Ron Cook at it again with Malkin trade in the offseason...

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
This is the laziest least provocative take in Pittsburgh/hockey media. — Seriously when has it ever been confirmed a Malkin was in the works?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The b2bs ensure that Geno will remain a penguin until he retires. If the core only had 1 cup until now, then there would be smoke.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Nope, not a Russian thing. I feel Letang should be shipped out if the right offer was available. Same emotional issues as Geno, and also injury-prone like Geno.

And same goes for Kessel - if the deal is right, do it and trade him.

They won't trade Crosby cause he's the face of the Franchise whether we like it or not. But Sid has been awful too this post-season.

I know that Penguins wont trade Crosby, and I think they shouldnt either - hes a fantastic player. I think this core can win once again, its just that everyone else needs to go (except Dumo and Guentzel). Maatta, JJ and Gudbranson needs to go first, those are the biggest problem.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know that Penguins wont trade Crosby, and I think they shouldnt either - hes a fantastic player. I think this core can win once again, its just that everyone else needs to go (except Dumo and Guentzel). Maatta, JJ and Gudbranson needs to go first, those are the biggest problem.
Maatta hasn't been good for most of this season.
JJ has been terrible for majority of the season with very few bright spots.

But Gudbranson? The guy has been solid for us as a Penguin. As a Canuck? Yeah dude sucked, but his time with the Penguin he hasn't been a problem at all. It's almost insulting to include him with the other two idiots.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Malkin will probably ride his contract out and then go back to Russia. Why not? Dude has won everything worth winning - 3 cups, an Art Ross and a Hart, the Conn Smythe, scored over 1000 points...I doubt the Pens trade him unless they're no longer contenders at the very end of his deal and even then he might not care to ask them to.

Now Kessel, Hornqvist, and most of the other 2nd tier guys? Yeah, they're probably on the table to anyone interested.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
..... has anyone here ever looked at star players of malkins caliber’ “decline” in their mid 30’s? Because those people are still super productive there... this isn’t a scrub or borderline star here... malkin drops down to 90% of what he was and he is still better than most of the league....

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Who would take Malkin given the season that he has had?

10m cap, very injury prone, mentally disengaged most of the time, defensively irresponsible (didnt he have like -27 or something during the regular season?), rapidly aging.

Would you want him on your team?

Forget past performances as its all about the future.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land

So what do you want for Kris Letang?

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
So what do you want for Kris Letang?

Just not having him on the team, and not yelling at the TV every time he has the puck would be enough of a gift.

And agreed with other, I have no idea why Gud is included in the list of players that have to be traded. He has done great so far. By far the most pleasant surprise since he got traded. And this is coming form person that lives in Vancouver, and watched Canucks a lot.

I know people are against blowing things up, but at this point it is needed. Nice thing is, even if they blew it up, they would still be contending with proper return.

Maatta, JJ, Letang, Kessel, Horni, Rust I would ship out. Maatta and JJ wouldnt get much back at all, but getting rid of them and their contract would be great. it would give them cap room to either sign some players, or be able to resign pending UFA/RFAs (Schultz, Murray and McCann are RFAs or UFAs in 2 years) Other 4 could get some really good returns, especially if packaged together. Letang does have a list of 18 teams he can be traded to, so I am sure they would be able to work it out

Last edited:

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Holy hell, talk about some hot takes up in here. I legitimately laughed with anger at some of the things being said.
Geno is still a superstar, Kessel is not a plug, and Guds is not our most pressing problem on D. Also, Letang was in consideration for Norris most of the year.
What in the hell are some of you guys watching, or in any case what drugs are being taken to create these illusions? Because I am down with some straight up hallucination if the cost isnt too steep.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Holy hell, talk about some hot takes up in here. I legitimately laughed with anger at some of the things being said.
Geno is still a superstar, Kessel is not a plug, and Guds is not our most pressing problem on D. Also, Letang was in consideration for Norris most of the year.
What in the hell are some of you guys watching, or in any case what drugs are being taken to create these illusions? Because I am down with some straight up hallucination if the cost isnt too steep.

Letang is a superlative player and our 2nd best at this point behind Sid.

However, before I make him untouchable I want the organization to understand why the team so frequently plays better without him. There's a real "Ewing Theory" argument to be made with Letang.

Reactions: cvrle1

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Letang is a superlative player and our 2nd best at this point behind Sid.

However, before I make him untouchable I want the organization to understand why the team so frequently plays better without him. There's a real "Ewing Theory" argument to be made with Letang.
To me the only players that are untouchables are Malkin and Sid. But in saying that, there are a few guys who you better be getting an overpayment for if you are gonna trade them.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I read somewhere that the Pens need to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs to break even financially. If 1st round exits become a common occurrence expect some cap casualties.

With that being said, none of the stars are going anywhere. Even Kessel is unlikely to go anywhere. $6.8 million for an 80+ point player is a steal in today's NHL.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I read somewhere that the Pens need to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs to break even financially. If 1st round exits become a common occurrence expect some cap casualties.

With that being said, none of the stars are going anywhere. Even Kessel is unlikely to go anywhere. $6.8 million for an 80+ point player is a steal in today's NHL.

This is why I think the noose for JR and Sully is much shorter than some are saying. 2 years JR got championships. 2 years JR’s team basically backed into the playoffs.

This isn’t Shero where the team was constant playoff locks and for the most part competitive once there.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin to the Kings.

You know, there's actually one more angle in a Malkin trade that I hadn't considered. We already know a team would think 'he'll be 33, only has 2 years left, is coming off a down year, and is hurt for 25% of the season most seasons'. Frankly, I'm not even sure any of those things would be the biggest red flag. The biggest red flag: the prospect of Malkin deciding not to play the two years and simply to return to Russia to play for his hometown would, I'd think, give another GM pause.

As I've said, you'd be lucky to get for Malkin what JR gave up for Phil (and all of that only amounted to Kapanen making an impact 3-4 years later). Plus, you'd either be eating money, like Toronto did for Phil or taking a cap dump back . . . or both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad