Ron Cook at it again with Malkin trade in the offseason...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This is why I think the noose for JR and Sully is much shorter than some are saying. 2 years JR got championships. 2 years JR’s team basically backed into the playoffs.

This isn’t Shero where the team was constant playoff locks and for the most part competitive once there.

Basically, thanks for the 2 cups, but 5 years after JR started, we're in a worse position than he found us. As to Sully, who knows . . . I figured he had a ton of rope, but over the last 12 months or so, he's pretty much (metaphorically) hung himself.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Basically, thanks for the 2 cups, but 5 years after JR started, we're in a worse position than he found us. As to Sully, who knows . . . I figured he had a ton of rope, but over the last 12 months or so, he's pretty much (metaphorically) hung himself.

I dunno. You look at this from a management perspective and either way you slice or dice it I’m paying 4 mil for a player that isn’t in the line-up because of my GM knee jerking defensemen into the roster. And these aren’t temporary contracts.

Sully doesn’t have that.

I disagree with your Malkin assessment. I think you get a ton back for him. He’s contract is a steal and also a great asset to a team that is just starting to contend.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I dunno. You look at this from a management perspective and either way you slice or dice it I’m paying 4 mil for a player that isn’t in the line-up because of my GM knee jerking defensemen into the roster. And these aren’t temporary contracts.

Sully doesn’t have that.

I disagree with your Malkin assessment. I think you get a ton back for him. He’s contract is a steal and also a great asset to a team that is just starting to contend.

No you won't. For the same reason Toronto had to pay the Pens to take Phil. Geno can name where he'd be willing to go, and I doubt there would be more than 4-5 teams.

And, by the way, the GM shouldn't be paying 4M for crap like Maatta any more than he should be paying 3M for crap like Johnson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No you won't. For the same reason Toronto had to pay the Pens to take Phil. Geno can name where he'd be willing to go, and I doubt there would be more than 4-5 teams.

And, by the way, the GM shouldn't be paying 4M for crap like Maatta any more than he should be paying 3M for crap like Johnson.

I think if the conversation comes to trading Malkin. He wants out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think if the conversation comes to trading Malkin. He wants out.

Oh, I agree with that, because the Pens lose the second that happens.

There's no 'winning' that deal except MAYBE 3-4 years down the line, and I can't see Sid being too interested in signing up for a 'maybe in 3-4 years' retooling plan.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

To be fair, Maatta wasn't always crap. He was worth that when he was signed. Johnson always has been, is currently, and always will be crap.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To be fair, Maatta wasn't always crap. He was worth that when he was signed. Johnson always has been, is currently, and always will be crap.

And?

Neither one of them is worth what they're getting.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

There's no 'winning' that deal except MAYBE 3-4 years down the line, and I can't see Sid being too interested in signing up for a 'maybe in 3-4 years' retooling plan.

While I agree, it always depends on the return. With the 1st you get maybe you draft the next Pettersson.

Like I said previously I think Geno stays a Pen and leaves for Russia after the lockout ala Datsyuk.

Reactions: KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Maatta has never been crap, not outright at least. However, his contract was signed under the assumption that he'd improve with the injury & tumor stuff behind him, making it a bargain. He hasn't, probably because of his lack of natural athleticism.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Can't believe there are people saying Subban is better than Letang.

Uh its not close as to who is better. Letang is.

And he's 2 mil cheaper.

Trading Malkin or Letang is very idiotic.

Malkin is a top 10 Center.

Letang is a top 3 Dman.

You're not gonna get better value than these two at their cap hits.

Letang is always the scapegoat to the not so smart hockey minds.

Reactions: HMPens

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
It’s always been about balancing the great play vs the random peewee level brain cramps w Letang.
Unfortunately the brain cramps have literally lost us several playoff games last year and this year.

Up to you if you want to give the good more weight. Fair enough. I’m not there w Letang.
As a goalie “it’s not the ones you stop it’s the ones you let in” I’ve always been cautious about players who have a really low “bad play” level in their envelope, because the horrible plays can destabilize a team and a bench far more than the great plays can elevate it. Don’t have to look any further than Dumo going ape sh** on Letang in G5 Caps last year.
Destabilizing.
Just like the G that lets in a beach ball upsets team confidence, even though they may have made 6 great saves.
The steady goalie that makes 5 of those saves, but stops the beach ball...keeps a team on a more even keel.

And that’s not even discussing injury history, stupid decisions leading to more injury, and of course the PP issues.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Malkin would have to regress significantly for the Pens to send him away. I don't have the #'s but I'm willing to bet he makes the Pens more money than what they are paying him. I am also willing to bet that fan support will decrease once Geno is off the team even if team success remains the same.

Star power matters.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Curiously enough, Sid's got 3 more years where he's making "star" money. His salary drops to $3 million (LOL Jack Johnson makes more at that point) in 4 years.

I've wondered how long Sid's "passion" for the game will remain at such a high level, especially since the next lockout is right around when his lower salary years start to kick in.

Thing is, I just can't see a guy who loves hockey so much retiring that early. He'll be 35 years old (turning 36 the next summer) when he starts making $3 million. If he was turning 38 or something that might be different, but I just don't see him hanging them up at that age. And at that point, I don't know if he'd bother asking for a trade. Does winning another Cup offset just playing another 3 or 4 years on a bad team to keep his legacy intact as a life long Pen?

Reactions: KIRK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... I hate to even be slightly optimistic but is it really such a foregone conclusion that there will be a lockout?

Oh what the hell am I even talking about... of course there will be.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
So his shoulder surgery impacts how slow he is?
No losing his thyroid gland impacts that.
Read up on hypothyroidism and the inability of taking a pill every day to replace a vital endocrine system gland that drives your energy levels.
He wasn’t slow when he got here.
His energy is low now thanks to having to live on Synthroid.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
So his shoulder surgery impacts how slow he is?

And anyway not saying he’s a great fit here, he isn’t esp if the forwards abandon the zone and leave more open space for the D to defend which puts more burden on footspeed.

But the fact that Maatta is playing at this level at all, after thyroidectomy is actually pretty incredible.
Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be traded to a team where he fits better. He’s smart, has good IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad