Robin Lehner Discussion Thread

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
With a 3 headed goalie monster once again, hopefully BM doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
I think Hammond will fall back down to earth and decision will be a pretty simple one.

The only way this could happen would be if he brakes a leg while falling back down to earth. :laugh: I do agree that he he has been lucky at certain times, but this doesn't take away his abilities and techniques. Too many of us have made our assessment based on the way he has played down in Bingo, but for which ever reason our D's have been more solide in our zone, he has out performed Lenher, and the whole team is playing better with him in net. If he keeps on playing that way, I would certainly keep him and Andersson for next year and drive them for the years to come until we can find a good young prospect to replacement them.

Last edited:

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Hear me out here. Ever since we told Lehner to calm his rage tendencies he's been struggling to improve in a linear fashion.

What if, by limiting his rage we are in fact limiting his power levels. I think there's a correlation between the two. I bet you if throughout his career we will see a positive correlation between # of fights and save %.

Why don't we just let him run wild and smash faces in the crease. It would be refreshing and honestly that's what I wanted to see when he came up from the A.

Food for thought

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He's clearly our 3rd goalie right now, without a doubt in my mind.

No idea what the team is going to do in the offseason, but with Hammond basically forcing the team to give him a 1-way deal next year (not just because of skill, but also because Hammond's "Hamburglar" streak has been such a huge media boom for the team across the league that we may get lambasted in the press by letting him walk), it'll be between Lehner and Anderson as far as which other goalie we keep next year, and which one we unload in the offseason.

If the team is confident that Hammond can be a 50-game starter next year, we'll probably shop Anderson, but I'm not sure hockey ops have that faith quite yet - Hammond still hasn't played anywhere near a full season before in his career. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Lehner get dealt, assuming of course that there is a solid market for his services (ie: we won't trade him at a discount).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He's clearly our 3rd goalie right now, without a doubt in my mind.

No idea what the team is going to do in the offseason, but with Hammond basically forcing the team to give him a 1-way deal next year (not just because of skill, but also because Hammond's "Hamburglar" streak has been such a huge media boom for the team across the league that we may get lambasted in the press by letting him walk), it'll be between Lehner and Anderson as far as which other goalie we keep next year, and which one we unload in the offseason.

If the team is confident that Hammond can be a 50-game starter next year, we'll probably shop Anderson, but I'm not sure hockey ops have that faith quite yet - Hammond still hasn't played anywhere near a full season before in his career. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Lehner get dealt, assuming of course that there is a solid market for his services (ie: we won't trade him at a discount).

Sens are not going into next season with a tandem of Hammond-Lehner. That is just a disaster waiting to happen imo.

I would feel more comfortable with a Hammond-Anderson tandem being that we know Anderson can come in and play good if Hammond crumbles.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
What are the possibilities Hammond accepts a one year 2-way deal with a signing bonus...that way he gets his money and the sens get to keep him for another year, giving them a chance to evaluate both Lehner and Anderson.

I really like Hammond, even as a habs fan I follow his hype in Ottawa, the dude is awesome lol and he's already a fan favourite. Sens need to find a way to keep all 3 somehow...

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What are the possibilities Hammond accepts a one year 2-way deal with a signing bonus...that way he gets his money and the sens get to keep him for another year, giving them a chance to evaluate both Lehner and Anderson.

I really like Hammond, even as a habs fan I follow his hype in Ottawa, the dude is awesome lol and he's already a fan favourite. Sens need to find a way to keep all 3 somehow...

Do you really think he is going to accept a 2-way after the season he is having right now?

He would be very stupid to accept one. If not the Sens, a team will give him a 1-way deal.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No way Anderson is traded so Hammond can be the starter. Murray has made it known how high of an asking price management has for Anderson (Ryan + more). Unless they get that kind of a package, which is very, very unlikely, it seems Anderson will stay a Senator next season.

Ideal scenario for me is we trade Lehner for assets, sign a guy like Matt O'Connor (young potential starter) and go with a duo of Anderson/Hammond next season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sens are not going into next season with a tandem of Hammond-Lehner. That is just a disaster waiting to happen imo.

I agree, but there's enough Lehner diehards on these boards that I'm trying to be diplomatic about it. I'm leaving the door open for arguments from the Lehnsanity crowd. Nothing wrong with hearing the other side of that argument.

Ideal scenario for me is we trade Lehner for assets, sign a guy like Matt O'Connor (young potential starter) and go with a duo of Anderson/Hammond next season.

Yep, this is my "Plan A" as well.

Hammond/Andy duo for the next couple of years, with O'Connor spending a year in Bingo and convincing us he's the real deal as our "young goalie of the future".

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
No way Anderson is traded so Hammond can be the starter. Murray has made it known how high of an asking price management has for Anderson (Ryan + more). Unless they get that kind of a package, which is very, very unlikely, it seems Anderson will stay a Senator next season.

I'd rather the team take this gamble to try to get a return for a Top 4 D than not keep Hammond. At this point our biggest return with the least risk would be shipping off Lehner.

Going with the worst outcome between these 3 goalies isn't the end of the world by any means and I think is an acceptable risk considering the upside could be

Karlsson-Methot
Top 4 D - Ceci
Boro - Gryba/Cowen/Wiercioch

Provided we don't have to package one if Cowen or Wiercioch with Lehner to net a good return.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Almost zero. Maybe 2% chance? And that's being generous.

Signing bonuses are structured into a player's AAV CAP hit, I'm not sure how this solves anything for the Sens or Hammond.

Yeah but I thought if he got sent down he'd earn an AHL salary even if he has say a cap hit of 2m...where as if he earns a signing bonus he gets paid the 2m in salary.

Do you really think he is going to accept a 2-way after the season he is having right now?

He would be very stupid to accept one. If not the Sens, a team will give him a 1-way deal.

You're right, I guess I was trying to offset his departure by throwing money at him :laugh:

Pretty tough goalie situation the sens have going on

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Pretty tough goalie situation the sens have going on

The only thing "tough" about it will be trying to get full value back for one of our goalies in a trade.

Goalies are almost always traded at a discount. We need someone to feel desperate enough to give us full-value on one of our guys.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The only thing "tough" about it will be trying to get full value back for one of our goalies in a trade.

Goalies are almost always traded at a discount. We need someone to feel desperate enough to give us full-value on one of our guys.

Oilers.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
No, I said we need someone to feel DESPERATE enough, not STUPID enough. :laugh:

That being said, "Desperate" has roughly the same value as "Stupid" to us in this scenario, so I'll take it. :nod:

And the Oilers will be desperate enough.

Scrivens is garbage. They need a proven #1.

If they don't get a #1 starting goaltender, they will just be another bottom 5 team next season.

But knowing the Oilers, i expect them to do nothing to fix their team.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

When did he say that?

There's no way he can expect a Ryan+ type return for Anderson. I'd be really surprised if Murray said that.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa

What is "full-value" for a sub .500 NHL goalie, who now has a concussion problem, but has ' potential ' If we get a big package back, then we know many teams were interested in his potential. If there's not much in the way of offers, we know what the rest of the league thinks.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
Lehner is gone after this season, through trade or otherwise. He's been absolute garbage and has shown very little upside to his game in the last year.

Whereas Hammond has won us several games this session, Lehner has single handedly given up points by performing terribly under pressure. Ship him off.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Semyon Varlamov once got two 1st round picks and a 2nd from a desperate Colorado team. But that deal was looked at as insane at the time.

We can only hope some team is that desperate. Preferably someone like St. Louis when their goaltending causes them to flame out in the playoffs again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So....I haven't really heard much of anything about the 2016 draft (except for that Chyrchyn (sp?) kid in the OHL). How does it look? Obviously not as deep or strong as 2015.....if GMs aren't too enamored with 2016, we might be able to squeeze someone for a first round pick.

I'd hate to get rid of Lehner (or Andy...or see Hammond walk), but we all know it's just too awkward to have 3 NHL goalies on the roster.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Semyon Varlamov once got two 1st round picks and a 2nd from a desperate Colorado team. But that deal was looked at as insane at the time.

We can only hope some team is that desperate. Preferably someone like St. Louis when their goaltending causes them to flame out in the playoffs again.

I imagine they'll give Jake Allen a couple of years before they go out and pay full pop for a goalie via trade.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I love bumping threads for players who haven't played in in two months, you can only talk positive things about such player in this scenario right?

Should have bumped the MacArthur threads when Milo was playing awesome in his spot, since MacArthur was struggling heavily before, but now that the team is playing better as a whole so is MacArthur.

Anderson on the other hand has not been giving this team chances to win in his starts since he came back, really want to see how Lehner will play in front of this team now. Need to remember before you call him garbage look at his potential guy is huge and athletic super competitive and wants to win more than any other goaltender in this league. Has won a championship in professional hockey. He is still insanely young probably 4 years away from the age most goalies break into the league and prove themselves. He is still learning be patient with him. It will suck to see him pull a Bishop in a few years and I will legit cry when the trade Lehner boat goes hindsight is 20/20....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad