Robertson brothers: Jason vs Nick

Better NHL player?

• Total voters

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Who is going to end up the better NHL player? Both highly skilled players with a lot of potential - Jason much bigger with great reach and vision, Nick is smaller but is a more dynamic goal scorer.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I’m hoping Nick, I think he will become a Hornqvist type. Jason has some God given attribute so Nick can’t compete with and one of the most electric shots I’ve seen from an amateur live.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Since the question was phrased in such a way: It should be Nick.
He's just more productive.

He was more productive as an 18 year old, but Jason was more productive as a 16 and 17 year old in the OHL. Jason went on to lead the OHL in scoring as a 19 year old with 117 points in 62gp, a 1.89 p/gp vs Nick's 1.86 as an 18 year old. And he just wrapped up an excellent first year pro in the AHL, leading his team in scoring.

Given that it can take bigger guys a bit more time to dominate at the junior level, it's not really all that unexpected for Nick to have broken out a bit earlier than Jason.

Everything points to N.Robertson having the higher ceiling

I would think Jason's at significant size advantage would give him the higher ceiling, considering he's already proven the ability to produce offense at an elite level, and has made a very smooth transition to the pro game.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure how much you take this into account, but Nick recently scored the most goals this past season in the OHL.

He was also a OHL First Team All Star and the CHL Sportsman of the Year.

Reactions: Voight

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Give me Nick.

Both are excellent players, but what Nick did this year was truly unbelievable.

Nick Robertson Season Achievements
- One of only 3 players to go over a goal per game in the OHL since 2005 (Kane and Tavares being the other 2). He scored 55 goals, in 46 games which is a pace of 81 goals in 68 games. Also, the highest gpg in a season since Eric Lindros in 91.
- He led the league in goals by 3, while playing 16 less games then second place.
- CHL Sportsman of the year
- voted 1st for most dangerous in a goal area, 1st for best shot, 2nd for best stickhandler, 2nd for hardest worker, 2nd best shootout shooter 3rd for hardest shot in the OHL Coaches Poll
-Had 86 points in 46 games, the 5th highest ppg in the ohl.
-Was a ppg at the world juniors, and had a solid tourney.
-Was chosen on the leafs playoffs roster.
-Earned an ELC at training camp.

All at the age of 18. Him being 5 days away from the 2020 draft while being born 3 months prematurely makes him easier to compare to the 2020 draft players. In which he likely goes top 10.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Way to early to tell considering they are 18 and 20.

Nick in his 18yo season (1.2GPG, 1.86PPG) significantly outproduced Jasons 18yo season (0.7 GPG, 1.27PPG). So I would point to him having more potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm surprised this is close, and I say that as someone who thinks it's close between the brothers.

I'm a big fan of Jason. A lot of people criticize his skating, but I don't think he's much worse than an average skating. I've never seen this skating weakness people speak of.

But I still think you are talking about a higher ceiling player with Nick, and he's had another good season. I think it's hard not to go with him here.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was more productive as an 18 year old, but Jason was more productive as a 16 and 17 year old in the OHL. Jason went on to lead the OHL in scoring as a 19 year old with 117 points in 62gp, a 1.89 p/gp vs Nick's 1.86 as an 18 year old. And he just wrapped up an excellent first year pro in the AHL, leading his team in scoring.

Given that it can take bigger guys a bit more time to dominate at the junior level, it's not really all that unexpected for Nick to have broken out a bit earlier than Jason.

I would think Jason's at significant size advantage would give him the higher ceiling, considering he's already proven the ability to produce offense at an elite level, and has made a very smooth transition to the pro game.

I get what you are saying but I still take Nick as I think he is just going to be more productive.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm not sure how much you take this into account, but Nick recently scored the most goals this past season in the OHL.

He was also a OHL First Team All Star and the CHL Sportsman of the Year.

Go back one year and look at what all Jason did in Juniors. At worst, equally as dominant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad