GDT: ROC vs Sweden

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
That is true, but Canada seems to be gaining momentum and have played much better since arrival of Magiapane. Still, tough test against finns.

You may be right but Canada needs the help of Latvia to reach the quarterfinal. If Germany wins in regulations Canada is out no matter if they win in regulation against the Finns. Because in this case Germany and Canada had both 12 points but Germany won the head-to-head match against Canada so Canada would finish the preliminary round only as 5th.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Exactly... 1 seed in our pool is a curse. Who wants to face an in form Canada on a 4 game win streak? Not this guy. Really hoping for a Canada vs Russia quarter.

Finland won't let Canada win for free. Group B winner gets Slovakia if the favorite CZE beats underdog Slovakia tomorrow, however I do realize that SVK has been resting, while CZE didn't today, so that might be a factor. Regardless of that I still think that CZE takes that and knocks SVK to #4 seed.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Finland won't let Canada win for free. Group B winner gets Slovakia if the favorite CZE beats underdog Slovakia tomorrow, however I do realize that SVK has been resting, while CZE didn't today, so that might be a factor. Regardless of that I still think that CZE takes that and knocks SVK to #4 seed.
I think it'll be a strange game tomorrow... Picturing a lot of health scratches.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
You may be right but Canada needs the help of Latvia to reach the quarterfinal. If Germany wins in regulations Canada is out no matter if they win in regulation against the Finns. Because in this case Germany and Canada had both 12 points but Germany won the head-to-head match against Canada so Canada would finish the preliminary round only as 5th.
I don't think Canada needs help... Win and they are in

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Exactly... 1 seed in our pool is a curse. Who wants to face an in form Canada on a 4 game win streak? Not this guy. Really hoping for a Canada vs Russia quarter.

No, my last post is wrong. I forgot Kazahkstan. If Canada wins against the Finns they are in because Kazahkstan remains standing with only 10 points. Latvia and Germany play the last game against each other so they can't both get 11 or 12 points.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
That's a good point, because CZE & SVK might view USA & FIN as equal opponents, which they kind of are.
I see no difference from a czech perspective. We are 50-50 against either at this specific tourney. If it were the jr's or beat on best I'd say 20-80 chance.lol

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
I don't think Canada needs help... Win and they are in

Yes, you are right of course. I forgot Kazakhstan already played the last game and they remain standing with 10 points in the table. So if Canada wins against the Finns no matter in regulation or OT they are in as Latvia and Germany play the last game against each other so they can't both get 11 or 12 points.

Reactions: Czechboy

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Finns need to win tomorrow to finish 1st in their group as it is only a matter of how many goals US will score against Italy.

Group winner will be facing either Slovaks or Czechs as in the other group Switzerland won't drop points against GB and Russia should win Belarus. Slovakia won Russia so if they would lose to Belarus and Slovakia would win Czechs, Russia would drop to 3rd place. Such scenario is highly unlikely but still among possibilities.

Because Finland faces Canada in early game and Slovakia and Czech play later in the day they don't know which of the two will finish 4th in the other group.

member 305909

Unlike many other Finns who rejoice over Sweden getting knocked out I am actually happier about Slovakia making it through.

Also, there is no more need for any speculation that Slovakia and the Czechs would fix a suitable result to get them both through.

However, would they do that? Aren't their relation a bit like that of Finland and Sweden? A big brother vs a kid brother?

Reactions: Husqvarna

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Today was a crazy dramatic day and tomorrow will be one too when the QF pairings will be finally locked. At least from a Finnish point of view it should be. There is a difference in facing CZE or SVK for Finland, so that is exciting and it remains to be seen what happens.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Unlike many other Finns who rejoice over Sweden getting knocked out I am actually happier about Slovakia making it through.

Also, there is no more need for any speculation that Slovakia and the Czechs would fix a suitable result to get them both through.

However, would they do that? Aren't their relation a bit like that of Finland and Sweden? A big brother vs a kid brother?

Slovakia will kick to kill for their rather young nation of a nation ... the Czech not so much.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Finland is literally Slovak kryptonite, I don’t get it. At any level we can’t beat them, only time I remember is when we beat them with Godla having amazing performance at WJC. Other than that I don’t know. They stormed back at the 2010 Olympics and beat us for bronze and always seem to have our number. USA on the other hand we have more favorable results in junior and senior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad