GDT: ROC vs Sweden

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Nothing to worries about Finland, they are not convincing anyway. You both seem to be stronger.

That's what all said during 2019 tournament. The head coach is still there and about 8-9 players from that team if I remember right.

But I'll say that it will be a tough battle and it can go either way for who ever FIN is playing against in their QF match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husqvarna

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Jukka Jalonen has a golden gameplan for Finland even this time around - Sweden is already offside and away and tomorrow maybe Canada too. Two hard opponents for Finland new gold skipped away. Only the rest is left ...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
No way Sweden loses this one. Russia sucks.

By the way, what the hell is the deal with all this whining by Swedes? I feel like in every single thread there is someone crying about how "this is our worst team, this team sucks, it is a 53324th Swedish team". Even if you guys are wining there is always someone crying. Nobody cares you don't have the best players in the tournament, neither does Canada, USA or any other team. Get a grip, for Christ's sake.
Yes, doing the worst since 1937 has no relevance for criticism, you're absolutely correct. It's absolutely fine to be relegated before round robin in the national sport and lose to Belarus and Denmark. Get a grip? Going from winning three straight golds in a row to... this?! And we're not even allowed to be pissed off? Ok, fine then. I guess it's nice we're at least not last in the group and we're not in a world war, I guess I should go and cork up some champagne now. It could've been worse, at least no gigantic volcano has erupted - yet - leading to a world famine.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Finland is literally Slovak kryptonite, I don’t get it. At any level we can’t beat them, only time I remember is when we beat them with Godla having amazing performance at WJC. Other than that I don’t know. They stormed back at the 2010 Olympics and beat us for bronze and always seem to have our number. USA on the other hand we have more favorable results in junior and senior.

I remember the 2010 Olympics bronze game really well. Olli Jokinen was the hero back then. Two goals by OJ and come from behind game. Without him, no bronze 100%. We had the same coach as we have now, Jukka Jalonen during the 2010 Olympics.

Jalonen sheltered OJ's minutes in other games and OJ didn't like that but despite of that he rose to the occasion and made Finland win with his individual efforts pretty much. Rest of the Finnish team was too upset about the semifinal loss and didn't play their best. It didn't look great before OJ did those goals.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Had to check out Aftonbladet, Garpenlöv apparently not quitting.
Of course he won't quit, he's not the problem. The problem is the clown system giving these morons the job. 2 coaches have been good in modern time. The rest have been awful.

The entire federation has to reform. But they won't.

member 305909

Give us Finns our moment of schadenfreude over Sweden's defeat.

I expect that in a month's time Finland will have crashed out of the Euro 2021 while Sweden is in the QFs.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
I expect that tonight, fountains in Finland, are packed with drunk men only wearing underpants

Finns (Northern Estonians actually) will wait to do that after the playoffs (in case of another gold medal),

- these drunk men in fountains tonight had to be swedish fans drowning their sorrows after missing the playoffs altogether...

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
When I first saw the title, I was thinking Republic of China (Taiwan) for ROC. How is a tropical island nation suddenly playing against heavyweight Sweden in the highly contested tourney?
My exact thought. I almost posted, but wanted to read through to see if anyone thought the same. I figured OP had just mixed up the People's Republic of China with the Republic of China. :laugh:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Of course he won't quit, he's not the problem. The problem is the clown system giving these morons the job. 2 coaches have been good in modern time. The rest have been awful.

The entire federation has to reform. But they won't.
He might not be the problem, but can he really be part of a solution? I understood him as a background assistant for the national team earlier. Has he ever had a head coaching job before Tre Kronor?

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
He might not be the problem, but can he really be part of a solution? I understood him as a background assistant for the national team earlier. Has he ever had a head coaching job before Tre Kronor?

No, no head coach experience. I don't know how involved he was with the actually coaching in his role as an assistant either. I got the impression that his job was to keep contact with NHL players and be the "myskille" keeping up spirits up. To me it seemed like Popovic was the assistant who was involved with coaching. That is only me speculating of course, but that was the impression I got

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
No, no head coach experience. I don't know how involved he was with the actually coaching in his role as an assistant either. I got the impression that his job was to keep contact with NHL players and be the "myskille" keeping up spirits up. To me it seemed like Popovic was the assistant who was involved with coaching. That is only me speculating of course, but that was the impression I got
That is exactly the impression I got too.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Yes, doing the worst since 1937 has no relevance for criticism, you're absolutely correct. It's absolutely fine to be relegated before round robin in the national sport and lose to Belarus and Denmark. Get a grip? Going from winning three straight golds in a row to... this?! And we're not even allowed to be pissed off? Ok, fine then. I guess it's nice we're at least not last in the group and we're not in a world war, I guess I should go and cork up some champagne now. It could've been worse, at least no gigantic volcano has erupted - yet - leading to a world famine.

You're allowed to be pissed, obviously, and as a Czech fan whose team's fan base will complain about our players and our coach at the drop of a hat, even when things are not so bad, I can tell you that Swedish fans are most certainly not the only ones who would react in this manner. :) The only thing that's really annoying and should not be done (by any team's fans) is complaining that your best players are not here. Boo-f***g-hoo: it's the same for all of the good teams; we all know that the world championships are never best-on-best, so you accept it and focus on criticising the team for playing badly or praising it for playing well, but whining about the top NHL players not being there is pathetic. What is Canada supposed to say then, or the US? It affects all top teams and even some not-so- top teams, albeit less.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You're allowed to be pissed, obviously, and as a Czech fan whose team's fan base will complain about our players and our coach at the drop of a hat, even when things are not so bad, I can tell you that Swedish fans are most certainly not the only ones who would react in this manner. :) The only thing that's really annoying and should not be done (by any team's fans) is complaining that your best players are not here. Boo-f***g-hoo: it's the same for all of the good teams; we all know that the world championships are never best-on-best, so you accept it and focus on criticising the team for playing badly or praising it for playing well, but whining about the top NHL players not being there is pathetic. What is Canada supposed to say then, or the US? It affects all top teams and even some not-so- top teams, albeit less.
You can search the threads on this forum. Basically zero complaining has been done about basically all NHL players not playing this year and that's perfectly understandable. It's other things we complain about. The clown organization, the clown coach, the selection from those available and how utter crap the team has played for alot of games.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
who would you choose as the headcoach?

That team will consist of 100% NHL players. Why not hire an actual NHL coach?

This whole coaching debate is completely meaningless though. We all know who it will be. Let's just hope they've learned a lesson from this.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad