Post-Game Talk: Rock Bottom, and Wrestlemania isn’t until Saturday

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Thos post and your other just riddled with lack of knowledge about the team.

"Leo can't drive a line" - apparently you've been in 2 comas. The 2x McD was hurt for long periods. Drai/Hall was dominant for months. The 2nd time RNH/Drai/Yamo were the best line in the NHL for 2months

Also, RNH at center? It's pretty proven at this point RNH is waaaaay more effective on wing
And you must be in a deeper coma if you think Leo is an effective center. Never stops in his own end. Sweeps and swings. Its not that he cant….he just cheats more often than not. Hes had some better games in the second half but needs to play defense with more consistency. Hes a better winger. One of the best ever when he plays the right way

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The Oilers are never going to have an elite D and goaltending. I don't think they ever did in their history really, the Oilers have been built from forward on down with a few exceptions so with this being the case, the Oilers need strength in numbers up front so when they're not getting contributions from support players there's always an incredible burden placed on two players to produce all the time. Their GA is actually pretty decent in the regular season but it seems to crater against playoff teams so they need the offense to outscore it and they just get enough from enough people.

Guys like Ryan and Janmark are such a tiny symptom of a much bigger issue and that is RNH, Kane and McLeod. You can't have a top line winger go scoreless for this long playing with generational talent. RNH pulls his "just sort of there" act way too often in a position where he should be scoring goals, he doesn't use the middle of the ice and he doesn't bear down on gifts from McDavid. Kane hasn't scored a goal since the Lincoln administration, you can't have a top 6/9 winger go absent for that long. McLeod provides nothing when not playing with Draisaitl this season, same with Foegele really.

You can have a 4th line that can't score as long as they're defensively sound and your 3rd line can score. The Oilers have a 3rd AND 4th line that can't score which isn't going to cut it come playoff time. They've kept GA down at a decent rate but you're not going to win many playoff series with them throwing up blanks on the scoresheet most of the time, depth is usually the decider in playoff series and the Oilers come up short in that regard even though they usually have the advantage with the top line.

The old and slow thing has been an issue all season as they've somehow found a way to get older and slower as the season has wore on but that's a whole other wall of text for another post ;)
This comment might go down in history of HFOil as the most uninformed ever.
And that’s not an easy feat to accomplish.

I say “might” as I reserve the right to crown a new champion at some point down the road.

I guess in the business, they call that statement an attention grabber? :)

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Perhaps play him with someone more skilled than McLeod, Brown, Foegele, a washed Kane, or an ancient Corey Perry. Then maybe he won't be so "useless." Why does McDavid get our two best wingers and Draisaitl gets stuck with dogshit? Let's see McDavid's numbers with two piles of dung on his flanks.
Agreed. This guy gets the sloppy leftovers his entire career. It's the thing that makes me afraid that he won't resign

Reactions: Duke74

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Nuge is becoming a problem, it's pretty unacceptable to go 20 games without an even strength goal playing with the guys that he plays with.
Ya, especially in the playoffs where he hasn;t ever found his footing, but he also covers for his linemates a lot, and makes them look good. If McJesus or Drai spent half their night covering up for Nuge's bad decisions he could score a lot more, but Nuge's stats are limited by the responsibility he carries, which is pretty huge

Every single coach here has loved Nuge and fallen over themselves pumping him up for a reason. He does a lot of unheralded stuff every game imo. The Oilers don't need Nuge to score, we need the rest of the team to play like Nuge

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

I say “might” as I reserve the right to crown a new champion at some point down the road.

Grant Fuhr just turned over and grimaced.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
let's hope the Oil win tomorrow, then all is good, and can get moving on the right path. Beating Colorado will carry more weight than losing to Dallas IMO.
need to focus on why 2nd periods have killed us all season, so that is something that needs to be addressed by the coaching staff....hope KK realizes that and finds a different way to motivate and center the team in the 1st intermission of games.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not to pick on you Arpeggio as my issue is more general, but this is a decent micro example of what I'm trying to get at @guymez. Nuge doesn't score an even strength goal for a full quarter season and he's 'becoming a problem.' Drai has a bad turnover in a game and multiple people in this very thread say they won't even be upset when he leaves.

A bad giveaway is a bad giveaway but certain players are picked on to a way more extreme degree than others and generally in the incorrect direction.

Ya, especially in the playoffs where he hasn;t ever found his footing, but he also covers for his linemates a lot, and makes them look good. If McJesus or Drai spent half their night covering up for Nuge's bad decisions he could score a lot more, but Nuge's stats are limited by the responsibility he carries, which is pretty huge

Every single coach here has loved Nuge and fallen over themselves pumping him up for a reason. He does a lot of unheralded stuff every game imo. The Oilers don't need Nuge to score, we need the rest of the team to play like Nuge
I didn't really read the rest of the thread so looks like I missed some stuff lol. I'm not on the Draisaitl hate train, I'm in the "give McDavid and Draisaitl a blank cheque because this team isn't worth watching without them" camp.

I like Nuge a lot, and I do appreciate what he does out there. But he does need to score at evens a little bit when he's playing with McDavid or Draisaitl. I'm worried that the wheels are falling off for him offensively, though I'm hoping that it's an injury or something. Like you said, they don't need that scoring right now, but they will in the playoffs, especially if they're playing a team like Dallas.

Reactions: Duke74 and oXo Cube

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I clarified in my next post ftr

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

If only our superstars played like Nuge we'd hardly ever score. Nuges covering up for others is constantly stated, as if it were real, but theres holes in it.

Nuge has the most pk goals against on the club. He has considerable EVGA. Per minute Nuge has higher EVGA than either McD or Drai. Kind of inconvenient truths. Fact of the matter is Nuge hasn't been solid in any way this season and his PP role even is back to just being a pretty static bumper.

Even on the PP Nuge's soft pass back to the point has been scouted. That Nuge sometimes leaves a lot off the pass, i.e. soft pass back is sometimes getting stripped. This has been happening for years and is happening again.

The notion that the best players on Earth have a dependency to RNH is astounding.

The pumping up of Nuge by coaches could be do to a number of things. Nuge is excellent as I've stated at reading ice and anticipating what will occur. Unfortunately his physical strength, his lack of battle limits what he can do with those tools. His apparent comfort level in laying back to just a support role undermines what the player himself could be, that we saw just last season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad