Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Nylander had a goal tonight. Anyone have any idea how lucky/lousy/lazy his goal was?

The opposite. He went hard to the net from center ice using his speed and played the loose puck straight through the goaltenders legs. That's exactly what you want to see from him.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Nylander had a goal tonight. Anyone have any idea how lucky/lousy/lazy his goal was?

He was on top of the crease during a scramble and put a rebound in. I haven’t been to every game but last year I was ready to write him off as a complete bust and this year I was very surprised by his camp. I’d certainly like him to do well. I think the truth lies somewhere between his fan club and his detractors.

Most fun Amerks game I’ve been to in a long time, not that that’s saying much. Marlies are the defending champs and made a game of it. Gagners game tying shot was very nice.

Play of the game was Guhles goal though. Bailey put a pass all the way from his own corner on the goal line to Smith at center ice. Smith laid a perfect area pass out just inside the zone for a streaking Guhle who came in, blew through the D and did the backhand & tuck five hole move. A very fast transition play.

Redmond and Olofsson got on the scoresheet again.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Good win, but that was a hideous defensive effort all around. And giving up the tying goal with 10 seconds left is inexcusable. They were standing around. But winning even when playing poorly works.

I read a great recap about the game. See the writer said Nylander had his best game as an Amerk. See the Amerks have won five straight. Say to myself that guy can't make THIS a negative, can he? Come here just to see um, yup, he can.

Amerks Recap - A Statement Win

Reactions: lancaster14

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I read a great recap about the game. See the writer said Nylander had his best game as an Amerk. See the Amerks have won five straight. Say to myself that guy can't make THIS a negative, can he? Come here just to see um, yup, he can.

Well Taylor wasn’t too pleased either with large chunks of the game, so I’m in decent company. Nylander played well. The team as a whole did not. PK was bad, PP was bad and you could feel the entire 3rd period they’d give up the lead.

I’ll take Kevin O’s read on things over your link.

Shootout prowess saves Rochester Americans vs. Toronto - Pickin' Splinters

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I actually appreciate the critical take, and not for the negativity... more because on the surface/without watching I can see that it's:
  1. A win
  2. Against the defending champs and division opponent
  3. The team apparently showed resiliency/mental toughness for winning despite allowing a late game tying goal
It's obvious that the dude cares about more than just prospect development, he actually cares about the team and the overall on ice product.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
There is a lot of work to be done on this team despite leading the division. PK and defense have been lackluster all year and it really showed last night with Pilut out of the lineup. Wedgewood is not the kind of goalie that can bail out the defense repeatedly.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover

I should have put one of these :sarcasm: after my question. I've seen a lot of negativism around Nylander irrespective of how he seems to have improved this year - lucky goal, but he had a horrible turnover, only a secondary assist, his one good play of the night, lazy, coasting......

And no, I haven't seen the games, but I did see nearly every exhibition game and thought he looked excellent in preseason, FWIW.

8 points in 7 games - not too bad for a bust.

Reactions: Dingo44

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I will say I really enjoyed the Asplund-O'Regan-Olofsson line. They were very fun to watch and generated half of our goals last night.

And incase anyone was wondering, our 1st 3vs3 unit was Redmond-Asplund-Olofsson. Asplund has worked his way up the depth chart.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Even the coach was mostly negative about the game, so step off your high horse.

There’s no need to be the negativity police all the time. It’s an awful franchise, get used to it.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Six straight powerplays for the sens.

As many as they need until they catch up

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Nobody better sneeze near a ref or they’ll lose this in regulation

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Early season samples can do great things to special teams (Amerks' PP). They can also do quite bad things (Amerks' PK). They'll get it sorted out to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad