Robbed while playing

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Anyone ever been robbed while playing hockey?

A few years ago someone went into my wallet and stole $25 cash while I was playing open hockey. Ever since then I never bring my wallet into the rink, if I'm playing hockey I bring the cash and my car keys. Two weeks ago I went to play and was running late, I rushed in and knew I had my wallet but whatever, odds of it happening were slim, came back to find my wallet in my left pocket....I NEVER put it there, always in my right pocket. Low and behold, $60 cash missing. Now I'm watching my credit cards/debit cards to make sure they're not using that for online purchases too.

Anyone else ever have problems with this? Am I weird for thinking locker rooms should have LOCKERS in them? What's the most that's ever been taken? Vent with me.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I had my MP3 stolen not too long ago while I was playing. I was pretty pissed at that.

hkyplayer03

May 2, 2009
Anyone ever been robbed while playing hockey?

A few years ago someone went into my wallet and stole $25 cash while I was playing open hockey. Ever since then I never bring my wallet into the rink, if I'm playing hockey I bring the cash and my car keys. Two weeks ago I went to play and was running late, I rushed in and knew I had my wallet but whatever, odds of it happening were slim, came back to find my wallet in my left pocket....I NEVER put it there, always in my right pocket. Low and behold, $60 cash missing. Now I'm watching my credit cards/debit cards to make sure they're not using that for online purchases too.

Anyone else ever have problems with this? Am I weird for thinking locker rooms should have LOCKERS in them? What's the most that's ever been taken? Vent with me.

Man that sucks. How about putting a small combo lock on your hockey bag? Just like the one's used for airport bags ,lock two zippers together.

I'd also call in to bank customer service and get new credit and debit cards. Not worth the worry.

Last edited:

Dan Cloutier

Aug 12, 2008
Someone stole my bag off of my drive way while it was airing out AND my entire family and I were home. I have a long drive way so I never figured I would have to worry about it. So about 20 minutes before the team bus was going to leave I go outside to load up my truck and drive over to the school. Bags gone.

I spent like 15 minutes driving around looking for my bag thinkning maybe someone dumped it in a dumpster or something. Then like 5 minutes before the bus was supposed to leave my friend calls me and tells me somebody dropped my bag of at the highschool. Apparently someone stole it and ran it over with their car and left it in the middle of the road. Luckily somebody found it and since it has my name and my schools name on the side they dropped it off.

My bag was totally shredded and my helmet snapped in half. My shoulder pads and girdle had road burns all over them, but otherwise everything else was ok including my skates. My friend who was hurt let me use his helmet that night and I ended up scoring the gwg, so it didnt turn out too bad after all.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Someone stole my bag off of my drive way while it was airing out AND my entire family and I were home. I have a long drive way so I never figured I would have to worry about it. So about 20 minutes before the team bus was going to leave I go outside to load up my truck and drive over to the school. Bags gone.

I spent like 15 minutes driving around looking for my bag thinkning maybe someone dumped it in a dumpster or something. Then like 5 minutes before the bus was supposed to leave my friend calls me and tells me somebody dropped my bag of at the highschool. Apparently someone stole it and ran it over with their car and left it in the middle of the road. Luckily somebody found it and since it has my name and my schools name on the side they dropped it off.

My bag was totally shredded and my helmet snapped in half. My shoulder pads and girdle had road burns all over them, but otherwise everything else was ok including my skates. My friend who was hurt let me use his helmet that night and I ended up scoring the gwg, so it didnt turn out too bad after all.

That has to be the most random thing in the world. Who drives by a bag with somebody's hockey equipment and is possessed to steal it for the sake of running it over?? :shakehead

I haven't had money stolen from me at the rink before, but there was a guy in my grade 10 gym class that would steal cash from people's wallets. I don't usually take my full gear with me to open ice sessions. My shinny pants have pockets in them, so I just wear those to the rink and keep my cell phone, keys, and wallet with me.

Remember... when in doubt, just toss your clothes and shoes into your hockey bag (in as smelly as it may be... NEVER dress up to go to the rink~!) and bring your bag out to the bench. *If* somebody still decides to rummage through your bag, you should have enough time to see them and wire a puck at their head.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I was a rink rat at my local roller facility several years ago. My friends and I ran the leagues there, so we could literally play all night or whenever there were no scheduled games going on. Long story short, we were having a late night practice/open session and someone came in and robbed the rooms. It was especially painful for me because I had just gotten home from vacation and had a pretty good wad of cash in my wallet (about $250). I was still in college at this point so that represented a good portion of my net worth at the time, so I was supremely bummed out.

This story had a happy ending though. Given our rink rat status (a bunch of worked for the rink, the rest of us played in leagues there at least 2 nights a week), the owner decided to make a gesture and reimburse everyone. He didn't even balk when I told him how much money I had on me (everyone else only lost $20-$40). Awesome guy. I bought him a nice bottle of wine as a thank you.

Moral of the story. Leave your wallet at home (I'm more concerned about leaving it in the car at some place I play). People are *******s.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I have heard this happen to friends before, but I have never personally had this happen. My car has keyless entry, so the cellphone, keys, and wallet all get hidden and locked in the car, minus whatever cash I need for the pickup game/league.

For pickup games, sometimes its a good idea to take a small duffel bag on the bench. In the past, we just had someone bring a duffel bag and everyone put their keys/wallets/phones/whatever else they wanted in the bag, and we brought it on the corresponding bench for the game. It seemed to work pretty well and there were always a few guys on the bench to keep an eye on things if need be.

densetsu

A lot of the rinks in my area have wallet lockers that are in a high-visibility area, like beside the front desk or even right on the bench. Well worth the 25 cents to lock up your stuff for peace of mind. Pretty much my only option when I'm playing drop-in hockey.

In league play, we usually just toss all our valuables in a helmet or mask bag and take it out to the bench.

I've never been ripped off at the rink, but have been at the gym. They just took the cash and ditched the wallet in the locker room. Didn't really care too much about the cash ($40), more all the hoops you have to go through to cancel all your credit / debit cards and then get new ones. Now I use wallet lockers religiously.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
in 2000 or 2001 I remember bringing $50 with me to a Skate & Shoot (shinny/pick up hockey whatever you call it in your area) to pick up NHL 2000 or 2001 after the skate. came back in the locker room, and the money was gone. I snuck into the next 10 S&S's and called it even. ($5 per skate at the time) never bring my wallet anymore

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
in 2000 or 2001 I remember bringing $50 with me to a Skate & Shoot (shinny/pick up hockey whatever you call it in your area) to pick up NHL 2000 or 2001 after the skate. came back in the locker room, and the money was gone. I snuck into the next 10 S&S's and called it even. ($5 per skate at the time) never bring my wallet anymore

if this was at ESL in rochester, it was probabably Robcap who took it..

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
No locks on the change room doors ?

Ya I was wondering that too. Don't you guys have locks? In his case it makes sense because he said it was a late night session so I don't think he expected anyone to be there. But for the rest of you I know when I play with my team I bring my Ipod and Phone but our coach always locks the room before the game starts, I guess it would be different for drop in but for the leauge players don't you lock the door?

And for Stick n Puck I just put my phone in my pocket and zip it up

Traktor*

A couple years back I was playing shinny and went to the dressing room to fill up my water bottle but when I walked into the dressing room there was a guy in there going through my pockets. He was caught red-handed with my car keys, credit cards and my drivers license. He tried to be all apologetic about it but I raged and ****ed him up pretty good.

The kid was only around 13-14 years old but got ****-kicked nonetheless.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
In the 1980s I had $5 stolen which today would probably be like $15 stolen haha.

Oh anyway ... since then I leave everything in the car glove box ... wallet, money, whatever.

I don't even leave my spare backup stick in the lockeroom when i am playing, I bring it on the bench.

One would love to able to trust people but sadly you cannot.

I played outdoors once with an Amish family where they wore the bonnets and long dresses, Pops had that Amish beard thing. That was the first time I could honestly say that i could leave $2,000 in an empty carry bag at that outdoor rink and i know if one of those people found it they would say "mister, I found your money here for you".

These people were so polite and completely different in manners from everyday folk I really was thrown back by it for a few days. I just kept thinking how great this world would be if everyone were that nice to one another.

It really felt like I was in a different time period and that natural guard against bad things happening wasn't there for that little spell.

Anyway .... Amish people love hockey too and they played well. Pops had old 1970s metal tube skates and knew how to use them.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
I leave everything but my keys in my car. Then I usually hide my keys in a strange place. And besides, people don't have the balls to steal a car if they are just looking for $10 in wallets.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
No locks on the change room doors ?

They were broken. They also brought burglary tools that the police found. Someone reported a suspicious looking man walking around the locker room, they took us off the ice to see if anything was missing and my wallet was taken. There was 3 people in on it, the one they caught was a registered sex offender from Oakland on parole. Pillar of society.

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
2-3 weeks ago someone went into my team's locker room and stole wallets.

Serious? At Sharks Ice? I don't bring my phone or wallet in with me because I have heard that this **** happens from time to time.

A guy on my roller team who plays semi pro or something was at a tourney in Vegas and someone broke into their locker room and took all their wallets. No hotel room so all their cash was with them.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Used to play at a rink in Berkeley, CA. back in High School. Our whole team got their bags gone through during a game. From then on every time we played there we would have to take our bags to the bench with us.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
I played in a tourney in Vegas and i had a brand new pair of Bauer gloves in my bag that i was still breaking in and wasn't using for game play quiet yet and someone snaked them while i was playing but i think thats the the only thing that was ever stolen form me in 17 years or so of playing

qwertysac

Nov 14, 2008
Montreal, Qc
Even though we put locks on the doors, I always leave my stuff in the car too. Sometimes people who are in the room with you and you're playing with can't even be trusted.

Worst i've seen was 2 years ago, they broke the lock took 1 hockey bag and put all the wallets, cellphones and valuable things in there and left.

Which sucks for everyone... but i was ok, since i don't bring anything into the rink. But the reason this time pissed me off is that on top of stealing everything, they took another hockey bag and filled it with everyones clothes and tossed it into the shower.

All our clothes were soaked. It was the middle of winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad