Player Discussion: Robin Lehner

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reading some of the reaction. And really I get both sides of the argument. I love Lehner and respect him for what he accomplished last year.

But I would be remiss if I didn't say it was Lou and the Isles(korn, trotz ect..) that rescued his career last year. He only played 46 games, and his numbers were only slightly better than Greiss'.

Given this, I think he should have taken a 2 year raise at 5M. The Isles want to see more. It is there right to. Unfortunate he didn't and he got 1 yr in Chicago instead. He is still essentially proving he is worth a longer term.

That's my take, perhaps 46 games, and slightly better numbers than Griess is not conclusive enough to over playing your worth.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
I have seen some mention of Lehner's health issues and since I have a somewhat intimate relationship with mental health issues I always will take the opportunity to shed some light.

But first, and please read this carefully; I have no idea what R. Lehner's diagnosis is nor what if any treatment plan he has been, or currently is, under. I am not a doctor but rather a person who's family has a gene that runs through our line that can trigger mental health problems in seemingly random fashion. I do not claim that what is written below pertains to R. Lehner but is rather and over view of mental health struggles from a layman's position and based on personal experience.

First thing I always start out with is this, Those who suffer from mental health issues are not at fault, no more than the cancer patient or any other person stricken by disease in-spite of a healthy lifestyle. These poor folks have just gotten sick through no fault of their own. Always try and remember this as you encounter those who are sick and untreated. Now I want to put a point here, mental health issues are treated very poorly by our insurance system, even those with good insurance struggle to get good treatment and as far as the under or un-insured, forget it, they will receive minimum treatments at best and then be turned out to the streets to fend for themselves. We have all seen the results.

As far as my experiences, there is a gene that runs through my family that can trigger, depression, bi-polar disorder and anxiety. Although I have been one of the lucky one's (I think, although who really can say if our realities are sane or not?! LOL) other family members, including my dear brother who I lost at 49 years of age have not been so lucky.

Today's best science still struggles with mental health issues, they are complex diseases that need to be treated differently in each patient. When the disease first manifests itself getting it under control can be a very long very heartbreaking experience. You soon learn that it is forever life changing as, at least for now, control not cure is often the best that can be done. Once under control folks can lead very normal and productive lives. Jobs, families whatever goals set out are very reasonable expectations. But there is a big elephant that always lurks, and that's the bodies ability to adapt to treatments and thereby letting the disease take control once again. This can happen suddenly and then the long struggle to regain control begins again. Sometimes, for any number of factors, regaining control can become an impossibility, this is the worst case scenario and one that you try not to think about while struggling with these diseases.

Do I think the Islanders did this much due-diligence and decided to only offer a shorter term contract? I don't know, it seems kind of cold to me and I would like to think not. Anyway I offer this as just one mans experience and if just a small amount of compassion is the result then I will consider this time well spent.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I have seen some mention of Lehner's health issues and since I have a somewhat intimate relationship with mental health issues I always will take the opportunity to shed some light.

But first, and please read this carefully; I have no idea what R. Lehner's diagnosis is nor what if any treatment plan he has been, or currently is, under. I am not a doctor but rather a person who's family has a gene that runs through our line that can trigger mental health problems in seemingly random fashion. I do not claim that what is written below pertains to R. Lehner but is rather and over view of mental health struggles from a layman's position and based on personal experience.

First thing I always start out with is this, Those who suffer from mental health issues are not at fault, no more than the cancer patient or any other person stricken by disease in-spite of a healthy lifestyle. These poor folks have just gotten sick through no fault of their own. Always try and remember this as you encounter those who are sick and untreated. Now I want to put a point here, mental health issues are treated very poorly by our insurance system, even those with good insurance struggle to get good treatment and as far as the under or un-insured, forget it, they will receive minimum treatments at best and then be turned out to the streets to fend for themselves. We have all seen the results.

As far as my experiences, there is a gene that runs through my family that can trigger, depression, bi-polar disorder and anxiety. Although I have been one of the lucky one's (I think, although who really can say if our realities are sane or not?! LOL) other family members, including my dear brother who I lost at 49 years of age have not been so lucky.

Today's best science still struggles with mental health issues, they are complex diseases that need to be treated differently in each patient. When the disease first manifests itself getting it under control can be a very long very heartbreaking experience. You soon learn that it is forever life changing as, at least for now, control not cure is often the best that can be done. Once under control folks can lead very normal and productive lives. Jobs, families whatever goals set out are very reasonable expectations. But there is a big elephant that always lurks, and that's the bodies ability to adapt to treatments and thereby letting the disease take control once again. This can happen suddenly and then the long struggle to regain control begins again. Sometimes, for any number of factors, regaining control can become an impossibility, this is the worst case scenario and one that you try not to think about while struggling with these diseases.

Do I think the Islanders did this much due-diligence and decided to only offer a shorter term contract? I don't know, it seems kind of cold to me and I would like to think not. Anyway I offer this as just one mans experience and if just a small amount of compassion is the result then I will consider this time well spent.
Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss. :(

In my opinion, Lou and the coaching staff simply feel that Varlamov is the better goalie. Period. They tried to get him last year and had their sights set on him as free agency approached this year.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
As frustrating as it may be, I believe this all has to do with avoiding:

a) A Tavares-esque conundrum (sign or leave)
b) Avoiding Ladd-like contracts

Lehner was amazing, but he should view this as a gift. He turned around his career here and gets to prove himself on a potential contender.

Whether or not I think this was harsh, is now in the past...

Reactions: Treebeard and dood

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Lehner was amazing, but he should view this as a gift. He turned around his career here and gets to prove himself on a potential contender.

Lee and Nelson are potential Ladd like deals.

Reactions: ichabod13

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
It would seem this is exactly the case. I don't know that we needed to commit $5M for four years but if he plays well and it ends up bringing over Sorokin then I think it will pay off in the long run.

In my opinion, Lou and the coaching staff simply feel that Varlamov is the better goalie. Period. They tried to get him last year and had their sights set on him as free agency approached this year.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I think that's a bit of a stretch. The Nelson contract is team friendly considering he could've walked and Lee was pretty much fair market value. They are both a little younger than Ladd was when he signed his contract. Look, any contract can turn out to be a Ladd like contract but I was pretty happy with the deals they got for Nelson and Lee.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Just saw Robin’s interview on NHL Net. Going to miss him.

I get the sense that Lehner felt rejected by NYI not offering longer term, also miffed that NYI like Varly more, he looked elsewhere. He has a mood disorder, he’s an emotional guy (eg see interviews), I’m not surprised.

Prefer Robin over Varly. If Varly shits the bed, oof. 5 mil. for an oft-injured, Jeckyl and Hyde goalie.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

The more I dwell on it, the logical conclusion is that the Isles are all in on Sorokin. This move was 80% Sorokin and 20% indecision on Lehner.

I just don't see the value in Varlymov at $4M x 5 yrs when they likely could have had Lehner at $4-5M x 3 years.
As a fan, I loved what Lehner brought to the ice and I'll roll the dice all day with guys like him who have proven they can raise their game and have shown commitment to the team.
I'm on board with Varlymov only because I'm a fan and I'm inclined to stay optimistic.

BTW, nice moniker. Are we related?

Reactions: Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Agreed. I think those contracts could hamper us from signing quality UFAs (if they would come here...) in the next few years. Lee's deal is especially unfortunate in my opinion, but you can't let two captains walk year after year.

Teecee

Jul 5, 2019

Couldn’t agree with you more. Lehner is a good goalie , will have many good games but won’t get them over the top. Varlamov is more athletic and quicker.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Isles dropped the ball on this one hard. Surprised the offer (which came late and then was an ultimatum) was only 2 yrs x $3.5/4M. He was genuinely happy here and could've been here for 6 more years easy.

Thanks for a great season and wish you the best RL.

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad