Prospect Info: Rodion Amirov discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Any updates with Amirov? Weren't they eyeing late November as a return date?

Not sure if means anything positive or negative, but his teammates have stepped up support for him in public recently. Salavat's captain even had a graphic of Amirov put on his skates.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not sure if means anything positive or negative, but his teammates have stepped up support for him in public recently. Salavat's captain even had a graphic of Amirov put on his skates.
I would hate to speculate but you get the feeling the young man is in the middle of one hell of a battle and not on the other end of it at the moment,

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Gotta feel for the kid. Initial reports indicated he might start skating back in November and here we are almost in February with no new info. I’d be shocked to see him lace up skates competitively ever again. Just praying he can live a long and healthy life at this point.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I would hate to speculate but you get the feeling the young man is in the middle of one hell of a battle and not on the other end of it at the moment,
Yeah, I wondered when they brought him to Toronto, if it may have been more for medical reasons. I honestly have given up hope of him one day playing for the Leafs. Focused now entirely on him surviving. Some of the subtle statements given over the last few months have only solidified my concern. Man I hope I am wrong.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Not sure if no news is good news but i can't find any recent mention of how his treatment is going.
I'm rooting for you to have a long healthy life Rodion. Best of luck.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
If he actually beat brain cancer and makes it to the NHL this kid is never going to be rattled by anything. What could be a harder task than what he has already done?

Reactions: smitty10

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So far it's unclear what is his health status. The team re-signed him for a year, but that could be half-symbolic. Hopefully more good news to follow.

15 million rubles is a lot of money for symbolism. Ufa is fairly successful, but they aren't throwing almost 200k USD out on a guy for him to not play.

For perspective, Daniil Bashkarov, who is also an 01 born about 5 months before Amirov and has put up 37 points in almost 150 KHL games over the past 3-4 years, just re-signed for 9 million rubles. He has been a fixture in their bottom 6 the past 2 years, and is probably making bottom 6 money to continue filling that role. 15 million rubles for a team like Ufa is easily middle-6 money, and they are probably getting him at a discount because of his illness. They are probably willing to play him even more if he shows well.

This is a quote from their coach:
I am glad that Rodion Amirov remains in the team. I and the entire coaching staff count on him and hope for a speedy return to the ice. Rodion is constantly in touch, he supported the team all season long. He is a talented and strong guy who will certainly strengthen us,” said Salavat Yulaev head coach Viktor Kozlov.

That certainly sounds like a guy who, for all intents and purposes, is playing next year. May take him some time to get back to speed but he should be playing and he should be an important piece for them.

Mar 12, 2009
I don't think anyone should get their hopes up for a meaningful return to hockey. If he can lead a normal life going forward, or even for a decade or so without treatments/recovery hindering his quality of life, that would be a success at this point in my eyes. Unfortunately, even with successful surgery, tumours have a nasty habit of coming back or growing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad