Sportsnet: Rogers SportsNET new NHL National Broadcaster. Begins 2014-15 season athrough 2025

Penalty Kill Icing*

More sportsnet? Yay! More mid-game advertisements blocking my view of the puck!

I can bear anything, but absolutely hate that. And only Rogers ****ing sportsnet does it.

Anyone remember Vtech powerplay? (Never going to buy Vtech phone in my life as protest). I guess nowadays, it is Intact Insurance. I only watched 10 minutes tonight, but they missed live action because they were too busy showing commercials.

****ing bush league.

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008
wow. shocked by this. It'll be interesting to see what happens now. TSN clearly has the better talent.. these guys arent going to go unemployed. At the same time TSN cant afford to pay them without the hockey revenue.

Even though I like both the sportsnet and TSN crews:

Duthie>Millard
Bobby Mac/Dregger/Lebrun >>> Kypreos/Maclean/Cox? (lol)

It'll be interesting to see who replaces who. I think Duthie would be a good fit as the new MacLean when he retires.. although it seems like CBC has had Elliotte Friedman in line for that spot.

Lots of room for new talent on CBC's 2nd period intermission as well. But, CBC isnt a full time gig either, only once a week (maybe a good fit for Bobby Mac as his career winds down)

Its great to talk about these guys like they have about players throughout their careers. :)

Would anyone do Kypreos, Cox and an intern for Dreger? Fair trade?

mikebel111*

Wow! Pretty big news

But im confused. Does it mean that TSN wont do NHL games anymore?
If true, this will be interesting. Liked TSN the best. But this is really surprising.
We shall see what happens

FakeKidPoker*

This is amazing news.

Best news in at least 30 hours for me.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Typical NHL. Change a network that has done nothing but grow your brand for a bunch of hacks!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
SportsCenter is unbearable without Jay and Dan, and now it appears we will see Bobby Mac, and Dreger head to Sportsnet, and I think Dutchie and Lebrun will head to CBC.

A panel of Millard, Kypreos, Dreger and McKenzie would be pretty solid.

Bad news for John Shannon and Doug MacLean me thinks

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
The upside of more Leafs games on CBC is that other teams' fans will get even madder at the Toronto-bias :sarcasm:

But I like CBC broadcasts- just no Don on weekdays please. More Andi is okay, though.

FakeKidPoker*

Where would Duthie go?

CBC? What would he do? He cannot hold a candle to Ron Mclean.. unless Ron wants a lighter work schedule maybe Duthie can work the late game hosting duties.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Have Dutchie do pre-game stuff. Ron and Don do first intermission, and then at 2nd, Dutchie hosts Lebrun, Weekes, Friedmann, and Stock. Ron and Don do post-game. Dutchie does the late game.

With only two networks covering NHL hockey, the quality of panels should rise;

Millard, Dreger, MacKenzie, Kyper, Shannon

And

Dutchie, Lebrun, Friedman, Weekes and Stock.

Two solid panels. Stock would be bearable because he'd talk less

FakeKidPoker*

Have Dutchie do pre-game stuff. Ron and Don do first intermission, and then at 2nd, Dutchie hosts Lebrun, Weekes, Friedmann, and Stock

nah no way.

Ron only on for 5 minutes? He is the host of HNIC.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Yay even more SN blackouts in Ottawa fml. This has to be devastating for TSN wtf are they going to cover.

Penalty Kill Icing*

OT but really hoping Stock gets pushed outside now with TSN talent transferring. Can't stand that clown.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would not be shocked to see Rogers buyout Bells stake in MLSE in a couple years

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kinda shows just how much power Rogers has over its competitors. They're just eliminating Bell from broadcasting their own team's games.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
I feel like Cuthbert does more CFL than NHL, so I think he will stay with TSN.
I'm not a huge Gord Miller fan, but I'll definitely take him over Hughson.
Actually I'd gladly take straight rink sound with no PBP over Hughson.

I thought about the hockey theme thing as well. Maybe CBC will pony up the money now if it is available, unless TSN uses it for the World Juniors and other international stuff they do.
It would warm my heart to hear it opening HNIC again though.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Sportsnet is awful.

This is the worst news Canada has received since the Halifax Explosion.

John Shannon? Nick Kypreos? Stephen Brunt? God what a horrible channel. Nobody watches Sportsnet by choice, you watch because your team is playing then change the channel as soon as you can.

Horrible news.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Expect a lot of TSN talent to move over to SN during the summer.

Sportsnet will become a super channel for hockey.

McKenzie and Dreger will both go over.

Millard, McKenzie, Dreger, Kypreos is a solid panel. As much as Kyper has his moments, he is usually solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad