Rumor: Robin Lehner and VGK have a 5 year $25m contract with place. UPDATE: Lehner stated nothing finalized

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Stats over the past 3 seasons:

Goalie #1 GP: 170, Wins: 118, Sv%: .921, GAA: 2.53, SO: 17, Cap Hit: $9.5, Age: 26, Contract Ends: 32yr
Goalie #2 GP: 173, Wins: 78, Sv%: .910, GAA: 2.77, SO: 9, Cap Hit: $10.5, Age: 33, Contract Ends: 38yr

Do you want to re-evaluate or does your question still stand?
You don't understand hockey if you think a goaltender's play can be evaluate strictly by wins, sv% and GAA.
There's so much more to analyze than 3 statistics, that's why you're not a GM or a scout in the NHL.

Compare the rest of the team and it's style of play.
It's foolish to think all goalies face the same quality of shots, so much goes into play when evaluating the 30 shots a goalie faces each night.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
What would be Fleury be worth at 50%? Two second round picks?

NJ could really benefit here by acquiring Fleury at full cap hit and immediately flipping him at 50% cap hit.

I think they could get Vegas's first round pick from Vegas for taking the full cap hit. Then extract at least a couple of seconds from a team wanting Fleury at 50%.
No chance.
At 3.5 he still does not carry much value. He had very poor numbers this year and is 35.... and everyone knows they have to trade him. He can also nix a trade to several teams.
My guess is a buyout.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Right. There's definitely no difference between California taxing 13% of $25M and Nevada taxing 0%. Bet it doesn't even cross the minds of these players, or their agents.

You do understand that we live in a time where somebody like Joe Rogan literally picked up and moved his entire life to Texas so that he didn't have to pay state income taxes on a $100M Spotify deal, right?

But I'm sure athletes care much less about their money. :laugh:

You do understand the states that don’t have income tax make up for it with other taxes right?

of course you did!

Reactions: Lolonegoal

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You do understand the states that don’t have income tax make up for it with other taxes right?

of course you did!

You do understand that playing 41 games in a state without income tax is still a lot different then playing 41 games in a state with income tax right?

Nah, nevermind. You don't understand.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is going off of memory, but I think it's basically $2.5 million, $3.5 million and 2 years of $2 million. So not quite that bad, but it is still bad.

The problem is what team is going to trade for Fleury?

If Vegas retains at least 25% and more likely 50% there will be teams that will take him. Not sure which ones, but there are some, as there aren't a lot of top end goalies available.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Lehner's been dicked around with short term prove it type contracts for years now despite constantly performing.

Security was probably the most important thing to him so that got Vegas a discount on actual cap.

Not entirely true though. He was struggling before Long Island and now he has improved and is getting his first long term deal in a while.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You don't understand hockey if you think a goaltender's play can be evaluate strictly by wins, sv% and GAA.
There's so much more to analyze than 3 statistics, that's why you're not a GM or a scout in the NHL.

Compare the rest of the team and it's style of play.
It's foolish to think all goalies face the same quality of shots, so much goes into play when evaluating the 30 shots a goalie faces each night.
Alright, stats don’t do it for you, how about
2018 - Vis, Vezina Finalist , Price, nope
2019 - Vis, Vezina winner, Price, nope
2020 - Vis, Vezina Finalist - award not announced yet. Price, nope
So I might not know hockey because I use stats to prove my points, but I don’t have any say on who votes for the best goalie in the NHL, and these people seem to think that Vis is better right now too. But you’re probably right, I’m sure you understand this better than me or the 250 hockey people that vote on the major awards.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Alright, stats don’t do it for you, how about
2018 - Vis, Vezina Finalist , Price, nope
2019 - Vis, Vezina winner, Price, nope
2020 - Vis, Vezina Finalist - award not announced yet. Price, nope
So I might not know hockey because I use stats to prove my points, but I don’t have any say on who votes for the best goalie in the NHL, and these people seem to think that Vis is better right now too. But you’re probably right, I’m sure you understand this better than me or the 250 hockey people that vote on the major awards.

you prove my point, vezina is an award based on stats.

what about the 600 players that get polled every year? Who's the best goaltender according to them?

Put it this way:

if Vasi was the Habs starter and Price was on Tampa, do you think they would still get the same stats? Would Vasi still win the Vezina and Price be a .910% goalie? Be honest here. You know Price would have better stats and Vasi lesser stats. Evaluating goalies is so much more than just stats because not all shots against are of the same quality.

it's like the people who think Barzal regressed offensively after year one, while in reality he's getting better. It's just the system that changed, Barzal would get 90 points+ now on an offensive team. You can't juge players only looking at stats.

that's why professionnal scouts can find gems that you can't. They watch the players instead of looking at stats.

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
you prove my point, vezina is an award based on stats.

what about the 600 players that get polled every year? Who's the best goaltender according to them?

Put it this way:

if Vasi was the Habs starter and Price was on Tampa, do you think they would still get the same stats? Would Vasi still win the Vezina and Price be a .910% goalie? Be honest here. You know Price would have better stats and Vasi lesser stats. Evaluating goalies is so much more than just stats because not all shots against are of the same quality.

it's like the people who think Barzal regressed offensively after year one, while in reality he's getting better. It's just the system that changed, Barzal would get 90 points+ now on an offensive team. You can't juge players only looking at stats.

that's why professionnal scouts can find gems that you can't. They watch the players instead of looking at stats.
Alright, I’m sure in the rest of your life you’re able to admit when you’re wrong, this must just be your outlet. I’m off to find gems by looking at stats.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Alright, I’m sure in the rest of your life you’re able to admit when you’re wrong, this must just be your outlet. I’m off to find gems by looking at stats.
Sure, me and the 600 NHL players are wrong. You and the journalists voting for awards are right.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Sure, me and the 600 NHL players are wrong. You and the journalists voting for awards are right.
Wow, you spoke with 600 players about Vis contract vs Price contract. I am impressed. Go Gains! Don’t skip leg day

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Wow, you spoke with 600 players about Vis contract vs Price contract. I am impressed. Go Gains! Don’t skip leg day
We're talking about their play on ice, you used stats to say Vasi is better, I'm telling you he's not. Price was voted best NHL Goalie by the players every year since 2015.

regarding the last part of your comment: I'll leave the childish talk to you, I'm here to discuss hockey, not make personal attacks.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
We're talking about their play on ice, you used stats to say Vasi is better, I'm telling you he's not. Price was voted best NHL Goalie by the players every year since 2015.

regarding the last part of your comment: I'll leave the childish talk to you, I'm here to discuss hockey, not make personal attacks.
Don't skip leg day is a personal attach? oh boy weighted blanket time!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad