Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Definitely need to add a top-9 or top-6 to play with the young guys and put the puck in the net. Doesn't need to be a 30 goal guy, but maybe someone like Dakota Joshua. I could realistically see the forwards look like:

Eklund-Granlund-Kostin
Joshua-Celebrini-Zetterlund
Bordeleau-W. Smith-Kunin
G. Smith-Sturm-Cardwell
Guschin/Graf rotate as the main injury callup. Can't put either on the 4th line.
Think that not managing to "sell high" on at least one of Bordeleau or Guschin would be a mistake. You can sell the rationale behind those guys not being NHLers by their D+4 season and point to some of the promise in the AHL (Guschin) or NHL (Bordeleau) this year. When you get into their 23 year old seasons and they're not NHLers, their value tends to crater pretty significantly.

Not saying that they hold immense value on their own, but as sweeteners to a bigger package to add a player there is value. Holding onto both undersized winger prospects through this offseason when there isn't room for both on the NHL roster next year and into the future though would be a mistake to me unless both Celebrini and Smith choose not to play in the NHL next year (something I still think is outlandish).

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Think that not managing to "sell high" on at least one of Bordeleau or Guschin would be a mistake. You can sell the rationale behind those guys not being NHLers by their D+4 season and point to some of the promise in the AHL (Guschin) or NHL (Bordeleau) this year. When you get into their 23 year old seasons and they're not NHLers, their value tends to crater pretty significantly.

Not saying that they hold immense value on their own, but as sweeteners to a bigger package to add a player there is value. Holding onto both undersized winger prospects through this offseason when there isn't room for both on the NHL roster next year though would be a mistake to me unless both Celebrini and Smith choose not to play in the NHL next year (something I still think is outlandish).
I'm good with that too. There's no way both Guschin and Bordeleau play on this team, which is why I didn't know where to include them...especially considering the other playmakers we have in Eklund, Graf, Smith, etc. who all provide more upside and/or size.

Reactions: STL Shark

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
If Smith and Celebrini play on the big club next year, feel like its going to be such a critical offseason for Mike Grier. You can't just get away with another offseason where the best you do is get some decent value from bargain basement unheralded acquisitions. Gonna have to get some quality to help guide them and not just more Kunins and Jan Ruutas.

Of course, if they return to the NCAA for another year, I'm all for another top 3 pick.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If Smith and Celebrini play on the big club next year, feel like its going to be such a critical offseason for Mike Grier. You can't just get away with another offseason where the best you do is get some decent value from bargain basement unheralded acquisitions. Gonna have to get some quality to help guide them and not just more Kunins and Jan Ruutas.

Of course, if they return to the NCAA for another year, I'm all for another top 3 pick.
To be realistic though, look at Chicago bringing in Bedard and Korchinski (finished 2nd last) or Anaheim with Carlsson (and all their other young guys) finished 3rd last. Even Columbus with Fantilli and tons of others 4th last.

Even if we bring in Smith and Celebrini, it's going to be a tough year where we finish bottom 5. People need to look at the standings...Montreal who was 5th last was closer to the playoffs than being tied with us at the bottom. We have a huge hill to climb.

Grier did say something about this year being the toughest. So I would expect he tries to improve the team, I just don't think there's a way we improve all that much given what we have.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
To be realistic though, look at Chicago bringing in Bedard and Korchinski (finished 2nd last) or Anaheim with Carlsson (and all their other young guys) finished 3rd last. Even Columbus with Fantilli and tons of others 4th last.

Even if we bring in Smith and Celebrini, it's going to be a tough year where we finish bottom 5. People need to look at the standings...Montreal who was 5th last was closer to the playoffs than being tied with us at the bottom. We have a huge hill to climb.

Grier did say something about this year being the toughest. So I would expect he tries to improve the team, I just don't think there's a way we improve all that much given what we have.
21 points the year before to get to 5th.
16 points the year before that.
29 points in 18-19.

We can literally see a improvement of 10+ wins and still be fight for top 5 pick.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
San Jose Sharks General Manager Mike Grier announced today that the organization has acquired Draymond Green from the Golden State Warriors in exchange for future considerations.

"Obviously Draymond is an extremely skilled basketball player, and I think a lot of those skills will translate to hockey. But he's gonna have to earn his spot, and I expect him to come in hungry and ready, and if he performs and outplays some of the younger or even veteran guys, then he'll get the opportunity, and we'll figure the rest out for sure," Grier explained.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think if we make any trade it should be for a youngish d man. We have a lot of forward options upcoming that could pan out but very few high quality D
I think that'll be part of the plan but I feel like there will be multiple trades this offseason to address the roster. Not a lot of guys should come back from last season especially if we're going to try and turn this team over to guys like Celebrini and Smith. Emberson, Mukhamadullin, and Thrun should be in the lineup on defense as a base. The rest is up in the air to me.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Give me Tyler Toffoli. I'm guessing the Killorn contract (6.25x4) would get it done.
Give me Perron over Toffoli. Same caliber and don't have to commit near the amount of term to Perron. Though I don't know if Perron still hates SJ from the Thornton hit.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Here's a fun fact. 9 of the 10 centers in the NHL (IMHO) MacKinnon, Matthews, Draisaitl, Hughes, Crosby, Barkov, and Eichel, were drafted top 3, 5 were drafted 1, 2 2nd, 2 3rd and I'd have Peterson (5th overall) as the 10th. Next year I expect Bedard will also make it 6/10 if he hasn't already. I'd hear arguments for Point, Aho, Reinhart, Barzal, Miller, Hischier, or Stuzle, but generally the point remains. Premier centers are almost exclusively found in the top 3, and 50-60% of the time they come from the #1 overall pick.

Defense is a bit harder, as consensus and value (offensive vs. defense vs. two-way) and age/consistency vary a bit more season to season.

Josi, Makar, Hedman, MacAvoy, Dahlin, Fox, Slavin, Morrisey, Heiskanen, and Hughes would be my top 10.

1st overall- 1
2nd overall- 1
3rd overall- 1
4th overall- 1
11-20th: 2
2nd rounder: 1
3rd rounder: 1
4th rounder: 1

For fairness- Doughty (2nd) and Pietroangelo (4th) are on the back-nine while Sanderson (5th), Power (1st), and Seider (6th) have a real chance to replace. The broader point is, thank God we have Celebrini. It might take a lot of darts to find our #1 d-man, but it doesn't take #1 overall 50% of the time!!

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
San Jose Sharks General Manager Mike Grier announced today that the organization has acquired Draymond Green from the Golden State Warriors in exchange for future considerations.

"Obviously Draymond is an extremely skilled basketball player, and I think a lot of those skills will translate to hockey. But he's gonna have to earn his spot, and I expect him to come in hungry and ready, and if he performs and outplays some of the younger or even veteran guys, then he'll get the opportunity, and we'll figure the rest out for sure," Grier explained.
I guess that answers my question in the other thread about whether or not Draymond could skate...

Reactions: sharski

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Give me Perron over Toffoli. Same caliber and don't have to commit near the amount of term to Perron. Though I don't know if Perron still hates SJ from the Thornton hit.

I like Perron too. Tofolli is pretty interesting to me as a player, but I think the likelihood of years 3-6 in a contract for Tofolli would be rough. Maybe we don't need to offer that long with the offer of 'how'd you like to be on Celebrini's wing', but I had thought big money or big term was going to be our way in. While Perron might start to look rough in year 2 of a 3 year, but he'll cost less and he might not get more than two years.

That said, I do think we ned to add at least 2 top 6 forwards if both Smith and Celebrini are coming up, or maybe we reallocate Eklund, Granlund and Zetterlund to protect the rooks, but I like the Lund line getting heavy minutes.

Eklund-Celebrini-Vet UFA/Trade
Couture-Smith-Zetterlund
Musty-Granlund-Vet UFA/Trade

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Couture-Celebrini-Vet UFA
Kostin/Musty/Bords?-Smith-Vet UFA

I'd like to avoid two rooks playing together, which means 6 vets if Musty makes it. We have three proven NHL players in he lunds and maybe four if Couture can play, which we may have an inkling in a few month. Sharks need at least two more.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I can see Marner coming here after being totally exhausted by the Leafs fanbase. Gets to stay close to his adoptive parents in Patty and Joe. Small market. Up and coming team.

I’d wait til he was a UFA though.

Reactions: Herschel

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tavares is the guy you move on from if you can make it happen then Marner if you can't but paying four guys in the neighborhood of 11+ means at least one is on your 2nd line which is a pretty big overpayment. And if I'm the Sharks, neither of Tavares or Marner make sense as one year rentals this season due to our lack of retention slots. I'd consider signing Marner in free agency after next season but he'd have to take a paycut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad