Robbed while playing

Basher

You think us guys would learn after time...the gym or rink is an awful place to leave things unattended.

Last year I left my wallet in my pants in a locker (unlocked, of course) at the gym. I had just gotten a paycheck and my roommates rent check for $500, all stolen. Luckily we got everything cancelled, but I lost all my cards and such and it was such a hassle. Also, lost my college ID that I had since the first day of college, when I had my mohawk - I was bummed out, for sentimental reasons as well.

mistermighty

Aug 8, 2009
Simple Steps to Prevent Theft

I've been playing rec hockey for many years - and have been lucky enough to only been robbed once. Once our team started to do this, we never got robbed again:

Get a team "wallet bag".

This is a small bag where players can deposit their wallets, cell phones/ipods and car keys. This bag comes to the bench. It should preferably have a zipper so that it doesn't spill. We also keep a spare key to the dressing room padlock in here.

Attach the key to the padlock for the dressing room with a carabiner or something. (yes we lock both the dressing room door AND take a wallet bag to the bench).

Don't rely on the padlock on the dressing room door - the wallet bag has saved all our wallets at least 3 times in the last 5 years. (the padlock was forced, or the joining door between 2 rooms was forced).

Even with drop-in hockey, still works wonders.

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
Wow, I've never thought about this until I read this thread. I've only been playing for a few years, but it's never even crossed my mind. I don't play drop-in, we've an hour once a week and then games once a week, but there's drop-in right after our practice ice, so there's other guys there with us all the time.

You guys are talking about locks getting forced and stuff, we don't even close the door! I guess we know most of the staff pretty well and some of them actually play in the league too and are on good terms with just about everybody in the league for the most part, so that's probably part of it.

I'm not really in a hockey hotbed though, so it's not like there's a ton of turnover, we see pretty much the same guys all the time, as well. That probably helps.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
One rink I play regularly at has suffered quite a few B&E's/thefts.

One nite after a game I put my stuff in the back of my truck, and then went back inside for a drink - when I got home, my stuff was gone, all of it (goalie equipment).

Another time my truck was broken into and a cellphone was stolen.

But the crappiest one I've heard of (didn't happen to me, thankfully) was when a dressing room got broken into and the thieves not only took all the wallets, they took most of the clothes too! So these poor guys had to go home in their equipment, in the middle of winter.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I honestly haven't played since I was robbed, aka two weeks before July 7.

I was starting to get into golf, and I've been going out and have played 4 rounds since then, because I'm trying to take advantage of cold weather and other outdoor stuff (softball too). But me being robbed kinda pushed me over the edge to just drop hockey until the cold comes back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad