NBA Robert Sarver in deep shit

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Always a good sign when you're pre-emptively releasing statements

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
"The level of misogyny and racism is beyond the pale," one Suns co-owner said about Sarver. "It's embarrassing as an owner."

Said a former Suns basketball executive: "There's literally nothing you could tell me about him from a misogynistic or race standpoint that would surprise me."

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It was far from the first time members of the coaching staff felt like Sarver had marginalized them. Watson remembers Sarver drawing up plays that didn't exist in the locker room. "He was asking [players] to set up a pick-and-roll in the middle of the paint. How is that even possible with three seconds and no spacing?"
lol

Sep 19, 2008
You want to sack him over that?

And yes I did read the article. Rich people are assholes. Breaking news.

Reactions: Voight

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You want to sack him over that?

And yes I did read the article. Rich people are assholes. Breaking news.

Uh, the N-word stuff and the issues with women definitely warrants it. I think a couple were just clumsy bantering (such as the one with Blake Griffin's older brother) but there's definitely enough in there where he crossed a major line that would deserve major consequences. Also threatening to fire your coach if they don't fire their agent is unacceptable.

'Contract talks eventually led Bledsoe's Klutch Sports agent, Rich Paul, to communicate directly with Sarver -- the Suns owner didn't want to extend Bledsoe's contract in part due to concerns about Bledsoe's durability, plus concerns that the team had performed poorly with him as the starting point guard, according to sources at the time. Paul responded to Sarver's remarks by saying that he knew basketball and that they "weren't talking about tennis," Sarver's childhood sport.
Sarver erupted at the dig, according to two people with knowledge of the interaction, telling Paul he was going to fire Watson as the team's head coach if Watson didn't sever ties with Klutch, which had been representing Watson, within 10 days - just after the start of the season.
Watson said that Sarver's ultimatum quickly reached him. He asked Sarver if he was serious.
"Yeah, I will f---ing fire you," Sarver told Watson. "You have 10 days to think about it. Don't wait too long."
Watson said he explained to Sarver the optics of a white owner asking a Black coach to fire an agency led by a Black agent, Paul.'

"Yeah, I understand what race you two are," Sarver replied, according to Watson. "So I'm asking you, How bad do you want your job?"

This is f***ing insane.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He may as well go full heel at this point...

Have a press conference... quote Russell Westbrook about "N-words trippin'"... put on a MAGA hat... give the finger to everyone attending the presser... and then walk away from the podium to reveal you were naked from the waist down

Sep 19, 2008
Uh, the N-word stuff and the issues with women definitely warrants it. I think a couple were just clumsy bantering (such as the one with Blake Griffin's older brother) but there's definitely enough in there where he crossed a major line that would deserve major consequences. Also threatening to fire your coach if they don't fire their agent is unacceptable.

'Contract talks eventually led Bledsoe's Klutch Sports agent, Rich Paul, to communicate directly with Sarver -- the Suns owner didn't want to extend Bledsoe's contract in part due to concerns about Bledsoe's durability, plus concerns that the team had performed poorly with him as the starting point guard, according to sources at the time. Paul responded to Sarver's remarks by saying that he knew basketball and that they "weren't talking about tennis," Sarver's childhood sport.
Sarver erupted at the dig, according to two people with knowledge of the interaction, telling Paul he was going to fire Watson as the team's head coach if Watson didn't sever ties with Klutch, which had been representing Watson, within 10 days - just after the start of the season.
Watson said that Sarver's ultimatum quickly reached him. He asked Sarver if he was serious.
"Yeah, I will f---ing fire you," Sarver told Watson. "You have 10 days to think about it. Don't wait too long."
Watson said he explained to Sarver the optics of a white owner asking a Black coach to fire an agency led by a Black agent, Paul.'

"Yeah, I understand what race you two are," Sarver replied, according to Watson. "So I'm asking you, How bad do you want your job?"

This is f***ing insane.
I get what you're saying but there are no tapes or recordings of this. They got Donald because there was a viral recording of him complaining.

This is on par with other nfl owners and their bad work environments. It's bad to see but certainly not worth forcing someone to sell a team over. Owners have inflated egos and are cocky people. This isn't trend setting news

Reactions: Voight
Sep 19, 2008
You literally had an out of touch Texans owner claim that the "Inmates were running the asylum" in reference to players protesting and nothing happened to him :laugh:

I don't think people understand how hard it is to get an owner to quit in today's world. 1) most owners are pretty egotistical jerks and many work environments in sports are pretty shoddy and male dominated. 2) most owners are content to enable other owners to live off their luxurious life style (in NFL there is revenue sharing so every owner gets a piece of the pie meaning it's very hard to force someone to stop receiving what amounts to free money every year)

The only two examples were Donald Sterling who did something so egregious on recording he couldn't stay and Jerry Richardson. If Silver sacks him fine but I'm not holding my breath

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Kerr stood up for him. If they do force him to sell the team, he will only get about $3 billion out of it...

Sep 19, 2008
It's 11/28 and still nothing has happened to him :laugh:

That being said this isn't as bad as the NFL. Owners in the NBA actually sell. I still stand by my comments that nothing is going to happen to him. If you think this is 'bad" go see what happens in a normal sports work environment run by alpha males.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Good thing he didn't say anything bad about China, otherwise he would have been forced to sell the team by now.
Yea, NBA blacklisting Daryl Mo-

Oh, wait a minute.

Only reason NBA forced Sterling to sell was because in a league with majority being black players, that situation was absolutely untenable. No one was going to play for him.

Can't say the same for Sarver. But he does own WNBA franchise as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00