Ron Cook at it again with Malkin trade in the offseason...

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Always blaame the russian. Out of Malkin, Kessel and Crosby - Crosby has been the worst. Does that mean we should trade him? HELL NO.

This debacle is on the GMJR, Johnson, Maatta, Gudbranson and Sullivan. One or more of these needs to be gone (preferably not Mike Sullivan, since I still have a lot of faith in him)

Nope, not a Russian thing. I feel Letang should be shipped out if the right offer was available. Same emotional issues as Geno, and also injury-prone like Geno.

And same goes for Kessel - if the deal is right, do it and trade him.

They won't trade Crosby cause he's the face of the Franchise whether we like it or not. But Sid has been awful too this post-season.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
How did he react when Gonchar signed elsewhere? How did he react when Neal was traded? It's a business, and Malkin knows it. Not you, but there are some people who confuse his command of the English language with intelligence and thoughtfulness.

I don't mean it that way. He's very smart.

But you know, there are things that keep a person happy in a workplace especially when things aren't going well. Having your best friend and mentor as a close colleague may be one such thing for Malkin.

I'd also say that Gonchar signing elsewhere to make big money is a little bit different than being fired for not being a good enough assistant coach.

I don't think Malkin is likely to ask out this summer. The organization clearly showed how much it valued him with the 1,000 point celebration. However, if he does ask out I'm guessing Gonchar's departure would have something to do with it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't mean it that way. He's very smart.

But you know, there are things that keep a person happy in a workplace especially when things aren't going well. Having your best friend and mentor as a close colleague may be one such thing for Malkin.

I'd also say that Gonchar signing elsewhere to make big money is a little bit different than being fired for not being a good enough assistant coach.

I don't think Malkin is likely to ask out this summer. The organization clearly showed how much it valued him with the 1,000 point celebration. However, if he does ask out I'm guessing Gonchar's departure would have something to do with it.

I don't think that would do it, because Gonchar really is just a part time assistant coach.

gac3378

Nov 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
Subban’s style of play makes Letang look like a rocket surgeon.

There’s a reason two teams have had a desire to move on from him.

I've always have been a letang supporter and anti subban. But to give letang the title of "rocket surgeon" over the difference between the two is a lot. Sure maybe a "brain surgeon" or "rocket scientist" would work better but those "rocket surgeons" are way more schooled, skilled, and paid. I sincerely hope you are picking up my sarcasm, my level of humor and wit has dropped with each of these losses.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I was never a huge fan of Ron Cook, but here we go again with all the Malkin trade in the offseason nonsense. Even a thought that it may happen is beyond stupid. I sometimes swear he does this as click-bate. So to save you all from clicking, here is the full article:

There’s a chance the Penguins will beat the New York Islanders in Game 4 Tuesday night at PPG Paints Arena. They could win Game 5 on Long Island Thursday night and Game 6 back here Saturday. They might even climb all the way out of their 0-3 hole and win the darned series. I wouldn’t put anything past a Sidney Crosby-led team. Four teams in NHL history have survived that 0-3 thing. Why not the Penguins?

Sorry, I was dreaming there for a bit.

There are a lot of reasons to think the Islanders will take out the Penguins, the primary one being they are the better team even if they don’t have better top-end talent.

That’s why my advice to you this morning is simple and to the point: Enjoy watching the boys in Game 4. Chances are it will be the final time to see them together on home ice. There’s no way Jim Rutherford keeps this group together if it goes out in the first round a season after being eliminated in the second round by the Washington Capitals. At least one of the stars will be with another team next season. I’m guessing more than one.

Crosby and Jake Guentzel are the only untouchables on the roster.

Matt Murray, Kris Letang, Brian Dumoulin, Justin Schultz and Marcus Petterson likely will be back.

But the others?

I won’t be surprised if any are moved.

That includes Evgeni Malkin. I still think the Penguins will keep him, but I’m not convinced that’s the right thing. Malkin turns 33 on July 31. By his admission, he’s coming off a disappointing regular season. He’s still good enough to get a hat trick Tuesday night, but he no longer dominates games the way he once did.

Phil Kessel is the most likely star to be traded. The Penguins have tried to move him after each of the past two seasons but couldn’t swing a deal. They will during this offseason. It’s time to move on.

And Patric Hornqvist? I love his compete level and toughness, but he was relegated to third-line duty for much of the season. I’m thinking the Penguins are paying him $5.3 million a year for more.

Hornqvist’s deal through the 2022-23 season isn’t the only one that no longer looks like a bargain for the Penguins. Malkin is signed through 2022 at $9.5 million per season. Kessel at $6.8 million through 2022, although Toronto is paying $1.2 million per season. Letang at $7.25 million through 2022. Jack Johnson at $3.25 million through 2023; he was a healthy scratch for Game 1 against the Islanders. Nick Bjugstad at $4.1 million through 2021. Bryan Rust at $3.5 million through 2022. Olli Maatta at $4.08 million through 2022; he was a healthy scratch for Games 2 and 3 against the Islanders.

Good luck to Rutherford sorting through that mess and coming up with a way to make the Penguins more of a Stanley Cup threat.

Good luck to Mike Sullivan trying to win with a new group. There is no way his job is in jeopardy — he is a terrific coach — but pressure on him will build if the team gets off to a slow start next season. No sport treats its coaches with less respect than hockey.

No matter what happens against the Islanders, the Penguins have had a terrific run during the Crosby-Malkin era. They have made the playoffs 13 consecutive years, the longest active streak in the NHL. They have won three Cups, one more than they did during the Lemieux era. They always will be remembered fondly. They always will have a prominent place in Pittsburgh sports history.

Every city should be so lucky to have a hockey club with that extraordinary success.

But, sadly, all good things must come to an end. I hate to think it, but we could be at that point with these Penguins.

See, I don't think the Islanders have been the better team. They are pretty even in every category. The difference being the Islanders are getting above average goaltending, where Murray looks like he doesn't know what he's doing on some shots. With a bounce here and there, the series is easily 2-1 Islanders, maybe even 2-1 Pens. It just seems like everytime the Pens gain momentum, Murray lets in a bad goal and everything shifts the Islanders way. The Crosby line has been having terrible luck on shots, passing into skates and such. At the end of the day this is still the Penguins. This is a team capable of going on a run. If they get some puck luck, it's not out of reason that they can't go on a run and rattle off 4 straight wins. Right now all the bounces are going the Islanders way.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
What are they honestly going to get for an oft-injured player with declining skills? Would what they get in return be better than playing him through his contract?

I'd move Kessel. That contract is a problem.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If this years Malkin is the new standard then Cook is probably right for once. But it’s way too early to tell and not even really worth it for sentimental reasons.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
What are they honestly going to get for an oft-injured player with declining skills? Would what they get in return be better than playing him through his contract?

I'd move Kessel. That contract is a problem.

I have no idea why you think that Malkin is declining. He averaged more than PPG once again, had better season that he did in 14/15 and 15/16 production wise. It's not like he forgot how to play or cant play any more. Injured, sure, but he is nowhere declining yet.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I have no idea why you think that Malkin is declining. He averaged more than PPG once again, had better season that he did in 14/15 and 15/16 production wise. It's not like he forgot how to play or cant play any more. Injured, sure, but he is nowhere declining yet.

Who were his linemates in 14/15 and 15/16?

Malkin will be 33 next season. He is in decline, and any GM they talk to will have that in mind.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
None of Letang, Kessel or Malkin will bring back equal value in a trade because of their age.

We are better off trying to extend the window with Letang, Sid and Geno + get what we can for Phil. Then, you suck for a few years and rebuild.

No to the middle of the pack purgatory.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
None of Letang, Kessel or Malkin will bring back equal value in a trade because of their age.

We are better off trying to extend the window with Letang, Sid and Geno + get what we can for Phil. Then, you suck for a few years and rebuild.

No to the middle of the pack purgatory.

Suck for a few years? It could get ugly like 2002-2005 ugly. :eek: Too many draft picks tossed away by JR so nothing much in the farm either.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

bigkam

Jun 13, 2009
We’ll see how serious the team is about moving in the right direction this summer. Kessel should be gone for sure, and I’d like to see Maatta and Letang gone as well. It’s time to bring in some real defenders, and there’s no question that has been our Achilles heel for the last two seasons.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We’ll see how serious the team is about moving in the right direction this summer. Kessel should be gone for sure, and I’d like to see Maatta and Letang gone as well. It’s time to bring in some real defenders, and there’s no question that has been our Achilles heel for the last two seasons.

Letang is a fantastic defender when he’s not trying to change his game or protect himself from injury...unfortunately when he’s been hurt, like now, he plays tentative and that hurts his game tremendously...the only worry with him is health and how many injuries he sustains when he plays the way he needs to

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Add a few >. Letang is good for the room and respected. Subban? Quite the opposite.
Subban is only in it for himself and it wears on people, I still remember in the Preds vs Pens series, Preds players looked irked to be around Subban and Subban loves the attention, dude is the epitome of attention whore.

Subban is like perfect on a team that wants more attention and needs that loud ass voice that would fit in or an obnoxious team that loves that sort of crap.

So when PK Subban becomes a Philadelphia Flyer, none of us should be shocked.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin is not getting traded...his NHL contract will expire as a Pen as it should, and Cook is an idiot as always, especially when it comes to hockey
In regards to Malkin, I see him more earning a magical rash and LTIR'd than ever asking to leave like that.

That is if he's finally figured that his body can't hold up anymore and he's frustrated trying and if he retires, the money is left on the table and he's missing out. It's the new fad.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
See, I don't think the Islanders have been the better team. They are pretty even in every category. The difference being the Islanders are getting above average goaltending, where Murray looks like he doesn't know what he's doing on some shots. With a bounce here and there, the series is easily 2-1 Islanders, maybe even 2-1 Pens. It just seems like everytime the Pens gain momentum, Murray lets in a bad goal and everything shifts the Islanders way. The Crosby line has been having terrible luck on shots, passing into skates and such. At the end of the day this is still the Penguins. This is a team capable of going on a run. If they get some puck luck, it's not out of reason that they can't go on a run and rattle off 4 straight wins. Right now all the bounces are going the Islanders way.

It's not even luck.

There's a lot of things that are just not working and the team isn't thinking outside of the box to do it. It's almost like they'd rather cut off their nose to spite their face than actually admit they need to do certain things and that's a stubborn attitude that has done this team in before and ruined years of the window to win more.

People here are talking about how the top line for VGK is fantastic and doing well. Well I know it's not ideal, but the only time Crosby and Jake looked regular season dangerous was when Kessel was on that line. They also have kept Aston-Reese in the line-up and he looks slow and just out of sorts, he's even more useless than he normally is, Johnson would have at least provided speed. After Game 2, I likely would have also put Maatta back in the line-up as well.

It's just a lot of getting in their own way and not wanting to do what needs to be done, to win. Whereas the Islanders are willing to and have bought into it and are owning our asses at our own game.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Meh baseball and football writers opining on hockey... what do you expect? Honestly most of the guys on the Fan barely know what a puck is... if the Pens got traded for an NBA team, they would be thrilled lol

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Malkin is here for the rest of his career, the faster people realize it the better like mr Cook. The only way he is gone is if he asks to leave or retires. Same with Crosby.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Malkin will never be traded because he puts butts in the seats. Will be interesting to see if the Penguins continue the sellout streak if things get tough next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad