Robin Lehner Discussion Thread

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Bad defense has ruined his confidence, I would say and resulted in soft goals here and there.

Rask played behind a great D behind Boston, and look what he developed into.

Oh ya, and he got Big Rigged the past couple of games.

Lawson just got Big Rigged, he is officially an Ottawa Senator goalie!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Phillips & Karlsson keep testing him with turnovers & giveaways. :cry:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Stupid coach should be playing this guy every game then we would be the bestest. just read any one of 1000 posts

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
last season might have given an incomplete evaluation of him, and other players.

To be a little fair, last season the players stuck to the D-System way better than this year.

The point of it is to collapse and box out everyone from the slot and near the goalie.
This year, we fail at it miserably.

The failure of the players not being able to play the system has hit our goalies hard this season, mixed in with their own inability to make a save here and there.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
Bad defense has ruined his confidence, I would say and resulted in soft goals here and there.

Rask played behind a great D behind Boston, and look what he developed into.

Oh ya, and he got Big Rigged the past couple of games.

Lawson just got Big Rigged, he is officially an Ottawa Senator goalie!

I agree that if he had a half decent defensive team in front of him he'd be a lot better. In hindsight though I think Bishop was a better goalie than Lehner and we should have retained him and traded Lehner.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
I really thought Lehner would keep up his play from last season and make Anderson expendable. Our future doesn't seem as bright with Lehner playing poorly this year but he is still very young and he (and Anderson) are getting no help from the defense

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he is young and therefore inconsistant

while the team isnt great infront of him he is letting in some terrible goals and he has ALWAYS had rebound issues since coming into the nhl

he has a ways to go all part of the process for a 22 year old goalie. Most of these guys dont hit their stride till they are 24-26

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's playing in front of a bottom 3 defensive system in the NHL. No goalie looks good in front of that garbage.

Phillips & Karlsson keep testing him with turnovers & giveaways. :cry:

The entire defense. Not just those two.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I agree that if he had a half decent defensive team in front of him he'd be a lot better. In hindsight though I think Bishop was a better goalie than Lehner and we should have retained him and traded Lehner.

bishop is also a lot older

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
The defence has obviously sucked, but Lehner's rebound control is brutal. He's just not playing good hockey.

Whatever, this year's a wash. Maybe next year..

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I just don't see it with Lehner. I know he's young but he's below average in a few categories and he is flat out not giving his teammates a chance to win crucial games

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I just don't see it with Lehner. I know he's young but he's below average in a few categories and he is flat out not giving his teammates a chance to win crucial games

I personally think it's just a result of terrible defense that has now not only have an effect on the quality of chances but the goalies ability to make a save.

Playing behind consistently terrible defense can really hurt the brain unfortunately.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Lehner I think needed another year or two in the AHL, with a couple other goalie prospects coming through the system to keep him challenged in a regular 1a/1b platoon.

Instead he's been bounced up and down between clubs over the past few years, with plenty of inconsistent playing times. And now he just looks completely lost for some reason -- I have to wonder who our goalie coach is and if it was a recent change?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Young and technique has abandoned him. He'll get it back and is still the future of this team.

I agree. He's played great for years to get to this point and three months of bad play shouldn't erase that.

But right now the dude is broken.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
He's a young guy who's prone to inconsistencies like other young guys. Oh, and the fact that he's playing in front of a team that's stopped caring doesn't help either.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
He never has been, and never will be, anything special. He was awarded the Calder MVP after a miserable regular season in which the BSens made the playoffs because of Barry Brust, while Lehner went 10-8-2 on the season. I really wouldn't have a problem with Lehner if people let him develop properly and not throw him into the backup role with no experience and nothing but hype justifying his presence. He will eventually be dealt to another team and prosper (as was the case with Bishop) or he'll leave for Europe.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I've said every year we should be drafting at least one goalie, just in case -- honestly I would have taken Steve Mason over Eric Gryba back in 2006, Tyson Sexsmith over Louie Caporusso in 2007, Anders Lindback was available in 2008 instead of Emil Sandin, 2009 we got Lehner finally, etc etc

I think this honestly would have helped us a ton -- then you have options, can allow a goalie to develop over in Europe.. one in the NCAA... one in the CHL, maybe even one in the ECHL, and a couple in the AHL - on top of your starter and backup in the big club.

This way Lehner doesn't get handed the reins, has to work for them. Which given his initial personality would have been better anyway.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The kid is shell-shocked. No support from the defense or forwards, and tons of high-quality shots on him every game.

And, it definitely feels like there are some rifts developing in that room. The guys aren't playing for one another at all this season. This team is shattered.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
can anyone possibly argue that he would not have been better off starting every game in binghamton this yr? And we wouldn't be better off with anderson, bishop here?

Huge mistake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad