Robin Lehner Discussion Thread

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Okay. Does anyone look at Lehner and think hes Carey Price? I mean if you look at their actual ability.

Price's was always a solid technical goalie and very calm with a cool demeanor. Price's main issues stemmed from athleticism. To correct this he cut 25 pounds and it took awhile for him to adjust.

Still i dont look at lehner and see the same technical ability price displayed when he was younger.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Okay. Does anyone look at Lehner and think hes Carey Price? I mean if you look at their actual ability.

Price's was always a solid technical goalie and very calm with a cool demeanor. Price's main issues stemmed from athleticism. To correct this he cut 25 pounds and it took awhile for him to adjust.

Still i dont look at lehner and see the same technical ability price displayed when he was younger.

I think it's pre-NHL career and the fact they're both headcases that cause the comparisons. That and geography.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
For Lehner it's all mental in what's holding him back from taking the next step. He has the physical ability and the skill to be a solid goalie but he's unable to find the right mind frame to play the position at the moment.

He needs to sort that out somehow this off season. If we do keep him, and I hope we do, next season is going to be the most important one of his career and whether or not he's going to be part of the organization moving forward.

I say Murray gives him a chance to redeem himself but not many more after that

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hear a lot about the Calder in regards to Lehner.

Since it is a feeder league, I need to ask....who else was on the roster during that run? If we're talking about a really stacked roster, that makes one heck of a difference (just ask Chris Osgood and his multiple Cup rings).

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Since it is a feeder league, I need to ask....who else was on the roster during that run? If we're talking about a really stacked roster, that makes one heck of a difference (just ask Chris Osgood and his multiple Cup rings).

It was reasonably stacked by AHL standards:

file_71_22.jpg

Karlsson2Turris*

Lehner will either be Tuukka Rask 2.0 or Jakob Markstrom 2.0

There will be no middle ground

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008

They also won it in the most clutch high pressure way possible.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
For Lehner it's all mental in what's holding him back from taking the next step. He has the physical ability and the skill to be a solid goalie but he's unable to find the right mind frame to play the position at the moment.

He needs to sort that out somehow this off season. If we do keep him, and I hope we do, next season is going to be the most important one of his career and whether or not he's going to be part of the organization moving forward.

I think it's more than just mental with Lehner, I'm not sure he has a good hockey IQ & technical ability is quite poor. If you watch some of his puck possession & passing he constantly passes the puck the wrong way or simply gives it away, his puck handling skills are poor. Hammond as a comparison is quite calm in the net while Lehner looks out of control at times, he flops a lot when making saves something else you don't see a lot from Hammond. Hammond doesn't have a lot of movement in his style while Lehner has a lot of movement & Hammond IMO has better puck handling skills.

When comparing the two styles I prefer the calmer less movement & technically sound play of Hammond over Lehner. BM will have to make a decision on these three goalies before July 1 if Hammond is going to be a UFA & IMO he is the one they should keep & a decision needs to be made on one of the other two.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

A lot of NHLers on that team, even if some of them were fringe.

I mean, there's 15 NHLers that I circled in green right there, and that's not even including guys like Keller who had a cup of coffee with the Sens over a couple of callups, or Grant who I think could be an NHLer right now, or Dzyirzkszknszkiyzy who looked quite good with us until he got KO'd, or Bass who like Dzyzurzynszkzyzi also looked to be a future piece until he got hurt, or Brodeur who had our famous Central Park game vs the Rangers, or Wick who was a Euro regular who despite not being able to transition well to small ice was still a very skilled player.

That was a solid, solid team.

Last edited:

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL

it was all potulny

No, it was all Barry Brust.

I hate it when fans come on here and start saying that Lehner won the Calder Cup for Binghamton. Sure, he stepped up in the playoffs, but the entire reason that team even made the playoffs that year was the other goalie. Brust was ran so hard that he eventually broke down in the first round of the playoffs. In fact, it's eerily similar to what is happening with Hammond in Ottawa.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

I mean, there's 15 NHLers that I circled in green right there, and that's not even including guys like Keller who had a cup of coffee with the Sens over a couple of callups, or Grant who I think could be an NHLer right now, or Dzyirzkszknszkiyzy who looked quite good with us until he got KO'd, or Bass who like Dzyzurzynszkzyzi also looked to be a future piece until he got hurt, or Brodeur who had our famous Central Park game vs the Rangers, or Wick who was a Euro regular who despite not being able to transition well to small ice was still a very skilled player.

Not to mention Brust, who played a few games with the Kings, and our leading point-getter, who had a few games with Montreal and Ottawa. And a Locke on the scoring race.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I completely disagree with this. Lehner has a huge technique problem with pucks in his feet. In order to become a quality NHL goaltender he needs to solve this technical problem because the 29 other NHL teams at this point all seem to know this. The puck is put in his feet often because he struggles with it. And when the puck does go in from the feet area, the goals tend to look weak. Weak goals are deflating. At that point it becomes mental for him and for the team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yep. Kinda figured it wasn't a one-man goaltending show.

Not saying anything against Lehner in all this, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a Patrick Roy '93 Cup kind of run (as in, ace goalie + mediocre team = Cup) the way some posters talk about it.

Ttracer*

Lehners really in an awful spot, like markstrom. Both possess great talent but there's no room in the league for anything but spectacular every night

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Yep. Kinda figured it wasn't a one-man goaltending show.

Not saying anything against Lehner in all this, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a Patrick Roy '93 Cup kind of run (as in, ace goalie + mediocre team = Cup) the way some posters talk about it.

Before Lehner stepped in Bingo was getting trounced in the first round.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0007912007.html

Lets make a comparison to Price's team.

Seems like there are quite a few NHL players on that roster, as well as AHL all-stars.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hammond's increadible Hollywood like breakthrough doesn't make Lehner a bad goalie.

From Lehner's point of view I wish he gets traded, he is a future #1 goalie but shouldn't spoil his career waiting and humiliating himself behind coaches and fan favorites Hammond and Andersen.

My guess is Red Wings within a season or two. Goalie hell Toronto is another possibility but hopefully not (almost all goalies gets blamed in Toronto and ruins their careers).

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I have said stuff about trading Lehner. I am not his biggest fan.

But right now Lehner is fighting big concussion symptoms for weeks and weeks. Is it 4,5,6 weeks now? That is awful. He is a young good guy with a new baby and he hasn't practiced? I am worried for him as a person. He probably eventually gets more ok like most do from concussions. But this is a really long time. MacArthur took quite Awhile off and is back and playing well.

I really hope Lehner recovers just to be normal and himself. Concussions are terrible. I could care less about who is our goalie, or if we trade him or he retires. Just get better and have a good life. Maybe he is a starter here or elsewhere. Who cares? If a you guys brain is broken money or NHL status means nothing. I don't care if Lehner is a top tier goalie here or elsewhere... Just get better. I have had issues myself with my health. I just hope Lehner recovers fully from the concussion. Senators be damned. Hope he isn't like Savard, Deadmarsh, Pronger. He just had a kid. At this point I just cheering for him regaining his full health. Been long enough just to wish for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad