NBA Robert Sarver in deep shit

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yea, NBA blacklisting Daryl Mo-

Oh, wait a minute.

Only reason NBA forced Sterling to sell was because in a league with majority being black players, that situation was absolutely untenable. No one was going to play for him.

Can't say the same for Sarver. But he does own WNBA franchise as well.

League wanted him out long before that, lucky for them that was the perfect way to do so. Also helped that Ballmer was dying to own a sports team and was willing to pay whatever price.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
The investigation is still ongoing.
yeah and spoiler: nothing is going to happen to him

even suns fans are resigned to this if you read suns message boards

they pretty much say that it's not worth firing an owner over. I think I said before that RSL and the NWSL Utah team (can't remember the name), they found out he was racist and doing bad shit and so he was forced to sell, but being forced to sell like that is very rare. If Sarver does sell I will be very surprised. He's entrenched himself deep into the organization. I personally know of shitty owners here (one for the NFL team in particular) who have done shitty stuff and haven't faced anything other than show-cause "suspensions".

Just saying don't get your hopes up that he's selling. There are many people like him, sad to say.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If any of it had serious merit, he would have been forced to sell by now.

Jerry Richardson was accused of being racist and on the same day announced he would sell the team at seasons end.
Ol Jerry Richardson chose to sell on his own. Too old to deal with the backlash.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If any of it had serious merit, he would have been forced to sell by now.

Jerry Richardson was accused of being racist and on the same day announced he would sell the team at seasons end.

If I recall, Richardson's conduct was more severe than Sarver's here (what's alleged against Sarver seems to be a mixture of really clumsy bantering and genuinely offensive/abusive conduct) and like the previous poster said, agreeing to a sale that quick makes it w0rth at least wondering how much motivation Richardson had to fight the allegations (some which he had already settled with money). At any rate, it's still irrelevant - the NBA is conducting an investigations. That takes more than a couple of weeks. So, your first sentence really doesn't make sense. Nothing is going to happen until the investigation is over, no matter how serious the allegations may have been. The NBA made a call, and they're not the NFL.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
yeah and spoiler: nothing is going to happen to him

even suns fans are resigned to this if you read suns message boards

they pretty much say that it's not worth firing an owner over. I think I said before that RSL and the NWSL Utah team (can't remember the name), they found out he was racist and doing bad shit and so he was forced to sell, but being forced to sell like that is very rare. If Sarver does sell I will be very surprised. He's entrenched himself deep into the organization. I personally know of shitty owners here (one for the NFL team in particular) who have done shitty stuff and haven't faced anything other than show-cause "suspensions".

Just saying don't get your hopes up that he's selling. There are many people like him, sad to say.

Suns fans don't decide what happens to Sarver, so I'm not sure what point you think you're making. Again, maybe nothing happens to Sarver. I wouldn't be surprised. But the reasoning behind it being pushed forward in these last couple of posts really don't make sense.

Sep 19, 2008
Suns fans don't decide what happens to Sarver, so I'm not sure what point you think you're making. Again, maybe nothing happens to Sarver. I wouldn't be surprised. But the reasoning behind it being pushed forward in these last couple of posts really don't make sense.
What has he done personally to be stripped of ownership? Being a jerk? Plenty of people are jerks.

Again let's be clear Sarver is a jerk and the world would be better off without him as the owner. But he's also a powerful rich man. They don't get ousted easily. :laugh:

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I don't know how it would work legally, but the phone call was so damning that I can't imagine the NHL not trying to actively force a sell. Or any other major sports league for that matter.

The NBA being 70+% black had a huge effect on the Sterling departure. But I gues Bettman would do everything possible to save image as the league is still trying to market to minorities.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The NBA being 70+% black had a huge effect on the Sterling departure. But I gues Bettman would do everything possible to save image as the league is still trying to market to minorities.

I think openly asking somebody not to bring black folks to your games would be career shattering no matter what league it was. Even something as white as the NHL couldn't let that slide.

Reactions: Vamos Rafa

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Would Sterling have been forced out as an NHL owner?

Even tho recording his call was illegal, he said what he said. No way to get out of that.

Obviously, his own players saying they wouldn't play for the team anymore caused a mess, but I think after openly racist comments like that you would have no choice.

Sep 19, 2008
your reminder that STILL nothing has happened to him :laugh:

A Suns employee even quit a few days ago and it was big news on ESPN because of how long she had worked there and what she had to say

And the NBA's "investigation" into this "rogue governor" continues. Adam Silver swiftly kicked Sterling out which was the best thing he has done as commish. It was also the first; he hasn't done shit since. Drag your feet Adam

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Even tho recording his call was illegal, he said what he said. No way to get out of that.

Obviously, his own players saying they wouldn't play for the team anymore caused a mess, but I think after openly racist comments like that you would have no choice.
Not to mention Sterling made a lot of money in the sale.

Sep 19, 2008
The NBA is supposed to be the "Most tolerant" of the leagues (except when it comes to China! But don't mention China!) and they only gave Sarver a slap on the wrist. This basically says, yeah the ESPN story was true, you're a jerk to people, and you're suspended for a year. It really carries no weight.

If they want to really send a message about how woke they are they would have forced him to sell. They never did. It's all about business. So I was right on that. I'm surprised they wanted to punish him though, but I'm fine with it.

The punishment is a joke.
Sarver is rich. He can afford a year long vacation.

It's just like the NFL. They said Snyder did bad shit and he was forced to leave the team for a year. These rich folks aren't gonna sell willingly (and rarely do)

Reactions: PhillyWings

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The NBA is supposed to be the "Most tolerant" of the leagues (except when it comes to China! But don't mention China!) and they only gave Sarver a slap on the wrist. This basically says, yeah the ESPN story was true, you're a jerk to people, and you're suspended for a year. It really carries no weight.

If they want to really send a message about how woke they are they would have forced him to sell. They never did. It's all about business. So I was right on that. I'm surprised they wanted to punish him though, but I'm fine with it.

Sarver is rich. He can afford a year long vacation.

It's just like the NFL. They said Snyder did bad shit and he was forced to leave the team for a year. These rich folks aren't gonna sell willingly (and rarely do)
Rich people always get away with it. This will never change.

Not because of power and influence, but because most everyone can be bought.

Reactions: Voight
Sep 19, 2008
Rich people always get away with it. This will never change.

Not because of power and influence, but because most everyone can be bought.

1663095698545.png

1663095675329.png

@Fixed to Ruin
@hangman005

Attachments

• 1663095631707.png
    1663095631707.png
    435.1 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad