Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Maybe its been the grouping of high picks in the last what, 10 years now and poor drafting past the 1st round, but it's been frustrating not being able to on board players via the AHL anymore. I'm glad Mittelstadt is getting some time, but it'd be nice to watch Amerks games and see key future sabres being key contributors as opposed to supporting roles.

It's not necessarily poor drafting past the 1st round per se, it's also a lot about WHERE our draftees are coming from.

We've drafted a lot of players who are from overseas or will spend time in the NCAA. A lot of our higher talent then has been straight to the NHL. We've got a high percentage of late picks overseas or in the NCAA (Davidsson, Laaksonen, Weissbach). Pekar and Samuelsson are likely to spend time in the AHL, possibly as soon as next year. But everyone else from that 2018 draft is overseas and not likely coming over next year.

If we were drafting more from the CHL, we'd see more of our own guys in Rochester........but our focus has seemingly been overseas and collegiate.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's not necessarily poor drafting past the 1st round per se, it's also a lot about WHERE our draftees are coming from.

We've drafted a lot of players who are from overseas or will spend time in the NCAA. A lot of our higher talent then has been straight to the NHL. We've got a high percentage of late picks overseas or in the NCAA (Davidsson, Laaksonen, Weissbach). Pekar and Samuelsson are likely to spend time in the AHL, possibly as soon as next year. But everyone else from that 2018 draft is overseas and not likely coming over next year.

If we were drafting more from the CHL, we'd see more of our own guys in Rochester........but our focus has seemingly been overseas and collegiate.

There is also taking more cuts at high-skill OA guys in any of their drafts to get fresh scoring bodies into the pipeline that they have most decidedly not taken.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Power play is 2-for-6 tonight and Bryson has two secondary assists. Elie and Leier with the goals, trailing 4-2 in the third. JJ in net.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
It’s too bad that this didn’t happen earlier, as I really think Parker Gahagen could have been a legitimate prospect had he gotten his commission deferred.
There was talk during his senior season that it was going to happen due to a new Secretary of Defense, then it never materialized and he was in limbo for about a year.
Ducks pick Berkovitz committed to West Point at the same time because of the expectation that policies would be changing, and Starrett from Air Force left before graduating to avoid the mess entirely.

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It’s too bad that this didn’t happen earlier, as I really think Parker Gahagen could have been a legitimate prospect had he gotten his commission deferred.
There was talk during his senior season that it was going to happen due to a new Secretary of Defense, then it never materialized and he was in limbo for about a year.
Ducks pick Berkovitz committed to West Point at the same time because of the expectation that policies would be changing, and Starrett from Air Force left before graduating to avoid the mess entirely.

Parker is a good kid. He was really hoping to make the Olympic team as well. He's been able to play on duty through the Army's world class athlete program.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
City Of Henderson Set To Commit Up To $42 Million Towards Construction Of AHL Arena - SinBin.vegas

All references to the Golden Knights portion of the agreement are listed as SK Arena LLC or SK Team LLC. These companies were filed by Golden Knights attorneys in November 2019 and June 2019 respectively.

As we’ve been reporting since the news broke that the AHL was coming to Henderson, the team name will be the Henderson Silver Knights. SK Arena and SK Team are just another set of clues hinting towards that name.

The construction agreement will be approved at the Henderson City Council’s May 19th meeting scheduled to begin at 10:30 am.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Somehow we missed this one
Defenseman Zach Redmond will reportedly not return to the Amerks next season. I assume this was about money. I'm disappointed. I thought when Botterill was hired the Sabres sole reason for existence was for their AHL team to win the Calder Cup. Another dream shot to hell.
Zach Redmond commits to join German team next season

Any reason why you assume it's money? Could be a guy just wanting to spend some time in Europe before he retires.
Either way I had no idea Derek Roy was still playing over in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad