Robertson brothers: Jason vs Nick

Better NHL player?

• Total voters

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I have both in my keeper league and have been watching their careers closely. I think Nick has higher potential

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I still prefer Nick, but this idea that Jason was a bad skater is repeated by everyone. I have watched his skating closely every time I’ve watched him play and I never saw a bad skater. I don’t know what I was missing. Maybe everyone else was missing something.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I like Jason, he reminds me of Mark Stone with how he sees the ice.

Funny that you speak of Stone here. Here's a stat :

For all forwards with at least 100 TOI at EV (even strength), Total Points/60 this season :

Sean Couturier : 1st
Jason Robertson : 2nd
Mark Stone : 3rd

Nick will be the flashier of the two, but Jason more impactful overall IMO.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: Leaves34

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Watched both for years in the OHL. I’m almost 100% sure that Nick will be the better player. Non-stop motor, elite shooter, more skilled with the puck, and will play PP and PK.

FYI Nick has 9 points in 10 games on a mediocre team in the AHL. He’s doing that as an undersized 19 year old with tons of room to improve. I think that’s what is most impressive. Anyone that’s watched him in the AHL thus far can see that he has so much more room to improve and yet he still finds a way to produce at a high level.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Watched both for years in the OHL. I’m almost 100% sure that Nick will be the better player. Non-stop motor, elite shooter, more skilled with the puck, and will play PP and PK.

FYI Nick has 9 points in 10 games on a mediocre team in the AHL. He’s doing that as an undersized 19 year old with tons of room to improve. I think that’s what is most impressive. Anyone that’s watched him in the AHL thus far can see that he has so much more room to improve and yet he still finds a way to produce at a high level.

Jason has 13 points in 16 games this year for Dallas.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Jason has 13 points in 16 games this year for Dallas.

Yes, I know. Assuming that’s why the thread was bumped. Why would one 4 point night completely change my opinion that is based on years of watching both?

We’ll see where Nick is in 2 years when he’s at the same age as Jason now.

Reactions: hockeeyyy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I enjoyed watching Jason more in the OHL but I think long term Jason will have the better career.

epki4zax15951.jpg

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Saying this as if Jason isn't an elite shooter as well and playing at a disadvantage (his skating and the team struggles to score most nights) :sarcasm: and he's producing too. Only reason he's just now hitting this level is skating concerns. Being undersized is hardly a disadvantage anymore. I also think Jason is the smarter player, maybe less flashy, but smarter. Nick very well end up better though, and playing in Toronto he will put up more points and get more media attention. So who knows, but at least it appears both brothers will be great players in this league. Only reason Robertson gets any attention though is because he's Nick's brother, which is annoying

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I don't think Nick will ever be a regular NHLer, but Jason's pretty good already.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I’d love to hear why?

Genuinely curious as I have gotten the opposite vibe - looks like a sure fire NHLer to me.
Too small, too slow, just an unfortunate combination. He has the hands that could make him money in Europe though, where the game is slower and there is more space.

I could be wrong. But a lot of guys that looked good in junior, with that kind of size and skating, did not manage to bring the same game against pros.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Too small, too slow, just an unfortunate combination. He has the hands that could make him money in Europe though, where the game is slower and there is more space.

I could be wrong. But a lot of guys that looked good in junior, with that kind of size and skating, did not manage to bring the same game against pros.

You’ll be wrong on this, and very wrong. Likely confirmed within the year. Two tops.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017

He's 19 and scored a play-in goal and has 9 points in 10 games in the AHL when he wouldn't even be eligible to play if not for Covid..

Reactions: Rob Brown

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He's 19 and scored a play-in goal and has 9 points in 10 games in the AHL when he wouldn't even be eligible to play if not for Covid..
Yeah, AHL seems like a place he'd do well in. And he'll his chances to play in the NHL, too.

But if you think which one of the two is more likely to play 400 NHL games, it's obviously Jason.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol the leafs bias is comical
"Hands down" better player, lmao
The future of such young NHL prospects, in their rookie season, have been proven time and time again to be an enigma
It's near impossible to tell who will have the better NHL career, both are so offensively talented, and both have won a number of awards in junior
We just saw Jason tie the franchise record for assists by a rookie in a game, at 4, and he's quietly 2nd in points per game amongnst rookies

I didn't vote, for the stated reason, and because imo that success of the prospect will be directly related to the success of the team. Toronto is a top tier team, but Dallas made it the SCF last year, and it was no fluke. Some of the best defensive hockey I've ever seen

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Nick hands down, much more dynamic.

Jason probably ends up being a 50 points player though.
How does he "end" up being a 50 point player eventually, when he's literally on track to better than that in his rookie season? 62 point season pace in a max 77 games played. Dumb comment.

Reactions: JAVO16

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How does he "end" up being a 50 point player eventually, when he's literally on track to better than that in his rookie season? 62 point season pace in a max 77 games played. Dumb comment.

Eh, we all know that 16 games is a good measure of a 1000 games career, right?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
lol the leafs bias is comical
"Hands down" better player, lmao
The future of such young NHL prospects, in their rookie season, have been proven time and time again to be an enigma
It's near impossible to tell who will have the better NHL career, both are so offensively talented, and both have won a number of awards in junior
We just saw Jason tie the franchise record for assists by a rookie in a game, at 4, and he's quietly 2nd in points per game amongnst rookies

I didn't vote, for the stated reason, and because imo that success of the prospect will be directly related to the success of the team. Toronto is a top tier team, but Dallas made it the SCF last year, and it was no fluke. Some of the best defensive hockey I've ever seen

I chose Jason just now for this poll but at the time it was made, it isn't ridiculous to see why people were so high on Nick. Nick made it to the NHL in his D+1 year with a cup of tea in the playin round and was on slate to crack the lineup this year before his injury derailed him. Jason is 2 years older and took a more traditional route to the NHL with a season in the AHL last year with a cup of tea with the big club. Jason didn't get into any playoff games however and one of the biggest reasons he's on the big club today is because the Stars had experienced so many injuries. If the Stars were a healthy team this year, they wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as they have been and Roberston probably doesn't get his shot to show how good he is and is still a highly regarded prospect but an unknown NHL commodity.

I don't think it's fair to pin the results of this thread on "Leafs bias" because if we've seen anything so far on this site, there's 10x more anti-Leafs bias than there is Leafs bias. Especially on the polls section of this site. Leafs players routinely get dragged through the mud for the new hotshot prospect that's having a good week or a good month.

This is actually a very good poll between the 2 brothers. I take Jason right now because he's shown that he has game and he's 6'2. But for all we know, Nick might come out firing on all cylinders next year and become a 30 G 60 P guy himself at age 20 (a year younger than where Jason is). It's completely possible to see that scenario play out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad