Rumor: Robin Lehner and VGK have a 5 year $25m contract with place. UPDATE: Lehner stated nothing finalized

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is going off of memory, but I think it's basically $2.5 million, $3.5 million and 2 years of $2 million. So not quite that bad, but it is still bad.

The problem is what team is going to trade for Fleury?

Well I'm not sure I'd want him but Toronto is in the market for a goalie

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Fleury has a NTC and I don't see why he'd allow a trade to New Jersey.

Add a capable backup, upgrade our defence with all the assets we have with a boat load of cap space and this team isn’t far away from making some noise in the Metro.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The Devils are the perfect team for Fleury since we need a mentor for Blackwood. We can also gain a significant asset by taking back Fleury, relieving cap space for Vegas.
Name one reason why MAF would be interested in a cellar dweller team like NJ? Pretty sure they're on his 10 team no trade list. Yeah he's won 3 cups but still can't see him wasting his time in New Jersey.

Reactions: Morrison

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Schneider is cooked. If he’s not bought out, he’s playing in Binghamton.

It's still alot of money . Is the Devils ownership willing to pay that much money for subpar goaltending ? Especially now . I don't see it. MAF is still decent but he's really expensive and Schneider , while cooked i agreed , is still around and is still owed a big sum of money.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Name one reason why MAF would be interested in a cellar dweller team like NJ? Pretty sure they're on his 10 team no trade list. Yeah he's won 3 cups but still can't see him wasting his time in New Jersey.

For starters, contending teams don’t have the 7M$ cap space to eat his deal?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I really hope that is not the route we take.

I don’t see how Vegas won’t have to add a sweetener to take on a cap hit of 7M$ per year for 2 years.

If we have the cap space, the need for a solid 1-2 punch between the pipes and more assets for our rebuild, I don’t see a valid reason why we wouldn’t go for a deal like that.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For starters, contending teams don’t have the 7M$ cap space to eat his deal?

Colorado? He'd expire in two years and gives a really good team with really bad goaltending a three time Cup winning goalie.

Makar and Landeskog both expiring next year hurts, though.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

What if no other team makes on offer for him? I doubt he'd rather stay and be the backup in Vegas after these playoffs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price is not going to be traded. Even less of a chance the Habs are going to eat up a total of $24M cap over six years to NOT have him. It's just all around an asinine thought considering we're talking about the face of the franchise of the Montreal freaking Canadiens.

Agreed. And based on how Avs fans have treated Habs fans and have thrown Price under the bus... their number is blocked. Good luck with Grubauer or any other bargain bin goalie. It might work, might not

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This feels like amazing news for Vancouver as well.

It would be a hard sell for Markstrom to make over 6.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What if no other team makes on offer for him? I doubt he'd rather stay and be the backup in Vegas after these playoffs
He's going to be 36 years old in November, And making $14 million for 2 more years doubt many teams will be interested in him. It's basically only going to be bottom feeding teams looking to acquire him anyways most of them are the ones seeking goaltending not your contending teams.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This is going off of memory, but I think it's basically $2.5 million, $3.5 million and 2 years of $2 million. So not quite that bad, but it is still bad.

The problem is what team is going to trade for Fleury?

No one. There would need to be a large number of firsts attached to him, or a piece like Glass or Krebs. It was a dumb contract and that's the price you pay to offload it.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If this is the case, it sets a pretty good precedent for the Canucks and Markstrom.

I fully expect that salaries will be down a fair bit for the next couple of seasons with the flat cap. Going to be real interesting to see what some of the higher end guys have their deals structured as.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Well I'm not sure I'd want him but Toronto is in the market for a goalie
We're not in the market for a more expensive, worse, older goalie than the one we have though. Fleury has been mediocre for two years in front of a great Vegas team, what's he going to look like behind Toronto's defence? Toronto doesn't need to move anyone to get our RFAs signed and fit under the cap.

If Fleury for 2 years is is the alternative, the Leafs are better off just keeping Andersen next year and taking a flier on someone the following year. The only way Andersen should be moved is if there is a longer term option who can provide similar value at a lower price. Even retained at 50%, that is very unlikely to be Fleury

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's going to be 36 years old in November, And making $14 million for 2 more years doubt many teams will be interested in him. It's basically only going to be bottom feeding teams looking to acquire him anyways most of them are the ones seeking goaltending not your contending teams.
That's what I'm saying. If he wants to be a starter he probably has no choice but to go to a bad hockey team.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don’t see how Vegas won’t have to add a sweetener to take on a cap hit of 7M$ per year for 2 years.

If we have the cap space, the need for a solid 1-2 punch between the pipes and more assets for our rebuild, I don’t see a valid reason why we wouldn’t go for a deal like that.

We aren't putting that much into our goaltending between Cory and MAF. Its just not happening. And I wouldn't want it to. Taking on MAF is a huge chunk of the cap we can use for this year and next. Just a hard pass for me. Even if you buy out Cory, that's 14 million for three goalies, over 10 of which is going to backups. Limits what we can do elsewhere, especially if we are on an internal budget. So for this to make sense, Cory has to go the other way, and MAF has the better buy out structure, so that makes no sense for Vegas.

I don't know why the team wouldn't sign Greiss or make a run at Crawford by offering him a second year that Chicago has yet to give. And again, I'm not even sure if we buy out Cory, so we'll have to see where that ends up. Wouldn't be shocked at all if we keep him and give him a shot at the backup gig this year.

This is just a pass all around for me.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad