Sportsnet: Rogers SportsNET new NHL National Broadcaster. Begins 2014-15 season athrough 2025

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Does this mean I can go back to a basic cable package and save money to watch hockey now? :O

That's what was thinking. This is great news. It means lower cable TV rates for everyone in the GTA watching hockey.

And if you don't have cable TV but get CBC over-the-air for free, it means you get to watch even more games in HD for free.

Feb 24, 2004
I imagine TSN will still cover hockey and will have a need for analysts in that regard. 12 years is a long time - by that point, the perception of tsn might be as a second tier network.

TSN needs to invest heavily in other sports IMHO. Soccer, football, baseball, basketball. Give people who don't want 24:7 hockey coverage an option.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Back to CBC thus pushing Hughson back west.

See not all doom and gloom. :D

He also does CFL games. So I doubt that happens.

I really hope TSN starts a Leafs regional channel. TSN-Leafs (like Habs and Jets).

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
He also does CFL games. So I doubt that happens.

I really hope TSN starts a Leafs regional channel. TSN-Leafs
(like Habs and Jets).

This. Considering that Bell and Rogers do own the Leafs, I could imagine that go with that but this time around, TSN would probably get the same amount of games as Leafs TV about 12 game each which leaves CBC and Rogers Sportsnet with the remaining 58...

that being said, since the Maple Leafs already got Leafs TV as the regional broadcast, they might not do so...

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
CFL and WJHC is going to be promoted more and more now.

Wonder if you'll see Cuthbert and Ferraro migrate over.. May push Hughson/Healy out west or into the studio..

Serenade

Feb 5, 2008
They blew all their money on the original Hockey Night in Canada Theme. Seriously, that was a wasted investment.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Damn this sucks, I've always preferred TSN to SN! Not just that I live in Kingston which means I don't even get SN, the only sports channels I do get are TSN and CBC.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Ferraro and Healy on the same network? I'd ****ing puke.

Whine as much as you may, but Ferraro is still the best color guy on Canadian hockey networks (except for part-timer Harry Neale).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't mind Sportsnet being included, however I'm disappointed that CBC is still around. Maybe it's me but over the past few years I kind of find their broadcasting style to be more arrogant. Plus I'm sick of always having Hughson, Simpson, and Healy broacasting the Leafs games on Saturday nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad