Player Discussion: Robin Lehner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I said earlier this year that his comments about Buffalo made me think he has a bit of victim mentality. Signs of it here too. They offered him a contract and he didn't take it, that's it.

Man I'm going to miss him though. It was a great story.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think after the BOB signing his agent saw the dollar signs. Than the well dried up. Lehner is betting on himself once again. But it's hard to ignore he turned down a two year deal with us.

Well, I would have sided with him and his agent thinking there was more money than that out there for him. When league owners won't match a two year 10 million dollar contract for a Jennings winner you know the mental health thing is an even bigger concern than we thought.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
We need an appreciation thread. I will miss him.

Seriously no hard feelings and I wish we would have checked in with him before signing our new goalie.

Robin was a class act and I wish him and his family nothing but the best. Out of all our UFA's I was sure he was the one we would 100% sign

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
giving Varlamov 4 years instead of Robin is one of the largest fails this off-season. lou is old and crazy.

Reactions: ichabod13

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
I love Lehner and his story but if you were given an ultimatum then that’s it. Take it or leave it. Sorry Lehner you will be missed best of luck in Chicago
If I'd get an ultimatum and can't get a couple of days to think about it, I'd say screw you too. Obviously we only have sides of a story here so whatever, maybe they had to make a quick decision for whatever reason. Sad to see him go either way.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
for the ultimatum thing I just wished they (oh not they, I mean not LL, but Snowman) would have given ultimatum to that ex-captain prior to trade deadline.
I wish Lehner all the best playing goalie at Blackhawks, but now our stocks are in Varlamov (and Greiss).

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Well, I would have sided with him and his agent thinking there was more money than that out there for him. When league owners won't match a two year 10 million dollar contract for a Jennings winner you know the mental health thing is an even bigger concern than we thought.

It was always a huge thing. Are you going to risk years and millions of dollars on a guy that if he relapses tanks your whole season?

What bothers me is that fact he called Lou's offer an ultimatum. It was most likely firm offer that Lou wasn't going to budge off of. Ultimatum makes it sound all dramatic like when your gf gives you an ultimatum about getting married or some bs like that.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Well, here's Lehner's version how it turned out (and he swears it's the truth):

*Islanders took 1½ months to even contact him after the season was over.
*He wanted a little bit of a longer contract (like Varlamov got), but when he realized it wouldn't happen from the Islanders camp, he didn't care about the length.
*Then a shorter contract (2 years) was seriously discussed, but both parties stood a bit from eachother in terms of salary.
*They gave him an ultimatum, he took a couple of days to think about it, but then it was too late. Apparently the "ultimatum" was take it or leave, at the table, right there, right now. Maybe they should've told him that.

Source: Fick ultimatum och blev förd bakom ljuset

If that's true, it doesn't sound like the Islanders had much interest in keeping their Vezina finalist at all. More like they wanted reasons to not sign him, because that's some crappy negotiation tactics. First you make sure there's no time (100% fault on the Islanders office for waiting so long to even talk to him). Then the ultimatum, take it or leave it, right here, right now (without telling Lehner that's exactly what they meant). Not cool.

If I was Lehner and this is the truth, I would be pissed. That's not professional from the Islanders at all. To give a "take it or leave it" ultimatum at the table is what the mafia does. That the organization waited 1½ months to even pick up the phone and call him... also very unprofessional.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Indecision is how we got here in the first place. So many people said they wanted to stay and just left...leaving us up the creek without a paddle. This is part of setting the new culture. If you want to stay, then you sign.

Lehner was given a chance to prove himself, but 1 year of proving yourself does not equal to 4 years of contract. The Isles wanted to take this in stride just in case he relapses and we're stuck with a contract. This is business. As far as I'm concerned, Lehner needed to make a decision quick. As far as the Isles were concerned, they needed to shore up goaltending so they can move on.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
This one actually hurts a lot, as a Swede I loved Lehner playing for Islanders and Lehner obviously loved it too.

A shocking and confusing deal, Varlamov isn't bad but injury prone, I believe his style is a bit similar to Lehner actually. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Greiss getting the majority of the starts, he was great last season.

$5 million for a Vezina worthy Lehner is almost a bargain, congrats to Chicago. It will be much tougher for Lehner in Chicago comparing to Islanders though (because Islanders is a better team) and he will have to prove himself one more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: benedictTavares

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
So, did he really say no to Lou for 2 years at $5m per year and now got 1 year at $5m? He f-d that up big time.

Well, no, Lehner is worth more than $5 million / year (or a longer contract) and he will most probably prove himself one more time but this time for Chicago.

I can't say he f***ed it up, it's not his fault if Islanders don't value his Vezina worthy season? What did Islanders get now, an injury prone veteran goalie, a four year contract, the contract Lehner would have wanted (accepted)?? Talk about humiliating Lehner with this move.

Reactions: ichabod13

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Or Lehner could have a bumpy road in the future as it appears most NHL execs are betting on, take your pick

Ok, being a Vezina finalist and only one great season isn't enough, I get you.

He need to win the Vezina and the Cup before a team is ready giving him a multiyear contract, is this what you are syaing?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ok, being a Vezina finalist and only one great season isn't enough, I get you.

He need to win the Vezina and the Cup before a team is ready giving him a multiyear contract, is this what you are syaing?
Varlamov was a Vezina finalist once also. What's your point? You're upset because Lou didn't re-sign your fellow countryman.?

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Varlamov was a Vezina finalist once also. What's your point? You're upset because Lou didn't re-sign your fellow countryman.?

Yes, I am, I couldn't believe this, very confusing. :) I loved Lehner playing for Islanders and I was so happy for him, such a great story.

Hopefully Varlamov turns out fine but he has been a bit injury prone the last seasons, a bit concerning.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I sign on here to read this crap. For the sheer humanity of it all they should have resigned him. What a joke. If he were to relapse wouldn't an insurance policy have gone into effect or they would have other recourse to take? Bah, bad move by Lou IMO. He was the one bright spot highlighting last season and we don't even get the chance to thank or congratulate him on a great season. I hope this does not affect in anyway how us fans felt about him. He was a great player for us and I wish him all the best. Stay strong dude! Apparently signing old washed up players includes goaltenders too for Lameorello.

Reactions: ichabod13 and 21

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Well, here's Lehner's version how it turned out (and he swears it's the truth):

*Islanders took 1½ months to even contact him after the season was over.
*He wanted a little bit of a longer contract (like Varlamov got), but when he realized it wouldn't happen from the Islanders camp, he didn't care about the length.
*Then a shorter contract (2 years) was seriously discussed, but both parties stood a bit from eachother in terms of salary.
*They gave him an ultimatum, he took a couple of days to think about it, but then it was too late. Apparently the "ultimatum" was take it or leave, at the table, right there, right now. Maybe they should've told him that.

Source: Fick ultimatum och blev förd bakom ljuset

If that's true, it doesn't sound like the Islanders had much interest in keeping their Vezina finalist at all. More like they wanted reasons to not sign him, because that's some crappy negotiation tactics. First you make sure there's no time (100% fault on the Islanders office for waiting so long to even talk to him). Then the ultimatum, take it or leave it, right here, right now (without telling Lehner that's exactly what they meant). Not cool.

If I was Lehner and this is the truth, I would be pissed. That's not professional from the Islanders at all. To give a "take it or leave it" ultimatum at the table is what the mafia does. That the organization waited 1½ months to even pick up the phone and call him... also very unprofessional.
What exactly is unprofessional or not cool? Mafia? Spare me. He's an unrestricted free agent. He owes the Isles nothing and Isles owe him nothing. They gave him a shot last year and were super supportive in his struggles. By his admission, the coaching staff and management were instrumental in his recovery and resurrecting his career. They clearly wanted Varlamov over Lehner and pursued him more. Fair to debate whether or not that was the right approach but to say the Isles somehow screwed Lehner is simply not true. If there's any "fault" here it should go to Lehner's agent. The Isles got their guy. Lehner ended up with a worse deal than what he rejected from the Isles in the first place.

And take it or leave it offers happen all the time.

Last edited:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
To think signing Lehner was the one good addition I thought Lame-o made when he joined the Isles and he lets the guy walk after having a stellar season. Figures.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes, I am, I couldn't believe this, very confusing. :) I loved Lehner playing for Islanders and I was so happy for him, such a great story.

Hopefully Varlamov turns out fine but he has been a bit injury prone the last seasons, a bit concerning.
Varlamov has had injuries before. He’s recovered. I’m not overly concerned.

This was done with an eye towards getting Ilya Sorokin to sign here after his KHL contract ends. Signing Varlamov for 4 years basically gives you next season with him and Greiss, the following year with him mentoring Sorokin while he eases into life in NA. Then the Isles will have one goalie at $5M and the other on an ELC.

Robin Lehner was great for us and I wonder why Lou didn’t feel he was worth investing in for more than 2 years. I don’t think we’ll ever know why. But what we do know is Lou and his coaches wanted Varlamov here last year and couldn’t get him.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Indecision is how we got here in the first place. So many people said they wanted to stay and just left...leaving us up the creek without a paddle. This is part of setting the new culture. If you want to stay, then you sign.

Lehner was given a chance to prove himself, but 1 year of proving yourself does not equal to 4 years of contract. The Isles wanted to take this in stride just in case he relapses and we're stuck with a contract. This is business. As far as I'm concerned, Lehner needed to make a decision quick. As far as the Isles were concerned, they needed to shore up goaltending so they can move on.
And Lehner agreed on a shorter contract, it was the salary they were discussing (all reports say it was 5x2). And Lehner needed to make a quick decision, as the Islanders sat on their hands for 1½ months(!) of crucial negotiation time. How do you explain that with a straight face? That's just baffling. Why do you start negotiating so close to the deadline? Why?

The time pressure and the panic was 100% the Islanders fault. Business is doing nothing until moments until the deadline, then doing something dumb while in panic and it... sort of... works out.

My take on it is, Islanders wanted Varlamov from the start. They just held Lehner as the backup hostage, then ditched him the moment they had a chance on Varlamov. And they slapped him in the face while doing it.
He turned down a multi year contract. Move on and dry your eyes folks.
How can you decline something you aren't even given a chance to respond to? He turned down nothing, the Islanders ditched him.

Ironically, this is exactly what Tavares did to the Islanders, only the roles were reversed. I 100% understand why players do it, if franchises do it all the time.
What exactly is unprofessional or not cool? Mafia? Spare me. He's an unrestricted free agent. He owes the Isles nothing and Isles owe him nothing. They gave him a shot last year and were super supportive in his struggles. By his admission, the coaching staff and management were instrumental in his recovery and resurrecting his career. They clearly wanted Varlamov over Lehner and pursued him more. Fair to debate whether or not that was the right approach but to say the Isles somehow screwed Lehner is simply not true. If there's any "fault" here it should go to Lehner's agent. The Isles got their guy. Lehner ended up with a worse deal than what he rejected from the Isles in the first place.

And take it or leave it offers happen all the time.
To be able to reject something, you should be able to reject it. If the side offering the contract is terminating the offer, how the heck can you define that as a rejection by the player? That's some weird semantics there.

Last edited:

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Well I guess the Islanders are the mafia now? Grow up. This place is like watching a bunch of children throw tantrums in the middle of a supermarket.

Lehner received a contract from the Islanders that was much better than his previous one. This reeks of his agent trying to hold the Islanders hostage, and trying to squeeze some more dollars out of them while negotiating with other teams. They gambled and lost.

If Lehner was so deadset on staying, then why didn't he sign the 2x5 when it was given to him? Pay raise and he gets to stay where he allegedly loves and wants to play.

Reactions: MJF and Kevin27NYI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad