Kings News: Rob Blake to replace Hextall as Assistant GM

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
My buddy went to a Kings game way back when and headed to the now defunct Harry O's in Manhattan Beach after the game. He said Allison was at the bar drinking by himself literally a half hour after the game ended. Wow. Dude couldn't wait to shower and get out of there.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
not sure what the point is but after all the different teams , great and not so great players,dumb ***** and double dumbasses and after winning the cup lets let all the past BS go , I for one have stopped hating # 33 and will not hold a grudge against blake any longer, some times we forget this is their lively hoods and it only last a relatively short time.........someday I even hope to say #33's name without my blood pressure going thru the roof

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
not sure what the point is but after all the different teams , great and not so great players,dumb ***** and double dumbasses and after winning the cup lets let all the past BS go , I for one have stopped hating # 33 and will not hold a grudge against blake any longer, some times we forget this is their lively hoods and it only last a relatively short time.........someday I even hope to say #33's name without my blood pressure going thru the roof

Ok,so up comes #33 hate again. I'd like to set a few people straight regarding Marty and that stick. Being a grandparent, I've been around a hell of a lot longer than most of you and the night of said stick incident was completely a different situation than has been spread around for years. In those days, illegal sticks were being used by many,many players. Marty had been a scoring threat, along with running interference for Gretz for a long time. Habs coach Jacques Demers wanted Marty out of that game in a big time way. Some years ago Pat LaFontaine and Luc were being interviewed prior to an all-star game and of course, that subject came up. Luc chuckled and said yeah, when that stick was called to attention by Demers, you could hear sticks breaking over on the Habs bench. (figure that out people)
It's also a fact that Demers had sent one of his people into the Kings locker room and checked out the sticks so, he knew in advance just what to do at the right time. End of Marty McSorley saga please.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Anyone who hates on McSorley just doesn't know ****. As if McSorley was at fault for the team being incapable of winning an OT game, which they had three attempts at. The Kings couldn't score on Patrick Roy and never gained a lead in any game after Game 2, and that was largely due to Roy's goaltending.

As for Allison. The guy was an ******* who only cared about himself. Nobody remembers him fondly anywhere because he quickly wore out his welcome wherever he played. He put up an insane amount of points in Boston. See any Bruins fans reminiscing about how great he was? Of course not. Craig Janney also put up a lot of points, as did Jimmy Carson and Rob Brown, but just like Allison, they're not remembered by fans because they just never did anything noteworthy aside from enjoying some individual success for a select few years.

And aside from select Kings fans who can't learn to let go of a 12 year old grudge, you can't find anyone saying anything negative about Blake. He's one of an elite few players who are part of the Triple Gold Club (Olympic Gold Medal, World Championship Gold Medal, and Stanley Cup), a Norris Trophy winner, a seven time All-Star, and as I mentioned earlier in this discussion, holds every Kings' record for defensemen. But I guess a contract negotiation turned sour is enough to erase all of that...

Last edited:

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Anyone who hates on McSorley just doesn't know ****. As if McSorley was at fault for the team being incapable of winning an OT game, which they had three attempts at. The Kings couldn't score on Patrick Roy and never gained a lead in any game after Game 2, and that was largely due to Roy's goaltending.

Thank you, thank you Ziggy for more common sense here on this board.:nod:

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here

As for Allison. The guy was an ******* who only cared about himself. Nobody remembers him fondly anywhere because he quickly wore out his welcome wherever he played. He put up an insane amount of points in Boston. See any Bruins fans reminiscing about how great he was? Of course not. Craig Janney also put up a lot of points, as did Jimmy Carson and Rob Brown, but just like Allison, they're not remembered by fans because they just never did anything noteworthy aside from enjoying some individual success for a select few years.

And aside from select Kings fans who can't learn to let go of a 12 year old grudge, you can't find anyone saying anything negative about Blake. He's one of an elite few players who are part of the Triple Gold Club (Olympic Gold Medal, World Championship Gold Medal, and Stanley Cup), a Norris Trophy winner, a seven time All-Star, and as I mentioned earlier in this discussion, holds every Kings' record for defensemen. But I guess a contract negotiation turned sour is enough to erase all of that...

One funny thing about Patrick Roy. If you remember games he played in. Before the game, he'd skate out to the crease and talk to the crossbar. Also, during games he carried on a conversation with someone, only he knew who, bobbing his head up and down just talking away. He was a true character in goal.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here

By the way some fans keep dwelling on Marty and Rob, I guess Stars fans should forever hate ambulance drivers. Years ago, cams used to follow along when a guy was carried off the ice. One night Modana got knocked out cold. Cams followed the stretcher carriers right out to the ambulance. Upon lifting the stretcher into said ambulance, plop - down went Modano onto the ground. They dropped him. lol; next day when asked about it, he had no idea it had happened, as he was out cold. hahaha, now that's the kind of stuff to remember. That's back when KTLA (5), with Stu Nahan used to cover games. Sometimes KHJ(9) too.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
Ok,so up comes #33 hate again. I'd like to set a few people straight regarding Marty and that stick. Being a grandparent, I've been around a hell of a lot longer than most of you and the night of said stick incident was completely a different situation than has been spread around for years. In those days, illegal sticks were being used by many,many players. Marty had been a scoring threat, along with running interference for Gretz for a long time. Habs coach Jacques Demers wanted Marty out of that game in a big time way. Some years ago Pat LaFontaine and Luc were being interviewed prior to an all-star game and of course, that subject came up. Luc chuckled and said yeah, when that stick was called to attention by Demers, you could hear sticks breaking over on the Habs bench. (figure that out people)

Yup, that's been said by so many people over the years, the truth of that still cracks me up ever time I hear it.

It's also a fact that Demers had sent one of his people into the Kings locker room and checked out the sticks so, he knew in advance just what to do at the right time. End of Marty McSorley saga please.

This, on the other hand has been debunked by both Gretzky and McNall. Gretzky said that whether the sticks had been checked or not shouldn't have made ANY difference because Marty shouldn't have been using an illegal stick PERIOD. Marty, however, has said that he had no other choice. You know why? Because that's all he had. That's right. Marty McSorley had no legal sticks to use in the 3rd period.

McNall actually denies the sticks were even checked. He did it right next to me while I was watching game 2 vs the Devils last season. Right after Marty had called him to chat.

I agree. Although there isn't a shred of doubt in my mind that the Kings would have won game 2 if there was no penalty, Hrudey has said that a few other players had illegal sticks that Demers could have called for a check on other guys too. Of course, none of them should have played the 3rd with those sticks...but they might have.

And he fell in the draft to #17 in 1993 because he was a coach's nightmare. And he was practically a throw-in in the Carey/Carter for Ranford/Oates/Tocchet deal in 1997 because the Caps had had enough of him.

12 years, eh? I'd call that "having commitment". :naughty:

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

I like your posts Ziggy and I get your point except to call the whole thing merely a "contract negotiation that turned sour" I think is underselling the whole situation way short and slightly hurts your argument. We've discussed the many reasons for the Rob Blake hate and and I think many have understood the King's role in things also.

But it goes deeper than just a contract dispute.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Yup, that's been said by so many people over the years, the truth of that still cracks me up ever time I hear it.

This, on the other hand has been debunked by both Gretzky and McNall. Gretzky said that whether the sticks had been checked or not shouldn't have made ANY difference because Marty shouldn't have been using an illegal stick PERIOD. Marty, however, has said that he had no other choice. You know why? Because that's all he had. That's right. Marty McSorley had no legal sticks to use in the 3rd period.

McNall actually denies the sticks were even checked. He did it right next to me while I was watching game 2 vs the Devils last season. Right after Marty had called him to chat.

I agree. Although there isn't a shred of doubt in my mind that the Kings would have won game 2 if there was no penalty, Hrudey has said that a few other players had illegal sticks that Demers could have called for a check on other guys too. Of course, none of them should have played the 3rd with those sticks...but they might have.

And he fell in the draft to #17 in 1993 because he was a coach's nightmare. And he was practically a throw-in in the Carey/Carter for Ranford/Oates/Tocchet deal in 1997 because the Caps had had enough of him.

12 years, eh? I'd call that "having commitment". :naughty:

While Bruce McNall was responsible for bringing Gretz to the kings, having served time in prison, he wasn't exactly the most honest and forthright person.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The thing that bothered me most about the whole stick incident is what Hrudey said about the locker room atmosphere after the loss. It sounded like they just completely broke down and didn't recover from that Game 2 loss and lost their composure.

And to illustrate how Patrick Roy got in their heads, take a look at these numbers from the series:

Robitaille, 3 goals
Gretzky, 2 goals
Kurri, 1 goal
Sandstrom, 0 goals
Granato, 1 goal
Donnelly, 1 goal
Millen, 0 goals
Carson, 0 goals
Taylor, 1 goal
Conacher, 1 goal
Rychel, 0 goals
Shuchuk, 0 goals

So the Kings 12 regularly used forwards combined for 10 goals in the 5 game series against the Habs in '93. That right there is the work of Patrick Roy playing at his best. The Kings had numerous scoring opportunities (namely Sandstrom) and just couldn't get the puck past Roy.

Blaming McSorley is just a lazy, tired old excuse. Making him the scapegoat is a misinformed and uneducated opinion. He was a big part of getting the Kings as far as they did in '93. And Marty's 2 goals during the Finals would have ranked him tied with Gretz for 2nd most on the team.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Please don't put Jason Allison and Marty McSorley in the same sentence. Marty fought for the black and white for over 8 seasons. He protected Gretzky and all his team mates. Not even his own teammates speak poorly about him after the illegal stick or the Brashear incident. He was respected by everyone around the league. I met him once and he seemed like a nice guy, enforcers usually are. Marty learned to become a better player but never lost track of what got him into the league. He was fighting heavyweights that day he came into the league and fighting heavyweights the day he left the league.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
One thing that really annoyed me during the Kings' Cup run is the constant "stick redemption" talk. It was so irritating to hear that.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
I'll sometimes joke about McSorely...but that's as far as it goes...

The thing about Blake is that he made it personal when he threw the C in the garbage... That spoke volumes in what he truly feels about the Kings...

I never thought it said much about what he felt/feels about the Kings. I thought it said alot about his maturity and leadership.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I never thought it said much about what he felt/feels about the Kings. I thought it said alot about his maturity and leadership.

I think that was the worst mistake he made, and thankfully some sense was talked into him by Taylor and Andy Murray to keep the "C" on. But to play devil's advocate, let's put ourselves in a similar scenario. Say you've been in a marriage for 12 years, then your spouse approaches you to tell you that you have to give more in the relationship and if you don't, they're going to divorce you and there is zero room for compromise. That's how the negotiations were approached by AEG.

Now I agree that Blake did not handle it professionally, but I could also understand why he was taken aback by the Kings' approach when they presented the offer with a firm ultimatum if he did not accept the contract under their terms and their terms only. They were not interested in the least bit in negotiating. An even bigger joke is that they did eventually move from their ultimatum and kept increasing their offer as the season progressed, but the damage was already done by that point and Blake felt that he was not wanted by the Kings.

It's also sad to read how Taylor pretty much came off as just a puppet to Leiweke and AEG. He was more of the middle man doing damage control in trying to patch things up and calm things down to get Blake back to the negotiating table while Leiweke, Gilmore, and AEG dictated the negotiations. It was under their orders as to how much Taylor would be capped at to get Blake re-signed and they set their own deadline to determine when to move him had he not been signed.

I would also like to bring up how often the Kings back then would have significant players miss parts of camp due to them holding out. This was a common occurrence under AEG. Remember how Norstrom wasn't re-signed until the day before the start of the regular season? Aki Berg returned to Finland for a full season which may have actually stunted his development (not to mention the piss poor handling of him as a teenager, you could include Jokinen and countless others as well). Storr, Matt Johnson, Stumpel, Blake, etc. For some reason, contract negotiations were never easy during that period. I'd say it is more fair and sensible to find both parties equally at fault. You have to keep in mind that AEG didn't show any loyalty to players back then, and it's been well documented that it wasn't just their handling of Rob Blake that proves this to be true.

And that is why I'm thankful that Lombardi took the job here. Also keep in mind that before accepting the job, Lombardi was warned that they (AEG) wouldn't give him carte blanche to run the team as he saw fit. Thankfully Leiweke relented and gave Lombardi freedom to run the team as he envisioned it to be and not Leiweke's vision of how the team should be. Remember how often he talked about getting a star to play at Staples Center? His interest wasn't about building a successful team, it was only about dollars and cents. Come up with a stupid catchy slogan, spend money on marketing, and sell a pseudo five-year plan as if he's interested in building a winning culture here. That never came to fruition until Dean Lombardi stepped in.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
I think that was the worst mistake he made, and thankfully some sense was talked into him by Taylor and Andy Murray to keep the "C" on. But to play devil's advocate, let's put ourselves in a similar scenario. Say you've been in a marriage for 12 years, then your spouse approaches you to tell you that you have to give more in the relationship and if you don't, they're going to divorce you and there is zero room for compromise. That's how the negotiations were approached by AEG.

Now I agree that Blake did not handle it professionally, but I could also understand why he was taken aback by the Kings' approach when they presented the offer with a firm ultimatum if he did not accept the contract under their terms and their terms only. They were not interested in the least bit in negotiating. An even bigger joke is that they did eventually move from their ultimatum and kept increasing their offer as the season progressed, but the damage was already done by that point and Blake felt that he was not wanted by the Kings.

It's also sad to read how Taylor pretty much came off as just a puppet to Leiweke and AEG. He was more of the middle man doing damage control in trying to patch things up and calm things down to get Blake back to the negotiating table while Leiweke, Gilmore, and AEG dictated the negotiations. It was under their orders as to how much Taylor would be capped at to get Blake re-signed and they set their own deadline to determine when to move him had he not been signed.

I would also like to bring up how often the Kings back then would have significant players miss parts of camp due to them holding out. This was a common occurrence under AEG. Remember how Norstrom wasn't re-signed until the day before the start of the regular season? Aki Berg returned to Finland for a full season which may have actually stunted his development (not to mention the piss poor handling of him as a teenager, you could include Jokinen and countless others as well). Storr, Matt Johnson, Stumpel, Blake, etc. For some reason, contract negotiations were never easy during that period. I'd say it is more fair and sensible to find both parties equally at fault. You have to keep in mind that AEG didn't show any loyalty to players back then, and it's been well documented that it wasn't just their handling of Rob Blake that proves this to be true.

And that is why I'm thankful that Lombardi took the job here. Also keep in mind that before accepting the job, Lombardi was warned that they (AEG) wouldn't give him carte blanche to run the team as he saw fit. Thankfully Leiweke relented and gave Lombardi freedom to run the team as he envisioned it to be and not Leiweke's vision of how the team should be. Remember how often he talked about getting a star to play at Staples Center? His interest wasn't about building a successful team, it was only about dollars and cents. Come up with a stupid catchy slogan, spend money on marketing, and sell a pseudo five-year plan as if he's interested in building a winning culture here. That never came to fruition until Dean Lombardi stepped in.

Amen to all of that.
If I want to spend my time hating on something from the past that had me furious for days, it was the night in Saint Louis when Geoff Cournall ran Jamie Storr and just how Fraser enjoyed handing out that penalty to Sean O'Donnell for sticking up for Storr. Now, that makes me mad to even think of it today.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I find this talk about Cammalleri pretty amusing....that guy was a first class dick as well. So what's the point?

I find it funny that you pull this out of the post he made and ignored the fact Allison was a first class dick himself.

My buddy went to a Kings game way back when and headed to the now defunct Harry O's in Manhattan Beach after the game. He said Allison was at the bar drinking by himself literally a half hour after the game ended. Wow. Dude couldn't wait to shower and get out of there.

Was he actually playing? He was injured more than healthy here.

I don't hate McSorley. I loved watching him play, and by no means do I blame him for losing the series. That was a team effort.

That said, I do blame him for Game 2. It was common knowledge players used illegal sticks back then, but it was also common knowledge you put those sticks away before the 3rd period started. Why he had that banana stick on the bench with three minutes left to play was totally idiotic.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Amen to all of that.
If I want to spend my time hating on something from the past that had me furious for days, it was the night in Saint Louis when Geoff Cournall ran Jamie Storr and just how Fraser enjoyed handing out that penalty to Sean O'Donnell for sticking up for Storr. Now, that makes me mad to even think of it today.

I believe the ref for that game was Don "Fat Pig" Koharski.

And of course, the subsequent powerplay that led to a complete meltdown.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/28/sports/sp-43929
King Coach Larry Robinson was upset with Koharski's call.

"He robbed of us of a game, plain and simple," Robinson said. "Their guy runs our goaltender and could have put him out of the game and he gets a two-minute for charging. It's a disgrace. An absolute disgrace. . . . The people of L.A. should be very upset. [Koharski] absolutely gave it to the team across the hall."

When asked about Courtnall's hit on Storr, Koharski said, "I didn't see it."

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/29/sports/sp-44233
"[Koharski] had the boarding penalty on [Ian] Laperriere, the puck proceeded down the ice," Sisco said. "He saw [Geoff] Courtnall skate down the lane. He saw Jamie Storr come out of his crease just a little and stick out his stick. Courtnall bumped the goaltender and the goaltender went down. O'Donnell jumped Courtnall and proceeded to throw punches. And therefore, he got the major and a game misconduct. Courtnall was given the [charging] penalty.

When asked if Koharski's reasoning was that Storr was out of the crease and then considered fair game, Sisco said: "No he was not fair game and that's why Courtnall received the two minutes for charging."

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I find it funny that you pull this out of the post he made and ignored the fact Allison was a first class dick himself.

I wasn't pulling it out of that particular post....more like the several posts that people are arguing that Allison was a dick because he hurt Camm's feelings. Well I say who gives a rats ass about Mike C, because that guy was a royal turd as well.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Thanks so much for the correction there Ziggy. Got Fraser mixed up with nite he did the measuring of Martys stick.

Yep, that was Fraser indeed. And to complete the hat trick for terrible officials throughout the 90s, there was also that classic moment where Larry Robinson flipped off Bill McCreary after he blew a call that should've led to a whistle as the Kings had a delayed penalty called on them. But after the Kings made contact with the puck, McCreary didn't blow the puck dead and the Stars scored. And Larry Robinson was ejected from the game.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/mar/18/sports/sp-30249
"He had a burr up his rear end when he came to the rink, somebody didn't clean the water bottle or something," Robinson said about McCreary. "He was yelling at everybody all night. But don't take it out on us, it's a big game."

Robinson was ejected for disputing the Stars' first goal when, on a delayed penalty called on the Kings by McCreary, King goaltender Stephane Fiset played the puck behind the net but play was not stopped.

The Kings received a bench minor before Robinson's ejection and Dallas scored a power-play goal to take a 2-0 lead heading into the first intermission.

"I want to publicly apologize to [McCreary] for the obscene gesture. Whether he was right or wrong, it's inexcusable," Robinson said. "There are a lot of little kids and they shouldn't see something like that. I don't remember doing it, but I've done a lot of things when I'm in a fit of rage."

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/mar/18/sports/sp-30221
"The first goal [in a game] is always important, that's why I was so upset," said Robinson, ejected for the first time in his three-year coaching career. "Everybody had stopped. You can clearly see it on the replay too. They want us to keep our composure all of the time, but when it's an important game and it could cost you a game and they make a call like that, it's not a great situation."

The play in question happened when the Kings' Jason Morgan dragged down Dallas forward Pat Verbeek and McCreary held up his arm to call a hooking penalty.

When King goaltender Stephane Fiset played the puck behind the team's net, however, a whistle was not blown. So when Fiset's clearing pass was knocked down by Dallas winger Jamie Wright, play was allowed to continue and Wright passed to a wide-open Verbeek, who scored into an empty net from the top of the crease at 7:44.

The Kings were then given a bench minor for complaining about McCreary's slow whistle and before the team was able to put a player into the penalty box, Robinson was ejected.

"[McCreary] blew the call," said Robinson, who spent the rest of the game sitting next to assistant Don Edwards and General Manager Dave Taylor in the stands. "He called a delayed penalty. Steph stopped and played the puck. . . . The whistle should have blown, everybody had stopped.

"[McCreary] wouldn't even come over to the bench, probably because I was yelling at him. I don't scream for nothing, I know it's a tough job. All we're asking for is a fair shake."

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
If I'm remembering right, even Courtnall's mother was upset with him over that hit.

Ha, good memory, that actually did happen!

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1998/C...ues-Sweep/id-eda76b6afc9d44cc13804bcbac3b15de
Just getting to the rink for Game 4 was a harrowing experience for Courtnall. The cab driver taking him and some teammates to the Forum wouldn't drive down a ramp leading into the rink, dropping them off outside. ``There was about 30 people screaming and yelling at us,'' Courtnall said. ``So I just jumped out of the cab and ran into the rink.''

Local radio stations tried calling the team hotel to wake up Courtnall in the early hours, but the team had the phones blocked. Courtnall even got his mother mad at him. His younger brother, Russ, plays for the Kings. ``I think it was just that she was probably upset because Russ is in the other dressing room with all those teammates who want to kill me,'' Courtnall said.

The brothers spoke Thursday night, the day after the Blues completed the only first-round sweep in the NHL with a 2-1 victory. ``He told me I was lucky the score stayed close,'' Courtnall said.

Courtnall didn't apologize for the hit on Storr, which sidelined the Kings' goalie for the finale with post-concussion syndrome and led to the Blues' power-play burst after Sean O'Donnell pummeled him and drew a five-minute major. He said he thought Storr was faking like he was going to block him from beating a Kings' player on the forecheck, and never got out of the way.

``I hate to see a guy get hurt, but I didn't try to run him,'' Courtnall said. ``At the last minute I knew I was going to hit him and there was nothing I could do. I was going too fast ...''

More links to read about the hit:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-19980518-article19
Chasing a puck deep into the Los Angeles zone, Courtnall crashed his shoulder at ram speed into goalie Jamie Storr's foolishly exposed noggin, which bounced off the crossbar before landing with a pumpkin-falling-from-the-shelf-like splat. Courtnall's mother, Kathy Newman, there to see her two boys play, watched in horror. She thought she had taught her four kids to play fair. "She wasn't too pleased with Geoff," says Russ. "But I told her that what he did was what he's done for a long time. I told her that whether she likes it or not, he's going to keep doing it." That didn't stop Russ from snubbing Geoff after the game. "You're brutal," Russ told his older brother.

Also found this article in which Courtnall admits that he did intend to bump Storr:
https://moundcitysports.com/courtnall-storr.html
“We were playing together and we were sitting there and I said, ‘Dump it close to him, and if he comes out, I’ll bump into him to try to change the momentum.'â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad