Rumor: Robin Lehner and VGK have a 5 year $25m contract with place. UPDATE: Lehner stated nothing finalized

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Ok . Hope they have plan for Fleury because i sincerely doubt Vegas can also afford a $7,000,000 backup for 2 more season who turns 36 in November.

Keep for one season and then trade next offseason

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Right. There's definitely no difference between California taxing 13% of $25M and Nevada taxing 0%. Bet it doesn't even cross the minds of these players, or their agents.

You do understand that we live in a time where somebody like Joe Rogan literally picked up and moved his entire life to Texas so that he didn't have to pay state income taxes on a $100M Spotify deal, right?

But I'm sure athletes care much less about their money. :laugh:
They do, but It’s a lot more complicated than that though. First, games are taxed where they are played, so LV tax rates applies to home games only. Second, your example uses the worst case state tax rate. Many US states that have teams are in the ~5% range. Third, bonuses complicate things and I’m not 100% certain how it works, but I know that even in high tax locales, players have lawyers and accountants who figure out ways to minimize tax burdens.

There definitely is a difference in taxes and some locations are worse than others, but it’s not as glaring as your example makes it out to be for a professional athlete.

Last edited:

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
3) Pens aren't getting a middle 1st if you can sign Holtby or Markstrom in the 5-5.5m range.

The 24ht pick is far from a middle first. And Markstrom most likely doesn't hit the market. So you can either sign 30 yr old holtby for 6 million for like 5 years. Or you trade a low first rounder for a 26 year old you can lock up in his prime.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
No way that works with Vegas cap situation . Lehner stays means Fleurys gotta go.

Statsny has one year left, Martinez has one year left and he's got real value after this postseason...

VGK projected to have $16.5m in cap space BEFORE a potential $5-5.5m AAV contract for Lehner. And that's for 2 defenseman and 3 forwards....2 of those forwards RFAs.

What cap situation? VGK are fine..

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Statsny has one year left, Martinez has one year left and he's got real value after this postseason...

VGK projected to have $16.5m in cap space BEFORE a potential $5-5.5m AAV contract for Lehner. And that's for 2 defenseman and 3 forwards....2 of those forwards RFAs.

Not sure where you got your numbers, but as it stands Vegas is slated to have a tad less than 5m in cap space. Thankfully they are in a pretty good spot because they have pretty much the whole roster already filled out. Just need to sign Lehner+Stephenson and a backup goalie. Either trading Fleury or buying him pretty much does it.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I’m sure it’s been mentioned but I wonder if him taking such a good deal is depending on if they get rid if Fleury or not.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The 24ht pick is far from a middle first. And Markstrom most likely doesn't hit the market. So you can either sign 30 yr old holtby for 6 million for like 5 years. Or you trade a low first rounder for a 26 year old you can lock up in his prime.
And the Pens ask from EDM was pick 14 which ended in a dial tone. Colorado first maybe. Pick 14ish no way now.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Not sure where you got your numbers, but as it stands Vegas is slated to have a tad less than 5m in cap space. Thankfully they are in a pretty good spot because they have pretty much the whole roster already filled out. Just need to sign Lehner+Stephenson and a backup goalie. Either trading Fleury or buying him pretty much does it.

Oh snap you're right! The $16m in cap space is for 21-22. My bad XD XD XD

In that case I guess Statsny or Martinez gotta get moved

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Oh snap you're right! The $16m in cap space is for 21-22. My bad XD XD XD

In that case I guess Statsny or Martinez gotta get moved

Zero chance they'll move Martinez. And there is no need to move any big money guys if they move Fleury. That gets them more than enough assuming the Lehner 5x5 rumors are true.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I’m sure it’s been mentioned but I wonder if him taking such a good deal is depending on if they get rid if Fleury or not.
Maybe in the era of flat cap and reduced games, it’s not a good deal, just a fair deal? If there was no covid and the cap was going up, I’d expect him to get more, but with many teams reducing payrolls, it will be interesting to see how all the contracts this year play out.

if a lot of it is in signing bonuses, he might be willing to take less AAV in this environment, knowing he’s got a sure thing.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Price only makes 1 million more than Vasi, I don't see you mentioning anything regarding Vasi?

Stats over the past 3 seasons:

Goalie #1 GP: 170, Wins: 118, Sv%: .921, GAA: 2.53, SO: 17, Cap Hit: $9.5, Age: 26, Contract Ends: 32yr
Goalie #2 GP: 173, Wins: 78, Sv%: .910, GAA: 2.77, SO: 9, Cap Hit: $10.5, Age: 33, Contract Ends: 38yr

Do you want to re-evaluate or does your question still stand?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Maybe in the era of flat cap and reduced games, it’s not a good deal, just a fair deal? If there was no covid and the cap was going up, I’d expect him to get more, but with many teams reducing payrolls, it will be interesting to see how all the contracts this year play out.

if a lot of it is in signing bonuses, he might be willing to take less AAV in this environment, knowing he’s got a sure thing.

That's a really good point. Until there's a guaranteed proper season coming up, Vegas probably won't commit to a signing bonus due in Oct.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
MAF @ 50% retention would be of interest to a few teams I would think.
What would be Fleury be worth at 50%? Two second round picks?

NJ could really benefit here by acquiring Fleury at full cap hit and immediately flipping him at 50% cap hit.

I think they could get Vegas's first round pick from Vegas for taking the full cap hit. Then extract at least a couple of seconds from a team wanting Fleury at 50%.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

If Vegas moves out MAF and signs Lehner to $5million cap, that leaves $2million to sign 4 players including a back up goalie, 2 rfa's and a replacement defender, I think there might be a bit more cap issues than you are alluding to.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada

He does seem like he has quite the ego though, and there already was a little bit of drama between them. I’m just speculating because of him getting annoyed about people saying a deal was done.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
And the Pens ask from EDM was pick 14 which ended in a dial tone. Colorado first maybe. Pick 14ish no way now.

I was replying directly about colorado and that is because Colorado doesn't have a 2nd. Edmonton isn't really a good partner. They dont have picks in the 2, 3 , 4th and barely have picks in 2021. It makes sense the pens ask for a first because they are looking for picks and prospects. I dont know what kind of prospects Edmonton would have to offer.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
True Detroit and Ottawa are the perfect fits for him because they can both absorb his full $7 million and not bat an eyelash. But it doesn't mean that he's going to waive for those teams. And New Jersey isn't any better.
You’re right. Why waive to go to a terrible team when you can just force a buyout and choose where you play next.... and get another pay cheque

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What would be Fleury be worth at 50%? Two second round picks?

NJ could really benefit here by acquiring Fleury at full cap hit and immediately flipping him at 50% cap hit.

I think they could get Vegas's first round pick from Vegas for taking the full cap hit. Then extract at least a couple of seconds from a team wanting Fleury at 50%.

If teams are offering two 2nds for MAF at 50%, then Vegas should do it themselves.

You’re right. Why waive to go to a terrible team when you can just force a buyout and choose where you play next.... and get another pay cheque

He waived the NMC on his last contract to go to a 1st year expansion team.

And 10 teams wouldn't force a buyout.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
If teams are offering two 2nds for MAF at 50%, then Vegas should do it themselves.

He waived the NMC on his last contract to go to a 1st year expansion team.

And 10 teams wouldn't force a buyout.
Waiving for Vegas is a little different than waiving for Detroit..... unless he really likes stray dogs

Reactions: Morrison

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This is going off of memory, but I think it's basically $2.5 million, $3.5 million and 2 years of $2 million. So not quite that bad, but it is still bad.

The problem is what team is going to trade for Fleury?
Better to retain 50% and be done with it in 2years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad