Robbed while playing

densetsu

And you are aware thieves break into houses right? If you are gonna take it there might aswell go all the way.

I don't have any stats to back me up, but I hear of car break-ins a lot more than house break-ins. Also, a lot of people share a house with family or roommates, who if home would probably deter would-be home burglars.

Also, if you're locking your valuable in your cars and leaving your keys in the locker room, you're rolling the dice on that one. Some thieves just take cash and run, but some are thorough and use the keys to clean out the vehicles as well. I've had this happen to more than a few friends.

Regardless, life is a *****. Pretty sad we have to worry about more and more petty crimes like this. Hell, the cleaning staff in our office building has stolen laptops, iPods, and hams (yes, a Christmas ham) from our office. What kind of world is it that we can't leave a Christmas ham in the kitchen of a locked-down office on the 11th floor?

GuitarAwesome

Feb 18, 2009
Yup, last year, week before Christmas, I hit some shinny hockey with about 80 bucks cash in my wallet(was goin shopping for presents after). Came back, it was gone. THey didn't take my phone, or my ipod, or my extra gloves, or my credit cards or anything, just the cash, so that was nice at least. So yeah, now I don't take more than 10 bucks. It's a good idea.

bmundus

Jul 4, 2009
seattle, wa
www.sportscity.com
many years ago in high school. our goalie had between $200-300 cash stolen. i dont know why he had that much cash on him but he did. my theroy is that it is kids working at the rink. we had our door locked and the coach had the key so...
i now play at oak-town ice and i feel safer leaving my wallet in the car then at the rink. i have never seen one person not bring there bag out with them.
we need some dummy bags with those paint bombs that banks use to catch robbers.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
Soloutin to all this..

Team Coach or Captain or a trustworthy teammate, brings a bag and you all put your wallets & valubales in it, and put names on tape on each wallet so you know whos is whos, then you bring it to the bench with you.. ? =D

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This is just an observation and I don't really mean anything by it, but is it just me or is there a disproportionate amount of US hockey players posting here compared to Canadians?

In my two years playing, in about 8 arena's in Calgary and 2 in Vancouver, while you certainly get warned about it I've never had a problem or known anyone that has. There's several factors here:

1. Dressing rooms are usually in clear view of the ice rink, making it hard for someone to sneak into your change room.
2. Most arena's I played at in Calgary locks are provided by the arena. In Vancouver for team play you're expected to bring your own lock, for shinny we all bring our bags to the bench.
3. You just don't get the sense that juvenile delinquents are roaming the arena looking to steal your stuff.

So it makes me wonder if a) Americans have a higher petty urban crime rate or b) you guys are amateurs at keeping your stuff safe at the rink and/or building secure arena's?

densetsu

1. Dressing rooms are usually in clear view of the ice rink, making it hard for someone to sneak into your change room.

In Edmonton, that's the exception, not the norm, at least in my experiences. Most of the time, there's at least one door to the locker room that you can't see. Some rinks you can't see any doors at all.

2. Most arena's I played at in Calgary locks are provided by the arena. In Vancouver for team play you're expected to bring your own lock, for shinny we all bring our bags to the bench.

Rinks in Edmonton are like Calgary... the rink provides a padlock or there's a deadbolt. Which, of course, is bad... putting a lot of trust in a couple guys sitting in the office with all the locker room keys...

3. You just don't get the sense that juvenile delinquents are roaming the arena looking to steal your stuff.

Senses can be deceiving, and once you've had your things stolen your perception changes drastically. Also, it's not always kids rummaging through locker rooms...

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
We lock up our room with a lock and key when we play. And We play at 7:30 AM!

Even when I was in High School we had our room locked from the bathroom in the back and the front door. The key was held by the president of the club.

member 51464

Wow, I've never played hockey or anything, but this all surprises me. I always figured "the rink" was like a special place....I dunno

mooseOAK*

Wow, I've never played hockey or anything, but this all surprises me. I always figured "the rink" was like a special place....I dunno

When our dressing room got ripped off it was by the people who worked there and not the players.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
This is just an observation and I don't really mean anything by it, but is it just me or is there a disproportionate amount of US hockey players posting here compared to Canadians?

In my two years playing, in about 8 arena's in Calgary and 2 in Vancouver, while you certainly get warned about it I've never had a problem or known anyone that has. There's several factors here:

So it makes me wonder if a) Americans have a higher petty urban crime rate or b) you guys are amateurs at keeping your stuff safe at the rink and/or building secure arena's?
What a uhhhh....great post? *sarcasm*

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com

Yeah we have locks on our lockerooms but we have keys because we are too stupid being American and all to remember a combination.

We even have indoor toilets .... you arrogant bigoted mutt.:rant:

I'm so glad you "didn't mean anything by it". :p: yeah we're all too stupid to keep our stuff safe .... I am so glad your being Canadian gives you such a great advantage in these matters.

What a Yutz.:laugh:

Alex28*

Oh yeah definitely. Couple of months ago playing in Nizhny Novgorod with my buddies and their rec team, one friend starts feeling sick, goes back to the locker room early, sees a guy on all fours prowling through bags with his bag open and everything thrown out, including his wallet on the floor, empty and opened. Guy gets started, turns around and starts getting up, my friend two hands him across the face, swinging downward with his stick just as he's getting up. Obliterated the guy's nose, broke his jaw and his left eye was at 50% last time I heard of him since he got clipped there as well. Team bought the friend a beer later that night.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah we have locks on our lockerooms but we have keys because we are too stupid being American and all to remember a combination.

We even have indoor toilets .... you arrogant bigoted mutt.:rant:

I'm so glad you "didn't mean anything by it". :p: yeah we're all too stupid to keep our stuff safe .... I am so glad your being Canadian gives you such a great advantage in these matters.

What a Yutz.:laugh:

Well last thing I want to do is start a US/Canada flame war. It was just an observation and I was being more sarcastic with the last part, but didn't think I'd actually need to add the smiley.

I just noticed that there's a lot more US stories here than Canadian, while The Rink board seems to be more of an even split. Actually, I went back and counted: US - 15, Canada - 5. To add to that the majority of US accounts seem to be from California, with a few from New York as well, so while it's a small sample size it seems to be pretty area specific.

Burlington Bomb 26

Louie Louie Oh oh
Mar 16, 2008
Green Mountain State
I got like $20 stolen on a tuesday night practice(about a year ago), then the next day, I hid it in my shoe, and I got robbed of $15. Someone also stole $3 from my pockets like a month after that. The worst though is my teammate got his IPhone, and $30 bucks stolen.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Well last thing I want to do is start a US/Canada flame war. It was just an observation and I was being more sarcastic with the last part, but didn't think I'd actually need to add the smiley.
Then dont make pathetic post like you did, was a pretty stupid post. After all you had typed, I doubt a sarcastic smiley would have meant a dmn thing anyways.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I got like $20 stolen on a tuesday night practice(about a year ago), then the next day, I hid it in my shoe, and I got robbed of $15. Someone also stole $3 from my pockets like a month after that. The worst though is my teammate got his IPhone, and $30 bucks stolen.

Wow one has to wonder if it is even worth it stealing just $3. That was pathetic.

Best of luck in the future at the rinks. I am sure I've had nothing stolen in years because I leave the valuables in the glove box in the car before going in.

It is truly sad that people have to live that way.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Someone once stole all of my tape, my lace hook, and my spare laces I keep on stand-by.

I always wonder about that stuff ... I posted above that I keep my valuables in the car when at the rink BUT obviously as you have clearly indicated you do need stuff in the lockeroom.

I also keep extra laces, lace tightener (for kids ... I can tie my skates tight hehe) and a multitool which is great for anything from attaching a visor to whittling a wood buttend or something.

I also have an extra jersey in there for things like shinny or a pickup game where it is light vs dark and stuff.

It really is too bad that people have to thieving meatsticks.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I have a lace hook because I would always chafe my girlishly soft fingers when tightening my skates. I like mine really tight. Its strange though, because I also have spare socks and an extra jersey, and they were left alone. Maybe I'd used them recently and they were too 'aromatic' with sweat for them to take.

I guy I used to skate with had his pair of shoes stolen.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I used to keep two helmets in my bag: an old Selanne/Lemieux Jofa (think it was the 366) and a white Nike. The Jofa had a half-shield, was beat to hell, and I'd use that when I played ice, while the Nike helmet was my inline helmet that didn't have a shield. I had a game immediately after and noticed my Jofa was nowhere to be found. Emptied my bag on the floor and checked through the few jerseys I had balled up in the bottom of my bag. Nothing.

A few weeks later, I go to throw my skates in my bag and I hear this slight clunk. The helmet is back in my bag. I always kept a towel over it, specifically to cover the visor. Whoever put it back in the bag returned it but didn't bring back the towel (it was an old NHL breakout towel). Not that I'm complaining, and it's kinda odd that I pretty much "retired" from ice a few months after that happened so the helmet wasn't used much after it's return, but that's probably the first time I've had something stolen and returned to me in such an odd fashion.

densetsu

Speaking of returning, I've *found* two things in my bag.

- I'd drove home from morning shinny and was hanging my gear up to dry. At the bottom of the bag I found a wallet with $80 of cash in it. This was around the same time that a few others guys at morning shinny have had their things stolen, so I'm guessing a thief was in the middle of taking it when someone came into, so he just ditched it. I dropped it off to the ladies at the front desk on my way to work. I hope they didn't take the cash, because (a) they're middle-aged and hopefully honest (b) there were three of them, one might tattle, and (c) there's cameras everywhere at the front desk.

- Undressing after a league game, a teammate asked if anyone sees a ring -- his Iron ring, since he's an engineer. The floors and most of the bags are black, and the ring is a dark iron colour, so no dice. Fast forward three weeks later, I'm getting dressed and see the ring in my bag. He'd already ordered a replacement one, but a ring is a ring. Again, I have no idea how it got in my bag, especially since he was sitting across the room from me the night he lost it.

Maybe my bag is a magnet for valuables? Are there any precious metals that are ferrous? ;)

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
or you are a thief coverin your own ass! kidding of course, that is a pretty random thing especially to happen twice hah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad