Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed. II (Marlies win series 3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
W1, but 8-2-0 in their last ten.

Nice. I'll have to get to a game soon. I was reluctant to go to games, because they have been bad lately. Especially compared to their history. The arena has been dead, too, compared to years past. Hopefully they make themselves relevant again, and Rochester has a buzz.

The playoffs will be the real test.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Ellis "sets up" the unassisted shorthanded (breakaway) goal with a 2 minute tripping penalty.
Ellis was also on the ice for the Roy goal/Rissmiller assist as they are his linemates.
He also has one shot on goal and is wearing the same number as he did with the Sabres - #37.

Its 2-0 Amerks after the first period - shots on goal - 11-8 Erie.

Varone gets credited with an assist on Roys goal - must have left the ice (and replaced by Ellis?) before the goal was scored as he currently isn't listed on the scoresheet as being on the ice when the goal happened.

Amerks Lines (Offense) - 92-12-25, 32-22-29, 74-72-10, 91-37-11.

Thanks for the lines. Haven't seen them listed anywhere on twitter.

Interesting what the organization has done with adding centers. The following players can (or have) played center:
Sundher
Porter
Schofield
Varone
Tarnasky
Adam
Flynn
Roy
Ellis
Parker
Girgensons

I wonder if they will switch Sundher and Girgensons to center next season.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Thanks for the lines. Haven't seen them listed anywhere on twitter.

credit goes to Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - https://twitter.com/kevinodandc - he posted the lines.

Still 3-0 Amerks - nine minutes left in the third period.

Monsters score - Leggio loses shutout - 3-1 - less than 5 minutes left in the third period.
Former Niagara Ice Dog - Andrew Agozzino with an assist on Paul Careys goal.

Goal Amerks - Varone - empty netter - unassisted - second goal and fourth point of the game.

Amerks win 4-1 - final shots on goal - Erie 32-26.
Three Stars - 1: Leggio - 31 saves - 2: Varone - 2 goals/2 assists - 3: Crawford - 1 goal.

Amerks next game - Friday at home vs Houston Aeros.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - It's the first 4-point game as a pro for #Amerks second-year center Phil Varone, and comes against what is definitely his favorite opponent.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks C Phil Varone had a pair of 3-point games last season (both 3 assist efforts). Who were they against: Monsters (Feb. 17, Feb. 25).

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Before today's 2-goal, 2-assist performance, #Amerks C Phil Varone had just one other multi-point game - LS: this season - (2 assists at Syracuse on Jan. 18).

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
credit goes to Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - https://twitter.com/kevinodandc - he posted the lines.

Still 3-0 Amerks - nine minutes left in the third period.

Monsters score - Leggio loses shutout - 3-1 - less than 5 minutes left in the third period.
Former Niagara Ice Dog - Andrew Agozzino with an assist on Paul Careys goal.

Goal Amerks - Varone - empty netter - unassisted - second goal and fourth point of the game.
Amerks win 4-1.

Varone hogging the points - two unassisted goals today.

To be serious now: Good sign for the Amerks to have a player like Varone really stepping up his offensive production since taking a bigger role post-lockout. He led the team in points last year, so he definitely has the capability to produce at this level.

Also, Kevin O thinks that F. Roy would sit when Rankin/Girgensons return. I tend to agree, but can you really sit someone who has scored in three straight games??

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Varone hogging the points - two unassisted goals today.

To be serious now: Good sign for the Amerks to have a player like Varone really stepping up his offensive production since taking a bigger role post-lockout. He led the team in points last year, so he definitely has the capability to produce at this level.

Also, Kevin O thinks that F. Roy would sit when Rankin/Girgensons return. I tend to agree, but can you really sit someone who has scored in three straight games??

Could it be Legault coming out then?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Nice to see some teams visiting Rochester that aren't there too frequently. Houston has some interesting prospects in Zucker, Coyle, and Phillips, and it's always fun when the Amerks meet Hershey.

The Amerks now have the best goal differential in the Western Conference, and they lead the conference in goals and goals/game.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Great to see the Amerks playing well. Question to Amerks fans - how is the coach looking? I was totally unfamiliar with him when he was hired and the beginning to their season didn't do much to impress me. Is he a quality coach in your opinion?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Great to see the Amerks playing well. Question to Amerks fans - how is the coach looking? I was totally unfamiliar with him when he was hired and the beginning to their season didn't do much to impress me. Is he a quality coach in your opinion?

Terrible in 2012. Good coach now that they have won 9 out of their last 11 games *

*uninformed opinion

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

I'm not a fan of Rolston, but you can't argue with the results lately.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Thanks! I wasn't happy with the signing but I really liked Dineen, so I probably wouldn't have been happy with any replacement.

Does anyone have any perspectives on his specific strengths/weaknesses as a coach? How is he with in game adjustments? How is he developing players? Does he have a future in the NHL? Thanks in advance.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Terrible in 2012. Good coach now that they have won 9 out of their last 11 games *

*uninformed opinion

a coach is only as good as his players. Earlier in the year i think Brennan's offensive style was rubbing off on the other D. All of them (besides Finely) were trying to be too fancy. Since he left and Pardy has stepped in, our team defense has improved dramitically. Maybe it is just a coincidence but I doubt it.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Not a coincidence at all. The defense's drastic improvement is all Pardy. Could be a season saver. They were dead last in the league in defense in December. Pardy's play rubs off and he gives them a veteran presence.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Thanks! I wasn't happy with the signing but I really liked Dineen, so I probably wouldn't have been happy with any replacement.

Does anyone have any perspectives on his specific strengths/weaknesses as a coach? How is he with in game adjustments? How is he developing players? Does he have a future in the NHL? Thanks in advance.

Are you looking to hire a coach? ha ha

Development of players: strength
Championship winning team: weakness (falls on management too though)

I've heard some fans write that he is awful with in game adjustments.

Here is some perspective at the end of last season:

"Really, could this AHL season have been any better for the Buffalo hockey department than it was?
1) Their kids all played, and they played in critical situations. Who did coach Ron Rolston have to turn to when he was down by a goal or protecting a one-goal lead? For the most part, young draft picks.
2) When the Sabres needed help due to injuries on the NHL roster, the guys called up all played pretty well — or really well. Kassian made some contributions. Foligno ended up a regular on the third line in March. Tropp was a regular in Buffalo for better than a month. McNabb was solid on defense during two different recalls, as was Brennan. Center Paul Szczechura was by no means out of place when the Sabres needed help at center."
(Kevin Oklobzija, D&C)

Of course, these players did a lot of developing before Rolston (some with Dineen).

The team competed hard last year, but did not have enough talent to have success in the playoffs.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I was looking through Rochester's stats this morning and noticed that Pysyk is now tied with Porter for team leading +/- at +13. I know +/- is one of those stats that sometimes means nothing, but, for those who've been watching, is it indicative of how he's been playing? I was very impressed with him at the start of the year, then he seemed to have a rough patch. Is he back on track now?

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I was looking through Rochester's stats this morning and noticed that Pysyk is now tied with Porter for team leading +/- at +13. I know +/- is one of those stats that sometimes means nothing, but, for those who've been watching, is it indicative of how he's been playing? I was very impressed with him at the start of the year, then he seemed to have a rough patch. Is he back on track now?

He seems to be playing well again. The only glaring issue I remember in the past few weeks was a terrible turnover on MLK Day against Hamilton that set up a one timer from the hash marks for a goal. For the most part though, he's been playing well. I don't see him ready for a call up this year, maybe next year.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Are you looking to hire a coach? ha ha

Development of players: strength
Championship winning team: weakness (falls on management too though)

I've heard some fans write that he is awful with in game adjustments.

Here is some perspective at the end of last season:

"Really, could this AHL season have been any better for the Buffalo hockey department than it was?
1) Their kids all played, and they played in critical situations. Who did coach Ron Rolston have to turn to when he was down by a goal or protecting a one-goal lead? For the most part, young draft picks.
2) When the Sabres needed help due to injuries on the NHL roster, the guys called up all played pretty well — or really well. Kassian made some contributions. Foligno ended up a regular on the third line in March. Tropp was a regular in Buffalo for better than a month. McNabb was solid on defense during two different recalls, as was Brennan. Center Paul Szczechura was by no means out of place when the Sabres needed help at center."
(Kevin Oklobzija, D&C)

Of course, these players did a lot of developing before Rolston (some with Dineen).

The team competed hard last year, but did not have enough talent to have success in the playoffs.
Haha no I am just curious. I don't get to watch the Amerks hardly ever and since we have a lot of promising young players I wanted to see if they were in good hands.

Thanks for the info!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Haha no I am just curious. I don't get to watch the Amerks hardly ever and since we have a lot of promising young players I wanted to see if they were in good hands.

Thanks for the info!

They are in good hands with the vets: Ellis, Mancari, Porter are good role models/leaders. Pardy great addition on D.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
The Amerks were simply outclassed tonight. Houston was better in ever facet of the game. They were quick, moved the puck well and were so much better defensively.

Rolston also blew the game for the Amerks in the last 2 minutes. He's a terrible coach. Left Leggio on the bench for a neutral zone faceoff, Houston wins the draw and scores with over a minute left while the Amerks were up 2 men. Amateur hour.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He looks much better. But it's also a product of playing with Mancari and Porter. He's got a lot of speed and some good offensive instincts.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He looks much better. But it's also a product of playing with Mancari and Porter. He's got a lot of speed and some good offensive instincts.

Thanks for the update. I've been interested in his development primarily because of that speed. Something thats sorely need on the Sabres and in the organization generally. Catenacci will add to that next year.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I think everyone will chuckle at the second GA, as losing faceoffs is systemic in this organization; BTW that's Porter there with the FOL:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks rookie LW Zemgus Girgensons will play Sunday vs. Hershey. He has been out since suffering a concussion on January 12.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks rookie RW Brian Flynn won't play Sunday or Monday for sure but coach Ron Rolston said it's not a concussion. Upper body "issue."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00