Rob Schremp piles on Tavares

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Actually, there is now some activity on the Isles version of this thread. There was nothing until some Leaf fans went there and started ranting.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Former Islander teammates still have JT's back:

Tavares' former teammates not buying criticisms of his character - Sportsnet.ca

Hickey:

“It’s silly to me,” said defenceman

“I’ve told this story before. The year John lost the scoring title by one point (to Jamie Benn in 2014-15), in a meaningless play about halfway through the year I shot it and it looked like Johnny tipped it. He got credit for it. After the game he said, ‘I’m going to change that, I didn’t touch it — that was your point.’

“He ended up losing the scoring title by one point, and my point totals don’t really matter.

“He’s a good teammate. For anyone to say he’s selfish, they’re just misguided. Maybe they’re looking for a headline.”

Martin:

“He was by no means a bad leader or a bad teammate — I think he was a good captain, led by example, played hard every night and really cared about the organization and the team,” said

“Everyone is entitled to their opinion — that’s just mine, and I think it’s similar throughout this dressing room.

“He was never negative in any way. He just came and worked hard.”

Martin’s first go-round as an Islander coincided with the two years Schremp and Tavares were teammates and said he doesn’t recall there being a personality clash between the two.

"He’s one of the best players in the league for a reason,” said Martin.

“He was the captain here for a long time for a reason. He’s already got a letter in Toronto for a reason. There’s no reason to attack his character in any way. He made a decision. It was his life choice and we still consider him a friend. The general consensus was he was totally in his rights to move on.”

Ladd:

“From my standpoint he did a lot of good things there. He was involved in the community and was a great teammate. As a professional, he was one of the best I’ve ever seen.
“The way he takes care of himself and all that — he wanted to be the best. That’s his goal. Everything he did was for the group. Nothing but good things from me as a teammate. He’s got a good rep in this room.”

Eberle:

John’s one of the hardest working players I ever played with,” said
Jordan Eberle, who only spent one season alongside Tavares on the Island.

“If the team isn’t having success and he is, it’s not his fault. I’ve never seen him be selfish. (The tweet) was a bit surprising. I was shocked, because I know John and played with him and I think the majority of guys who played with him will say the same thing.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad