Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed. II (Marlies win series 3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So Rochester got frustrated and gooned it up a bit at the end? Sounded like things were getting a little out of hand on the radio feed.

ETA: If this team is gonna win any games in this series, they either need to fix special teams ASAP or keep the Marlie PP off the ice.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Amerks fall to Marlies in Game 2; Toronto takes 2-0 series lead:
Jerry D’Amigo scored a goal and an assist and former Amerk goaltender Drew MacIntyre stopped all 25 shots he faced to help the Toronto Marlies to a 2-0 win over the Rochester Americans in Game 2 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals Sunday afternoon at Ricoh Coliseum. With the win, the Marlies take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five series, which shifts back to Rochester for Game 3 on Wednesday, May 1 at The Blue Cross Arena.

Rochester netminder Matt Hackett earned the start between the pipes and made 18 saves in his postseason debut for the Amerks. The game also featured the American Hockey League debut of forward Mikhail Grigorenko, who was reassigned to Rochester Saturday along with rookies Brian Flynn and Mark Pysyk by the Buffalo Sabres following the conclusion of the NHL’s regular season. With Grigorenko playing in his first game as an Amerk, it marked the first time that both of the Buffalo Sabres’ first round picks in the 2012 NHL Draft were in Rochester’s lineup at the same time, as Grigorenko (12th overall) skated alongside Zemgus Grigensons (14th overall). Grigorenko is the highest drafted Sabres prospect to play for the Amerks since Thomas Vanek (5th overall, 2003) spent the 2004-05 season in Rochester.

Mike Zigomanis rounded out the scoring for the hometown Marlies as his first goal of the playoffs midway through the second proved to be the game-winner. With his 25-save effort, MacIntyre pushed Toronto to within one game of advancing to the second round of the 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs for the second straight year.

sabres19892

Jul 5, 2007
I have watched the first two games and I am curious why Daniel Catenacci isn't playing? Did he suffer any injury? I would of thought after the results he produced he would be put into the line-up..

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I have watched the first two games and I am curious why Daniel Catenacci isn't playing? Did he suffer any injury? I would of thought after the results he produced he would be put into the line-up..
Going with the more experienced lineup I guess. Same lineup for game 3, so I don't think he'll see any time.

PattyLaLa16

Apr 1, 2006
Rochester, NY
The Amerks are 4-21 against the Marlies the last two seasons and 1-11 this year. I would anticipate locker clean out day Thurs. Perhaps Friday if Cassidy gives them a day to clear their heads. Not the kind of success Amerk fans had envisioned with the return of the Sabres i'm sure in these first two years. The final outcomes are nearly identical.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Amerks coach complimentary of Sabres' prospects Girgensons, Hackett, Larsson:
Cassidy on Girgensons: "He’s really come a long way this year. I’m shocked with how far he’s come. I really felt like for an 18-year-old early in the season, it’s such a hard thing because it’s hard to judge him every night because they’re playing at a level against men every night at this pace and this tempo. ... He was hard to really put a thumb on early, but throughout the playoffs he’s probably been our best forward just in terms of moving his feet, strong on the puck, finishing his checks, getting around the net. He’s a man physically, and I think the mental game has come so far this year. We’ve just seen him grow so much, and we’re really excited about it."
I'd agree, Girgensons has really come on as of late and was deserving of that improvement award.

Cassidy on Larsson: "Larsson’s been really good. He is even better than I thought he was going to be. He’s a good two-way player, very smart, unbelievably competitive. I love the way he’s competed. He’s got a little bite to his game. He’s a guy who makes others around him better. Really good vision, moves the puck well, probably is a pass-first guy a little bit more than a finisher, but he’s tough around and the net and he can finish.

"When you watch him play, he doesn’t back down from any confrontation. He’s as strong on his skates as anybody out there. He’s similar to Girgensons without the all-speed that Z has. Z is I think a little bit more of a grinder and a guy who’s going to get his offense by being in front of the net, whereas Larsson is going to have the puck a little bit more and distribute it from there. But both really good players."
Note the difference in the two prospects, as it's accurate in what I've seen.

ohlguy

Oct 18, 2010
Oshawa
Going with the more experienced lineup I guess. Same lineup for game 3, so I don't think he'll see any time.

I really don't get why the Sabres organization continues NOT to go with great, hungry, young talent? It's funny to see OHL players who can't hold Catenacci's stick called up to other AHL teams playing significant minutes and contributing while Cat sits out?? Aside from a great AHL debut 2GP-1G-2A +3 6SOG, this is a kid who can help the Amercs and play in every situation. The Sabres organization needs to change their earn your stripes culture and mentality, that's why they don't produce many elite players.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This has me pumped for the future

Has anyone gotten AHL live to watch the games? How is the stream quality?
Stream quality was poor during the lockout.

Not sure now that playoff games are on TV. Is the stream quality better?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I really don't get why the Sabres organization continues NOT to go with great, hungry, young talent? It's funny to see OHL players who can't hold Catenacci's stick called up to other AHL teams playing significant minutes and contributing while Cat sits out?? Aside from a great AHL debut 2GP-1G-2A +3 6SOG, this is a kid who can help the Amercs and play in every situation. The Sabres organization needs to change their earn your stripes culture and mentality, that's why they don't produce many elite players.

No. That's the opposite of what they should do. You do not gift players ice time. They need to earn it.

They want to go with more experienced players. It's the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Catenacci is not going to make a difference at all. They could use his speed but it's not much of a match for Toronto anyway.

I would put Catenacci in tonight myself, but not for the lame reasons you mentioned. Not for being a draft pick and not because you just want to see him play.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

No. That's the opposite of what they should do. You do not gift players ice time. They need to earn it.

They want to go with more experienced players. It's the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Catenacci is not going to make a difference at all. They could use his speed but it's not much of a match for Toronto anyway.

I would put Catenacci in tonight myself, but not for the lame reasons you mentioned. Not for being a draft pick and not because you just want to see him play.

Agreed with sf27 -- handing people icetime is no way to teach them that hard work and effort is rewarded when there is no hard work or effort to get prime ice time.

UncleBenny

Nov 17, 2011

This is why players like Luke Adam are in the lineup night in and night out but 9 games out of 10 do nothing but float around on the ice. He knows his ice time is guaranteed because he's a "prospect" and if he just floats around long enough and gets some lucky deflections in front of the net, he'll end up in the NHL with the Sabres some day.

Give Girgensons a couple years, he looks great out there this year but after a couple of seasons with 0 accountability, I'm sure he'll look just like the rest of them.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Stream quality was poor during the lockout.

Not sure now that playoff games are on TV. Is the stream quality better?

I have purchased I'd say 50% of the games this year (including both playoff games). From what I can tell the feed depends on what rink you are playing at. The Toronto feed was great over the weekend and all year. The Rochester feed is decent, not great. I have gotten some feeds (Abbotsford I can remember) that I had to shut off in the middle of the game because it was virtually unwatchable.

That being said, as I mentioned in a previous post I am done buying them this year. Unless, of course, they can force a game 5.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
2-1 Marlies after two. Leggio in net.

Amerks continue to shoot blanks on the PP, and gave up a shortie in the 2nd to open the scoring. Shots 17-13 Rochester. Can't speak to the quality of the goals as I'm at work and listening to spells. Girgensons with the Amerks goal (from Larsson and Mackenzie)

From watching the first two and listening to this one Rochester has been the better 5 on 5 team. Awful special teams and shaky goaltending (particularly game one, as I said can't comment on the quality of goals in this one) have really hurt the Amerks.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
The positives to take from this series (which will likely end tonight):

Girgensons excels under playoff pressure, and he and Larsson seem to have some strong chemistry.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Tied at 2! Tarnasky throws it on net and the Amerks draw even in the third.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2