Kings News: Rob Blake to replace Hextall as Assistant GM

Captain Mittens*

There's only one thing I like about Blake....that trading his ass gave us the opportunity to see Adam Deadmarsh lace up skates for our team. That dude gave us more in two seasons than Blake did in 11. Oh yeah, Aaron Miller wasn't too shabby either!

I only wish The Kings didn't have the ghetto training staff they did back then. Deader was one of my favorite Kings ever

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
No

Remember, Blake did put the C back on a few days later and publicly apologized.

And also remember the trade was a shock to Blake, he wasn't warned it was coming nor did he really expect to ever get traded

You're just blowing in the wind there when you try to make some sense. Afterall, in some peoples eyes Blake is John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, Sirhan,Sirhan, and Ted Bundy alllll rolled into one. Even people who never even knew the Kings existed before they won the cup.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
The blame for that lies much more on Lieweekly and Gilmore than Blake.
The same take it or leave it style of negotiations are the reason Luc bolted for Detroit

But eventually, ALL negotiations where both sides don't agree get to the point of take-it-or-leave-it. And the truth is that Blake and Luc also made take-it-or-leave-it demands. Otherwise they wouldn't have left, they'd have made another contract demand prior to leaving.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
IIRC he woke up found out he got traded.

A read something recently, I don't know if it was something linked here or something from the Mayor saying that he cried when he found and out when he said goodbye to Luc.

Ok then. Well, of course it was a shock. But when you decide to do what's best for the union, and solely in your own best interests (in contrast to Brown and both this new contract and his last one), what the heck do you expect?

It just sounded to me like you said it as a way to back up that the Kings were scallywags.

Not trying to pick on you or incite anything here -- honestly curious.

So if I were to paraphrase your argument it'd be:

"Management had a big hand in creating a bad situation and Blake went full (Mod Edit) and really has no defense of his own for his actions either."

Accurate?

No

Remember, Blake did put the C back on a few days later and publicly apologized.

And also remember the trade was a shock to Blake, he wasn't warned it was coming nor did he really expect to ever get traded

Last edited by a moderator:

bral

Go Kings!
Nov 30, 2004
Corona,CA
I just don't understand HOW Blake deserves this...why not Futa or Yennetti or someone who's been with the Kings and Dean the last 7 years.
Personally i'd be happier with Deadmarsh in the position for better or worse.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I miss Adam so much :(

deadmarshgm6.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You're just blowing in the wind there when you try to make some sense. Afterall, in some peoples eyes Blake is John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, Sirhan,Sirhan, and Ted Bundy alllll rolled into one. Even people who never even knew the Kings existed before they won the cup.

I was thinking more along the lines of Judas, you know with the pieces of silver and all. I love the hyperbole, keep it coming.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
There's only one thing I like about Blake....that trading his ass gave us the opportunity to see Adam Deadmarsh lace up skates for our team. That dude gave us more in two seasons than Blake did in 11. Oh yeah, Aaron Miller wasn't too shabby either!

So you became a Kings fan after 1993?

As long as you got on board sometime. :handclap:

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
I only wish The Kings didn't have the ghetto training staff they did back then. Deader was one of my favorite Kings ever

I proudly wore my Deadmarsh jersey for years until the Kings won the Cup, then retired it after game 6. I love that jersey.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Adam Deadmarsh was everything you would ever want in a hockey player, very happy he played for the Kings, even if it was for such a short time, really sad too, he was just coming into his own, he was leading the NHL in goals at the time of his final, career ending injury.

BTW, speaking of those teams, there is a guy you can add to the biggest jackass list I posted earlier. Jason Allison. This guy was just a mean person, what he said to 20 year old rookie Cammalleri was disgusting, happy we have guys like Brown and Kopi in leadership positions now. Happy that Allison's career was cut short, not because of injuries, but because the game changed and he couldn't skate in the new league.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What did he say?

He was not happy about having to play with a rookie forward. Found this old post from danaluvsthekings circa 2005 touching on it, among other issues with Jason Allison and the Kings. I think he owned his own remote island, and I can see why. He was not a people person.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=3118556&postcount=9
Speaking as an LA fan, I'd be leery of Allison if I was you. Allison is one of those guys who wears out his welcome wherever he goes and seems to be a cancer in the locker room. He made comments where he was upset about the Kings thinking about playing him with rookies, Cammalleri in particular. There was an alleged incident between him and Norstrom where Norstrom threw him out of the locker room because Allison was criticizing teammates. Then there was his whole public feud with Andy Murray that started because Murray said something like it looks like he might be back soon if his rehab went well. And for some reason Allison went ballistic. I'll admit Murray shouldn't have reacted when Allison went to the press with his criticisms but Allison never should have gone to the press. If he had a problem he should have discussed it with Murray and Taylor privately.

To me, after watching Allison here in LA for a few years, he's a great player when he's healthy and focusing on the game. But he also causes a lot of problems and headaches. If Allison had trouble playing with young players in LA, he might have similar issues in Atlanta. Plus there's the whole Andy Sutton knee injury issue.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ziggy kind of touched on most of it.

The Kings got Cammalleri to sign early by promising him the opportunity to play with Allison and Deadmarsh and have Palffy move to another line to balance the scoring. Well this did not make Allison very happy, not only did he not want the rookie on his line, he went out of his way to make him feel uncomfortable at training camp. Never heard anything about the alleged incident with Norstrom, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true. Jason Allison was the Jack Parkman of the NHL (my second Major League 2 reference of the week)

It's one thing to be money hungry me first players like Blake and Smyth, as much as I disliked both, they were respected and liked by teammates. Allison was not only a me first, money hungry player, he was also apparently universally disliked by teammates in every place he went.

Wonder what that clown is up to these days.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
BTW, speaking of those teams, there is a guy you can add to the biggest jackass list I posted earlier. Jason Allison. This guy was just a mean person, what he said to 20 year old rookie Cammalleri was disgusting, happy we have guys like Brown and Kopi in leadership positions now. Happy that Allison's career was cut short, not because of injuries, but because the game changed and he couldn't skate in the new league.

He was not happy about having to play with a rookie forward. Found this old post from danaluvsthekings circa 2005 touching on it, among other issues with Jason Allison and the Kings. I think he owned his own remote island, and I can see why. He was not a people person.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=3118556&postcount=9

Ziggy kind of touched on most of it.

The Kings got Cammalleri to sign early by promising him the opportunity to play with Allison and Deadmarsh and have Palffy move to another line to balance the scoring. Well this did not make Allison very happy, not only did he not want the rookie on his line, he went out of his way to make him feel uncomfortable at training camp. Never heard anything about the alleged incident with Norstrom, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true. Jason Allison was the Jack Parkman of the NHL (my second Major League 2 reference of the week)

It's one thing to be money hungry me first players like Blake and Smyth, as much as I disliked both, they were respected and liked by teammates. Allison was not only a me first, money hungry player, he was also apparently universally disliked by teammates in every place he went.

Wonder what that clown is up to these days.

I didn't like the acquisition and as great a player as he was, he was a poor teammate.

But it's different with him than with other guys. Alot of people don't know he had a serotonin imbalance, which causes muscle problems, seizures, and can cause emotional instability. It wasn't diagnosed until after his "concussion" (which may not have been a concussion at all) and he got on meds after that. It's not clear whether the imbalance preceded the injury or not but it's very possible it did.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I didn't like the acquisition and as great a player as he was, he was a poor teammate.

But it's different with him than with other guys. Alot of people don't know he had a serotonin imbalance, which causes muscle problems, seizures, and can cause emotional instability. It wasn't diagnosed until after his "concussion" (which may not have been a concussion at all) and he got on meds after that. It's not clear whether the imbalance preceded the injury or not but it's very possible it did.

Say what you want about Allison, the dude was a stud on the ice.....and I can tell you nobody had a problem with him when he was racking up a point per game with the Kings.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
and I can tell you nobody had a problem with him when he was racking up a point per game with the Kings.

That's not quite true. You may not have seen it, but I never liked the acquisition and I never liked what he brought to the team. As Herb Brooks said "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right players." I believe in that.

I also think Cammalleri had a problem with him. And others. Ever hear the story about Modry's charity bowling night? Someone said he'd be there, didn't show up (for no good reason) and his teammates had quite a problem with it.

jt

Feb 17, 2005
Orange County
I find this talk about Cammalleri pretty amusing....that guy was a first class dick as well. So what's the point?

I agree with you that he was.

My point was that some players did have a problem with Allison even when he was scoring a ton. Cammy did. Modry did...and so did others at that event. Norstrom did too, which is why he was kicked out of the lockerroom - and that's not the only confrontation.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Just goes to show you how a poisoned locker room can stifle a team.

Those were some skilled Kings teams that won nothing.

The Kings current locker room plays hard for each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad