Ron Cook at it again with Malkin trade in the offseason...

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I was never a huge fan of Ron Cook, but here we go again with all the Malkin trade in the offseason nonsense. Even a thought that it may happen is beyond stupid. I sometimes swear he does this as click-bate. So to save you all from clicking, here is the full article:

There’s a chance the Penguins will beat the New York Islanders in Game 4 Tuesday night at PPG Paints Arena. They could win Game 5 on Long Island Thursday night and Game 6 back here Saturday. They might even climb all the way out of their 0-3 hole and win the darned series. I wouldn’t put anything past a Sidney Crosby-led team. Four teams in NHL history have survived that 0-3 thing. Why not the Penguins?

Sorry, I was dreaming there for a bit.

There are a lot of reasons to think the Islanders will take out the Penguins, the primary one being they are the better team even if they don’t have better top-end talent.

That’s why my advice to you this morning is simple and to the point: Enjoy watching the boys in Game 4. Chances are it will be the final time to see them together on home ice. There’s no way Jim Rutherford keeps this group together if it goes out in the first round a season after being eliminated in the second round by the Washington Capitals. At least one of the stars will be with another team next season. I’m guessing more than one.

Crosby and Jake Guentzel are the only untouchables on the roster.

Matt Murray, Kris Letang, Brian Dumoulin, Justin Schultz and Marcus Petterson likely will be back.

But the others?

I won’t be surprised if any are moved.

That includes Evgeni Malkin. I still think the Penguins will keep him, but I’m not convinced that’s the right thing. Malkin turns 33 on July 31. By his admission, he’s coming off a disappointing regular season. He’s still good enough to get a hat trick Tuesday night, but he no longer dominates games the way he once did.

Phil Kessel is the most likely star to be traded. The Penguins have tried to move him after each of the past two seasons but couldn’t swing a deal. They will during this offseason. It’s time to move on.

And Patric Hornqvist? I love his compete level and toughness, but he was relegated to third-line duty for much of the season. I’m thinking the Penguins are paying him $5.3 million a year for more.

Hornqvist’s deal through the 2022-23 season isn’t the only one that no longer looks like a bargain for the Penguins. Malkin is signed through 2022 at $9.5 million per season. Kessel at $6.8 million through 2022, although Toronto is paying $1.2 million per season. Letang at $7.25 million through 2022. Jack Johnson at $3.25 million through 2023; he was a healthy scratch for Game 1 against the Islanders. Nick Bjugstad at $4.1 million through 2021. Bryan Rust at $3.5 million through 2022. Olli Maatta at $4.08 million through 2022; he was a healthy scratch for Games 2 and 3 against the Islanders.

Good luck to Rutherford sorting through that mess and coming up with a way to make the Penguins more of a Stanley Cup threat.

Good luck to Mike Sullivan trying to win with a new group. There is no way his job is in jeopardy — he is a terrific coach — but pressure on him will build if the team gets off to a slow start next season. No sport treats its coaches with less respect than hockey.

No matter what happens against the Islanders, the Penguins have had a terrific run during the Crosby-Malkin era. They have made the playoffs 13 consecutive years, the longest active streak in the NHL. They have won three Cups, one more than they did during the Lemieux era. They always will be remembered fondly. They always will have a prominent place in Pittsburgh sports history.

Every city should be so lucky to have a hockey club with that extraordinary success.

But, sadly, all good things must come to an end. I hate to think it, but we could be at that point with these Penguins.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
As for his list of untouchables, I hope he is wrong with Letang. As good as he was, he causes more issues with his stupid play, and costs pens games. If rumor is true that Preds are looking at trading Subban away, i would have no issue doing 1-1 trade for Letang. Subban is a character sure, but he wasnt kicked out of Montreal because he is crappy player, but because of character that he is.

I know this will be unpopular choice, but Letang, Maatta, Horni and possibly Kessel should be dealt away. Oh and Rust, Rust too, so that Sulli cannot use him on top 2 lines any more.

Reactions: bigkam and tread102

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Certainly not a knee jerk article.

Malkin isn't going anywhere, full stop

Thats his forte. He has done this sort of nonsense piece so many times I lost count. He is all about knee jerk journalism, especially when it comes to pens. Hell, he wanted Malkin traded several years ago because they are done, and they went and won back to back cups.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As for his list of untouchables, I hope he is wrong with Letang. As good as he was, he causes more issues with his stupid play, and costs pens games. If rumor is true that Preds are looking at trading Subban away, i would have no issue doing 1-1 trade for Letang. Subban is a character sure, but he wasnt kicked out of Montreal because he is crappy player, but because of character that he is.

I know this will be unpopular choice, but Letang, Maatta, Horni and possibly Kessel should be dealt away. Oh and Rust, Rust too, so that Sulli cannot use him on top 2 lines any more.

Subban’s style of play makes Letang look like a rocket surgeon.

There’s a reason two teams have had a desire to move on from him.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Subban’s style of play makes Letang look like a rocket surgeon.

There’s a reason two teams have had a desire to move on from him.

I really dont think he is worse than Letang. And unlike Letang he knows how to get puck on the net at least. He doesnt shoot it in people's shin or way wide of the net. Both players are risk/reward types, but Letang has been playing like he doesnt care any more this and last season. He was never interested in refining his game, cleaning it up, and becoming a player that he should have been. For all the sheer amazing skill, he has just as much ego to go along with it as well. He does his own thing, and it costs pens games. And when he messes up, he always has an excuse that it wasnt his fault, or similar.

After game 1 when he fubared the puck in OT and pens lost, his excuse was, I just lost the puck, it happens. It shouldnt happen, not as often as it does with him.

Yes I understand that this sound like Subban as well, but at this point I just had enough of Letang. Pens proved that they can win without him. They were 7-2-2 this year without him, with lower GAA. And they won cup without him as well.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really dont think he is worse than Letang. And unlike Letang he knows how to get puck on the net at least. He doesnt shoot it in people's shin or way wide of the net. Both players are risk/reward types, but Letang has been playing like he doesnt care any more this and last season. He was never interested in refining his game, cleaning it up, and becoming a player that he should have been. For all the sheer amazing skill, he has just as much ego to go along with it as well. He does his own thing, and it costs pens games. And when he messes up, he always has an excuse that it wasnt his fault, or similar.

After game 1 when he fubared the puck in OT and pens lost, his excuse was, I just lost the puck, it happens. It shouldnt happen, not as often as it does with him.

Yes I understand that this sound like Subban as well, but at this point I just had enough of Letang. Pens proved that they can win without him. They were 7-2-2 this year without him, with lower GAA. And they won cup without him as well.

All I can tell you is Subban is worse than Letang. He’s one of the dumber blueliners I’ve ever watched. I shake my head constantly watching him, and that’s again why the Habs kicked him to the curb and now Nashville wants to.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I’m glad I don’t live in Pittsburgh anymore. It was terrible listening to Squidward on the radio blab on about **** he knows nothing about.
I remember one time, on the sports call show, he called #8, Dah-MULE-yen.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
All I can tell you is Subban is worse than Letang. He’s one of the dumber blueliners I’ve ever watched. I shake my head constantly watching him, and that’s again why the Habs kicked him to the curb and now Nashville wants to.

Thats fair enough. I cant say I watched a tonne of Subban's games, so there is that as well. I just think that he would be more open to refining his game and changing up few things, if he was working with Gonch. It's not like we are talking about a scrub D man here. I cant see Letang ever doing something like that. He hasnt done it his whole career, so he isnt going to start now.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
While Malkin won't be traded, I think the Pens should give it consideration if an amazing offer materialized. He only play's 3/4 of a season, injury prone and had an awful season and has problems keeping his emotions in check.

Maybe he can head to the KHL - where Eastern European Pens go to pasture.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't get what Cook said that was so bad.

He said he thinks the Pens will keep Geno.

Hes expecting changes to happen with Phil being the most likely to go.

That's how i feel as well.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
While Malkin won't be traded, I think the Pens should give it consideration if an amazing offer materialized. He only play's 3/4 of a season, injury prone and had an awful season and has problems keeping his emotions in check.

Maybe he can head to the KHL - where Eastern European Pens go to pasture.

Always blaame the russian. Out of Malkin, Kessel and Crosby - Crosby has been the worst. Does that mean we should trade him? HELL NO.

This debacle is on the GMJR, Johnson, Maatta, Gudbranson and Sullivan. One or more of these needs to be gone (preferably not Mike Sullivan, since I still have a lot of faith in him)

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
I wonder how/if he'll react to Gonchar being fired.

Why would Gonch be fired? If there is one coach on this team that shouldnt be fired it is him. He is a miracle worker, and turned around almost every Dman that came in. He isnt responsible for D pairings and defensive play during the game, so there is 0 reason for him to be let go. I think Marten is actual defensive coach.

I guess Cook forgot to conveniently leave out that Malkin has No Movement Clause as well

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
1. Ron Cook is an idiot.

2. What will a Malkin trade you get? Well, because of HIS limited NTC, Kessel effectively had almost full veto power over a trade when he was with Toronto. Phil was 27 and signed for several years, and the Leafs still had to eat 1.2M of his deal to get back what JR paid (and JR is usually on the more generous end as GM's who hold leverage in trade deals go). Malkin will be 33, has 2 years left at 9.5M, is coming off a pretty bad year by his standards, and has the injury history. I think what Phil got is on the very high end of what Malkin gets you this summer (and you'll probably get a cap dump back or have to eat salary to get there).

3. Because of this, I can't fathom the Pens asking Malkin to waive his NTC. But, if they do, then you don't get to put that genie back into the bottle. Anyway, whether they ask or he asks, the Pens lose big for 2-3 years in the deal. Maybe some of the futures pan out like Kapanen has in Toronto, but that's a maybe, and again that's 2-3 years down the line. Anyone else see Sid not exactly being enamored with that idea?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad