Rob Scuderi to Penguins (4 Year Deal)

Ron*

IMGP0337_normal.jpg

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa
Things can change. But does not appear as though there will be a Rob Scuderi decision today. Suspect it has to be a tough call for him.

The problem with Twitter is sometimes you just can't your full point across. I asked her what other teams have made inquiries...have not heard back. Has anyone heard anything?

Maybe what she is commenting about is just committing to the Kings without listening to offers, but I think that is kind of naive. I always assumed he would be listening to offers. Why wouldn't he?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I always thought that too. It's too bad, because he is such a good character player, and no doubt a leader in the locker room.

Absolutely. Can't blame him for testing the market, but if he wants another ring, he probably needs to take at least the same money he's making right now. He has two though, so perhaps it's all about the money now.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't blame Scuds, him and his face-first game.

He made little money the first half of his career so he needs to get enough for his family now, this will be his last big $ contract.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's close to Voynov money. That's what you pay for a strong #2 guy who can do more than just protect the blueline. Seems way too excessive for any contending team. A borderline playoff team or anyone desperate for defense may probably be able to afford him. There's no cap space on the Kings to make that number work.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
That's close to Voynov money. That's what you pay for a strong #2 guy who can do more than just protect the blueline. Seems way too excessive for any contending team. A borderline playoff team or anyone desperate for defense may probably be able to afford him. There's no cap space on the Kings to make that number work.

I think the $3.8 was right on the money and more than fair. I really like Scuds and what he brings to the game and even think he deserved a raise but all things considered a $600k bump is an awful lot.

I bet he gets it but can't see us doing it.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I think the $3.8 was right on the money and more than fair. I really like Scuds and what he brings to the game and even think he deserved a raise but all things considered a $600k bump is an awful lot.

I bet he gets it but can't see us doing it.

Well we know the cap is going to go up, is it really worth losing him over 200k or do people feel 3.8 is still too much? I'm torn on this. He will be much better this year as I feel they can limit his minutes better this year. He was awful imo when he had to play too much.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Well we know the cap is going to go up, is it really worth losing him over 200k or do people feel 3.8 is still too much? I'm torn on this. He will be much better this year as I feel they can limit his minutes better this year. He was awful imo when he had to play too much.

To my way of seeing it it isn't that Scuds isn't worth the $4m per this coming season or even the next one but it starts becoming an issue in 3 years and it sort of sets the tone for what Greene will be worth and then after him what Marty or Ellerby or Muzz etc. If we have five D making at or near the $4m per or more range it is a very expensive D.

DD @ $7m
VV @ $4m
WM @ $3.5
RS @ $4m
MG @ $3.25
RR @ $3m
JM @ $1m

We would have $25m tied up in our D.

MG is a ufa after this season and will want a bump. We give Scuds at 35 $4m we will end up giving MG the same or more (opinion) and will have to re-sign or replace WM and RR. To me it isn't the $200K As much as it is what it will do to our cap mgmt.

Having over $25m tied up in our D seems like a bit much. I am terrible at asset mgmt though so hopefully KF or Ziggy can come and straighten me out on it. Maybe I am missing something.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If Scuds leaves and the Kings strike out in UFA(likely cause West coast), and Mitchell is not ready....The growing pains the young guys are going to have ; are going to piss everyone off.

GDT's are going to be a disaster, I feel sorry for the mods.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
We couldn't even sign him to his original deal. We are looking at ~$2 million in cap space when all is said and done with our free agents. Scuds is gone.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We couldn't even sign him to his original deal. We are looking at ~$2 million in cap space when all is said and done with our free agents. Scuds is gone.

Yep, I can't decipher how such a move could actually be made.

We wanted a core and we got one. The cap is going to go back up a little, but with raises coming to Brown, Greene, and a little one coming to Frattin too, we're probably capped out for the next two years. Such is life.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Yep, I can't decipher how such a move could actually be made.

We wanted a core and we got one. The cap is going to go back up a little, but with raises coming to Brown, Greene, and a little one coming to Frattin too, we're probably capped out for the next two years. Such is life.

Potentially replacing Mitchell will be the big issue next off season

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Potentially replacing Mitchell will be the big issue next off season

Looking ahead to 2014, there are going to be a ton of UFA defensemen.
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

The names who stand out as left-handed stay-at-home defensemen who could play alongside Doughty or Voynov are:

-Brooks Orpik (who the Kings attempted to sign back in 2008)

-Niklas Hjalmarsson

-Nick Schultz

-Dennis Seidenberg

-Chris Phillips

-Rostislav Klesla

-Mark Stuart

The top two names on that list to me would be Seidenberg and Hjalmarsson.

KingKopitar11*

Looking ahead to 2014, there are going to be a ton of UFA defensemen.
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

The names who stand out as left-handed stay-at-home defensemen who could play alongside Doughty or Voynov are:

-Brooks Orpik (who the Kings attempted to sign back in 2008)

-Niklas Hjalmarsson

-Nick Schultz

-Dennis Seidenberg

-Chris Phillips

-Rostislav Klesla

-Mark Stuart

The top two names on that list to me would be Seidenberg and Hjalmarsson.

Seidenberg would be an amazing addition.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Too many years for a guy who is constantly taking bad hits. One or two years is one thing but 4? No way. He wasn't as good this season as last so if he's already in his descent, let him be some other team's problem.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Crying about Scuderi in 2 years isn't an issue with the compliance buyout. Maybe we'll actually use it eventually. I just don't think it's necessary now because we've got a genius for a GM, who never hands out bad contracts (except for Robyn Regehr).

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Crying about Scuderi in 2 years isn't an issue with the compliance buyout. Maybe we'll actually use it eventually. I just don't think it's necessary now because we've got a genius for a GM, who never hands out bad contracts (except for Robyn Regehr).

The compliance buyout(s) would have to be used by next year, that's it. Two years from now, they're gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad