Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Not sure how he screwed up Pilut’s development. Who just got voted to his 2nd straight AHL all star game. Pilut’s development has not been an issue.

yeah the only thing you can say, Is that he was “over-developed” by maybe a few months. There’s really nothing wrong with that. But that with assumption you can say is that he’s good to go at the NHL level. I think people are stuck on how Pilut looked at the beginning of last year, where he came out swinging and looked good. By the end of his time here last season when he was sent back, he looked a little overwhelmed at the NHL level.

It was the right call to send him to the AHL to see if he can play important minutes. We needed to see that.

There are a few things to complain about Botts, Pilut and the choices with him, are so far down the list for me, it’s almost not worth mentioning.

Reactions: Icicle

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
yeah the only thing you can say, Is that he was “over-developed” by maybe a few months. There’s really nothing wrong with that. But that with assumption you can say is that he’s good to go at the NHL level. I think people are stuck on how Pilut looked at the beginning of last year, where he came out swinging and looked good. By the end of his time here last season when he was sent back, he looked a little overwhelmed at the NHL level.

It was the right call to send him to the AHL to see if he can play important minutes. We needed to see that.

There are a few things to complain about Botts, Pilut and the choices with him, are so far down the list for me, it’s almost not worth mentioning.

Pilut got Housley'd.

Reactions: dang111

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Mitts looked good playing wing in the previous game too. He had the same linemates; Elie, Dea, Mittelstadt. I think the Sabres wasted a year and half trying to use him at center before he was ready. Meanwhile they won't take a look at Reinhart at center who is probably closer than Mittelstadt ever was to being ready.

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Pilut got Housley'd.

I would somewhat agree, but there was still issues in his game that didn't entail coaching last year.

At this moment, we're kind of stuck in limbo to see how much his game has grown to fit the NHL level. The AHL level I think we can see he's really good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would somewhat agree, but there was still issues in his game that didn't entail coaching last year.

At this moment, we're kind of stuck in limbo to see how much his game has grown to fit the NHL level. The AHL level I think we can see he's really good.

It was similar to how Guhle was playing well for Taylor in Rochester the year prior and then got yo-yo'd into and out of the lineup. He returned, much the same as Pilut, with zero confidence and making mistakes that they had not before. Risto's talked about how Phil had dozens of plays off of individual faceoffs, how they all have to over-think everything. It showed when Pilut returned.

As for issues in his game, the primary complaint was physical engagement - in that he's a small guy and can get bull-rushed and overpowered at the net. That likely never goes away.

Reactions: SonofHerb

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It was similar to how Guhle was playing well for Taylor in Rochester the year prior and then got yo-yo'd into and out of the lineup. He returned, much the same as Pilut, with zero confidence and making mistakes that they had not before. Risto's talked about how Phil had dozens of plays off of individual faceoffs, how they all have to over-think everything. It showed when Pilut returned.

As for issues in his game, the primary complaint was physical engagement - in that he's a small guy and can get bull-rushed and overpowered at the net. That likely never goes away.

I agree with all that. I'd peg the issue with Pilut at 80% Housley and 20% Pilut learning curve.

I think you can learn and develop quicker "twitches" in your game to overcome that type of weakness.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with all that. I'd peg the issue with Pilut at 80% Housley and 20% Pilut learning curve.

I think you can learn and develop quicker "twitches" in your game to overcome that type of weakness.

His game is stick-based and positionally-based defense. He's never going to step up on a player to overcome them defensively. He's been good at that again in the AHL. He'll likely thrive best with a partner who can handle the d-zone "Takeout" part of a pairing which is why he seems to have done so well with Ristolainen. In much the way we have seen Jokiharju succeed, quick and accurate transitioning of the puck once disrupted is a great way to not have to worry about defending in front of the net.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
His game is stick-based and positionally-based defense. He's never going to step up on a player to overcome them defensively. He's been good at that again in the AHL. He'll likely thrive best with a partner who can handle the d-zone "Takeout" part of a pairing which is why he seems to have done so well with Ristolainen. In much the way we have seen Jokiharju succeed, quick and accurate transitioning of the puck once disrupted is a great way to not have to worry about defending in front of the net.

Agree.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Not sure how he screwed up Pilut’s development. Who just got voted to his 2nd straight AHL all star game. Pilut’s development has not been an issue.
At someone you have to bring them to the next level.
Or they will regress/request a trade
I know trade requests are a bit redundant this year.
But you are correct.
Its probably not so much about Pilut as a single player but the d pipeline itself.
The Sabres probably would be better with him up instead of McCabe/Bogo.
The players behind Pilut on the chart get more playing time.
Its the same as with VO.
Pilut isnt a rookie he played against man already.
He just needed a season to adjust to the NA game and he did.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He hasn't screwed up Pilut's development but he is potentially hampering the NHL roster by not having him up there.

I am certain that he would be an upgrade on McCabe.

Reactions: Fearnot and Kyndig

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He hasn't screwed up Pilut's development but he is potentially hampering the NHL roster by not having him up there.

I am certain that he would be an upgrade on McCabe.

He's in his 7th pro season. Stalled is the right word. He shouldn't be in the AHL.

Reactions: Fearnot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He's in his 7th pro season. Stalled is the right word. He shouldn't be in the AHL.

The AHL is a good place to put Pilut when he was recovering from his injury/surgery. But he should’ve had a path clear for him to be brought up.

Reactions: debaser66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad