Rob Scuderi to Penguins (4 Year Deal)

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m

Leafs would love to add Scuderi to their blueline. All around solid d-man. Sounds like Leafs are Scuderi's top ufa choice. #TSN

Farewell Scuds. Thanks for the cup.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Well they are swimming in dough so I'm not surprised. We'll see where he ends up.

Toronto really makes sense. He wants to be in the east, he knows Lieweke, they have cap space, and they need a guy like him. I honestly don't care if Scuds leaves. He had games this year that made me want him gone. He's clearly slowed down a step and no ****ing way he's worth a 5 year contract, ESPECIALLY at $4M per.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Yeah I think we're ready to move on, but I don't want another Defensive version of Doughty. We need another stay-at-home type...

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Yeah I think we're ready to move on, but I don't want another Defensive version of Doughty. We need another stay-at-home type...

No we don't. We have Mitchell-Regehr-Greene. Would I rather have Scuds than Regehr? Yes. But cost and term wise I'd rather Regehr than Scuds right now if what Scuds is asking for is true. We've got Gravel waiting in the wings and he'll be better than Scuds. Regehr is a fine stopgap until that point.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Well Mitchell better ****ing be healthy, if he goes down we're ****ed, with Ellerby as a backup plan...

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Well Mitchell better ****ing be healthy, if he goes down we're ****ed, with Ellerby as a backup plan...

This. We really need some stability on our blue line. Ellerby is good for a rotation when someone is injured but not as a starter.

BTW, is anyone getting a ton of popups now from HF boards? I keep getting Ace Hardware ads every time I open a page....

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
This. We really need some stability on our blue line. Ellerby is good for a rotation when someone is injured but not as a starter.

BTW, is anyone getting a ton of popups now from HF boards? I keep getting Ace Hardware ads every time I open a page....

We wouldn't let Scuds walk unless Dean and our doctors were very sure Willie would be okay. Dean doesn't really take risks like that, especially while we're still contenders. I'm very confident in Willie's health for that reason.

Also, I haven't seen ads in years. Ad Block Plus is so wonderful.

OH and now this:

Darren Dreger
Revisiting Scuderi tweet from earlier. Now hearing he's likely going back to Pittsburgh. 3-4 years has been discussed. Around $3 mil per.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
OH and now this:

Darren Dreger
Revisiting Scuderi tweet from earlier. Now hearing he's likely going back to Pittsburgh. 3-4 years has been discussed. Around $3 mil per.

40884.gif

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Scuds redeemed himself in the playoffs after his poor stretches in the regular season. Choosing Regehr over him is going to cost us.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
We wouldn't let Scuds walk unless Dean and our doctors were very sure Willie would be okay. Dean doesn't really take risks like that, especially while we're still contenders. I'm very confident in Willie's health for that reason.

Also, I haven't seen ads in years. Ad Block Plus is so wonderful.

OH and now this:

Darren Dreger

So what have the Kings been offering?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Scuds redeemed himself in the playoffs after his poor stretches in the regular season. Choosing Regehr over him is going to cost us.

Kings didn't choose RR over Scuds; he chose to leave the Kings for another team. RR was the insurance policty if MItchell doesn't come back or is'nt 100% on opening day.'
Kings didnt have the $$ or term Scuds was most likely looking for, whether it's the Pens or Leafs, best wishes to him..

DarrenDreger: Leafs would love to add Scuderi to their blueline. All around solid d-man. Sounds like Leafs are Scuderi's top ufa choice. #TSN

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The cap hit is better, but the length isn't too ideal. Either way, we only have $2 million in cap space.

Scuderi is an eastern guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted to go back home. He lived pretty modestly, judging by his interviews with Heidi at his house, it looked like he was saving most of the money he was earning in LA. He got security for his family, has another long term offer on the table, and can go back home and be near his family.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Kings didn't choose RR over Scuds; he chose to leave the Kings for another team. RR was the insurance policty if MItchell doesn't come back or is'nt 100% on opening day.'
Kings didnt have the $$ or term Scuds was most likely looking for and the Leafs (most likely ) do. Good for for hiim and them.

DarrenDreger: Leafs would love to add Scuderi to their blueline. All around solid d-man. Sounds like Leafs are Scuderi's top ufa choice. #TSN

You make it even more painful. I'm hoping we're making a push for Cody Franson at least, he'd shore everything up nicely. Muzz/Martinez would be gone though...

Sydor25

LA Kings
The cap hit is better, but the length isn't too ideal. Either way, we only have $2 million in cap space.

Scuderi is an eastern guy, I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted to go back home. He lived pretty modestly, judging by his interviews with Heidi at his house, it looked like he was saving most of the money he was earning in LA. He got security for his family, has another long term offer on the table, and can go back home and be near his family.

The Penguins could really use him back too. They need defensive help.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey now

Just spoke with Rob Scuderi and he tells me he's def signing with a team today! #penguins #leafs

Well...okay. I'm really happy about this. I hate **** that drags on. Sign and move on.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
We could have done 3 years / 3 million...

We offered more and he didn't take it.

It isn't as much about the money or even the term with what we offered.

It is about the location. As it has been said all along Rob wanted to head back east so that he can end his career where he wants to live when it is over. We offered more than $3m for 3 years and lets see what Rob gets when he signs.

Dave33

Jul 8, 2005
I like him, but I'm glad the Kings aren't signing him to a deal of that length. I'd rather let him walk, and go with the D we have, than have him for the last couple of years of that deal, in which I doubt he'll be that effective.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

It is about the location. As it has been said all along Rob wanted to head back east so that he can end his career where he wants to live when it is over. We offered more than $3m for 3 years and lets see what Rob gets when he signs.

Definitely seems to be the case. They said that we made Scuderi a very nice offer last Tuesday.

-Don’t expect a final decision from UFA blue-liner Rob Scuderi until Friday. Sources say Scuderi got a real nice offer from the Kings on Tuesday night but the veteran player wanted to see what was out there on the market with the 48-hour window for talking to other teams opening Wednesday. He has done that, hearing from several East Coast teams. Basically, if Scuderi does leave the Kings, he’s going to the East. It would not surprise me if Pittsburgh was among the several teams that called about Scuderi. The Pens know him well from his previous playing days in Pittsburgh.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/07/04/thursday-morning-scuderi-update/

Sounds like he just wants to go home back east. Can't blame him for that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Why would Scuderi offer a workable contract if he had no intentions of signing it?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Why would Scuderi offer a workable contract if he had no intentions of signing it?

Good question.

I think everyone wanted to believe that it was possible, even Rob himself but in the end it came down where he (RS) wanted to play. I suppose had we offered the rumored $4m for 5 yrs or something equally outside of the scope that we might have kept him. It would have taken a big deal for him to change his mind. We offered a great deal and he decided to move along.

With players and their families sometimes it comes down to timing too. The longer the negotiations took the harder it would take to sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad