Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
31 Thoughts: Why Avalanche traded Ian Cole to Minnesota

There are so many questions for Casey Nelson.
The most important is, “Are you okay?” But also: Why was he the only player to opt out of the 2020–21 NHL season? What prompted his retirement announcement on Instagram late last week? And then, once the serious stuff was out of the way, is it true that he once asked an AHL coach for permission to miss a morning skate because he had an oil change scheduled at the same time?
The 28-year-old starts laughing as he hears the question.
“When you said you wanted to ask if some things about me were true, I had a feeling that was one of the stories. Yes, that’s true. It was my first year (as a pro).”
What was the answer?
“It was like, ‘What did he just ask me?’”
In March 2016, Buffalo signed Nelson as an NCAA free agent from Minnesota State University, Mankato. The defenceman had four assists in seven games when he debuted at the end of that season. He’d play 86 more NHL games, adding 151 in the American League. His first of four NHL goals came on Feb. 11, 2018 — during a 5-4 loss to Colorado.
“Shorthanded wraparound by a defenceman,” he says proudly. “How many times has that happened?”
To people who know him, that’s vintage Casey Nelson. Great sense of humour. Independent. True to himself.
Here’s another example: Nelson’s a big cat person. He’s always been around them, and now has two — Randy and Gus. (Sabres assistant manager George Babcock once asked for a photo of them, and had it put up on the arena scoreboard one night after a Sabres win. Nelson still laughs in disbelief that that happened.)
Whether he played for Buffalo or the Rochester Americans, if the closest hotels to the rink didn’t allow pets, he wasn’t staying there. It didn’t matter if he had to move 20 or 30 minutes away. It didn’t matter if the hotel wasn’t as nice. No cats, no go.
“If anyone was going to opt out and retire,” one former teammate said, “it had to be someone like Casey. He wouldn’t be afraid of the unknown.”
The truth is, Nelson is like a lot of people re-assessing their lives during pandemic times. What mattered beforehand may not matter as much anymore. When the AHL season was shut down last March, he and his wife, Ashley, immediately packed up and drove 17 hours to their off-season home in Minnesota. The more time they spent there, the less Nelson felt the pull to return.
“I’m 100 per cent healthy, but there were challenges near the end of last season,” he says, specifying two concussions. “I was not excited to go back, even though I was preparing to. I actually got the email from the Sabres saying how camp was going to work.
“That’s when I decided not to go. I’m ready for something life-changing.”
Now is about the freedom to pursue passion projects, like travel and real estate. He’d spend hours looking at the website Zillow, and wants to be part of that world.
“I’m getting my licence. I love real estate. I love designing homes. We bought a neighbour’s property on Lake Minnetonka, and I’m excited to see what we’re going to do with it.”
Nelson doesn’t leave with negative feelings towards the sport. He’s watching games as this NHL season gets underway. Brother Josh is an assistant coach at USHL Muskegon, and Casey sees coaching as a possibility in his future.
But, in the present, he’s walking a new path.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Nice rundown on available players for the AHL (via a twitter thread), a few familiar names in here:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
all that matters is the young guys get meaningful reps in competitive games. No one will actualy take this year at face value. I'd be glad to get Quinn and others actually playing against peers.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Never knew he retired

it came out a couple weeks ago.

im not all that surprised he retired. He’s a AHL/NHL tweener in his late 20s. I’m surprised more players didn’t opt to retire.

all that matters is the young guys get meaningful reps in competitive games. No one will actualy take this year at face value. I'd be glad to get Quinn and others actually playing against peers.

I’m fine with them playing actual games. Practice doesn’t do it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
it came out a couple weeks ago.

im not all that surprised he retired. He’s a AHL/NHL tweener in his late 20s. I’m surprised more players didn’t opt to retire.
RE: Casey Nelson

I was surprised. How many hockey players in their 20's (who are under contract) retire due to non-health related reasons?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
RE: Casey Nelson

I was surprised. How many hockey players in their 20's (who are under contract) retire due to non-health related reasons?

my viewpoint...

he’s 28..29 if he came back at start on 22/22. 29-30 is the end point for many in hockey.
He played around 100 nhl games
He was smart and saved/invested his salary he can buy a home outright. He made over $1M.
He went to college has a degree
He’s married and ready to have kids.
Unsure what the wife’s career is in and what job opportunities she got in her career.

I wish him the best

As a veteran in the AHL you can make $400,000 a year. Unlike to see that salary anytime in their career so enjoy it and be smart. After 3-5 seasons, you save up you can easily buy a house.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
my viewpoint...

he’s 28..29 if he came back at start on 22/22. 29-30 is the end point for many in hockey.
He played around 100 nhl games
He was smart and saved/invested his salary he can buy a home outright. He made over $1M.
He went to college has a degree
He’s married and ready to have kids.
Unsure what the wife’s career is in and what job opportunities she got in her career.

I wish him the best

As a veteran in the AHL you can make $400,000 a year. Unlike to see that salary anytime in their career so enjoy it and be smart. After 3-5 seasons, you save up you can easily buy a house.
I think he already bought a house. There's an article in this thread about his retirement. Said something like it spurned an interest in real estate which he's now looking to start a career in.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think he already bought a house. There's an article in this thread about his retirement. Said something like it spurned an interest in real estate which he's now looking to start a career in.

im talking more in general.

I don’t recall what qualifies a player in nhlpa for tenure which I think gets health insurance. Other leagues have this.

think about how much income do you need to earn if you already have a house in order to live perfectly fine for now and the rest of your life.

forexanple an adult can easily live on $2000 a month if you don’t have a house or car payments major home work At a spouse it’s a little more. That includes route monthly bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad