Rochester Amerks / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed. II (Marlies win series 3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
No. That's the opposite of what they should do. You do not gift players ice time. They need to earn it.

They want to go with more experienced players. It's the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with that at all. Catenacci is not going to make a difference at all. They could use his speed but it's not much of a match for Toronto anyway.

I would put Catenacci in tonight myself, but not for the lame reasons you mentioned. Not for being a draft pick and not because you just want to see him play.

Whose to say. He has done pretty good so far and probably is better than half the forwards.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How has Girgonsons progressed from the beginning of the season to the end?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
How has Girgonsons progressed from the beginning of the season to the end?

Started out slow, had some injury stuff, but may very well have been Rochester's best forward by the end of the year. 3 goals in 3 playoff games.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Good thing we brought him along slowly and sent him to Kelowna. Sorry after all the fights it caused I had to say something.

I don't get it. Nobody thought Myers should've been sent to kelowna when he first broke in... That's all hindsight revisionist history. Do you mean Grigorenko and Quebec?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The camp against him playing in the AHL thought that his offensive game would be better developed in Kelowna instead of Rochester, though I think he progressed nicely.
true.

As do I, and I was more interested in seeing him continue to develop the rest of his game at the pro level. Less concerned about his offense as a whole.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Amerks season ends with 3-2 OTL to Marlies in Game 3:
Despite erasing a pair of one-goal deficits, it was Will Acton’s game-winning goal 5:14 into overtime that gave the Toronto Marlies a 3-2 win over the Rochester Americans in Game 3 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals Wednesday night at The Blue Cross Arena. The Marlies win the best-of-five series 3-0 for the second straight year and become the first team to advance to the second round of the 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs.

Zemgus Girgensons and Nick Tarnasky each scored in regulation for the Amerks and David Leggio made 27 saves in the loss for Rochester, which had its season halted on home ice for the second straight year.

Greg Scott and Greg McKegg found the back of the net for the visiting Marlies through the first 60 minutes and Drew MacIntyre made 37 saves in the win to help Toronto to its second three-game sweep of the Amerks in as many years.

Also, high praise for Girgensons and Larsson, and rightfully so, coming from multiple outlets .. Cassidy's post-game presser (7:46 in length), Kevin O's post-game blog, Vogl's TBN recap and Coller's WGR recap:
Girgensons emerged as a big-time playoff performer. The rookie forward scored three of the Amerks five goals in the series. He ran over anyone in his way. He showed poise and confidence when the puck was on his stick. He was much more dangerous with the puck than at any point during the season.

That’s a great sign; you want your players to be at their best in April, May and June.

Rookie center Johan Larsson was again very good in Game 3. He was elusive. He drove to the net. He made crisp passes and showed creativity.
“He’s really come a long way this year,” Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy said. “More than anything from what I’ve seen is just his confidence with the puck has been through the roof. He always plays hard, always plays through people. He’s tough to play against, but you can see that confidence when he has the puck.

“He knows that he can make that extra move and he can make a play with it as opposed to early in the season I think the game was going so fast in his mind all the time because of the level and the pace of play. His development, to me, has just been off the charts with what he’s been able to do this year.”

Girgensons clicked really well with Larsson, who joined the organization last month as part of the trade that sent Jason Pominville to Minnesota.

“He’s not a typical Europe guy,” Larsson, who’s Swedish, said of Girgensons. “Kind of me, too, works hard, goes in corners, battles hard and has a good nose for the net. That’s good.”

Larsson led the Amerks with three assists.

“Those two guys were probably our best forwards from start to finish in this series,” Cassidy said.
Johan Larsson impressed a great deal with his effort on both ends of the ice. He's struggled at times to find chemistry offensively, but created chances and never stopped skating throughout the night. He, like Girgensons, may press the Sabres in training camp into giving him a lower-line opportunity next season

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Very nice to hear how Girgs has progressed. :handclap: It would appear the AHL was a good choice for him this year.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
And 1000 :handclap: Appropriate timing. :cry:

I have such a man crush on Girgs. We think he has any chance of making the team next year out of camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad