omg!!!!

this group of scrubs better start playing better!

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
"I think" stopped reading right there. It's not actual inside knowledge. He could be watching the Leafs carefully, but then again he might not give a rat's ass.

Same.

I think it's just some more futile tactics to keep the Babcock pipedream going.

Ace88*

cant wait until babcock is the leafs coach and starts playing trevor smith with kessel and bozak

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
There is nothing to lie or BS about. There is literally no substance beyond an opinion MacLean has that Babcock might be evaluating the leafs.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
He's not ************...he's stating his opinion. Sportsnet is the one ************, passing off his opinion as a fact in the news headline. What spin doctors they are.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
people may think its a pipe dream but i think its a real possibility that he comes here. many media personalities have said that he's eyeing toronto as his next coaching destination. if only one person says it, then you can say he's trolling for hits but this is actually a rumour where many of them have said it repeatedly.

also the fact that he hasn't re-signed in detroit with a contract offer still on the table tells me he doesn't want to remain there. other than babcock, which head coach in the nhl hasn't signed an extension once it was put in front of them? this guy wants out and his public refuting of the rumour of him re-signing yesterday just adds more fuel to the fire.

Swayze*

people may think its a pipe dream but i think its a real possibility that he comes here. many media personalities have said that he's eyeing toronto as his next coaching destination. if only one person says it, then you can say he's trolling for hits but this is actually a rumour where many of them have said it repeatedly.

also the fact that he hasn't re-signed in detroit with a contract offer still on the table tells me he doesn't want to remain there. other than babcock, which head coach in the nhl hasn't signed an extension once it was put in front of them? this guy wants out and his public refuting of the rumour of him re-signing yesterday just adds more fuel to the fire.

I just assume he wants to field offers in the summer and make his decision then based on rosters, potential, location monies etc.

There will be a lot of teams after the guy so I'd be surprised if he actually chose us but who knows.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If the only thing holding him back from coming here is wondering if Kessel and Phanuef can lead the Team, we can safely assume Babcock will be here next year.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The only way i see him coming here is if his main motivation is money .

Swayze*

He's coming here because he knows Swayze wants it to happen and he monitors my every post.

Simple

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Ron is well respected in the hockey world and is not a guy who typically recklessly speculates, he may not have talked directly to Babcock but I would not be surprised if he has gleaned some "inside" info. from others in the 'know".

He makes some good points, why is a guy who has had such a long history with the red Wings not signed, rumors are he was offered money that would make him the highest paid coach in the NHL.

Thought it was interesting how the Olympic team scores their +/- rating.

Swayze*

The only way i see him coming here is if his main motivation is money .

Challenge
History
Location - he's from Ontario, went to McGill etc
prestige
and of course my blessing - he wants to please me personally

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I'm sure the impressive Leaf's win Wednesday is helping cement us as front runners for his services.

Swayze*

He knows Datty and Zetty's time will be coming to an end soon so there's that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Because they've done a great job leading so far?

Be careful what you wish for.
His top players for years have been exceptional 2 way players as well.
Lidstrom/Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Kronwall.
Everyone is required to play a complete game.
How will Bozak/Kessel/JVR do under Babcock?
Big difference between the 2 groups.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Challenge
History
Location - he's from Ontario, went to McGill etc
prestige
and of course my blessing - he wants to please me personally

Maybe its his hubris?

I personally don't think we have the type of players who can play a Babcock game, I think that more than anything, that will in the end push Babcock away from Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad