RNH or Seguin

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Seguin got drafted 2nd overall by a team (that lucked out in a trade) trying to win a cup and not as concerned with sporting a sexy lottery pick and giving him 18 min of ice time a night.

There is no way on Earth I would rather have RNH if they were both offered to me right now.

Some say Seguin struggled on a cup contender in his first year in the NHL. Well it is yet to be seen if the other guy can make by far the worst team in the NHL 2 years running IMO, let alone be a standout on a poor team.
said perfectly.
If Seguin were the mega talent he was supposed to be, he wouldn't have struggled the way he did. It was really hard to watch, actually.

he had a defensive coach who forced his defensive system before worrying about seguins offense. Seguins offensive skills are obvious. Turning him into a more complete player by making him responsible at both ends of the ice was the overall obj.

If the bruins were a bottom dwelling team like oilers, leafs etc you'd see an inexperienced guy in his rookie year playing almost 20mins a game floating at the red line waiting for a juicey outlet pass. The bruins were a top 5 offense with seguin netting only 11goals. If you put seguin on the oilers he would get more than double the PP time, and 6+ minutes more a game you'd see more points too, but his overall game would take longer to develop.

I'm a Leafs fan, completely neutral to both players and I completely agree with you.
sour-grapes.jpg

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Seguin, you can't teach size and when skill is virtually even you take the kid with the size. I also like how Seguin was a better goal scorer in juniors and didn't rely so heavily on the PP to produce.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Full potential, give me RNH.. more likely to reach his potential, probably Seguin.

As stated, no one knows.

Ogopogo*

Seguin ANEC

That is an unintelligent answer.

I don't think this can be answered at this point. Both are good, both will have very good NHL careers and it could be very close between the two.

I think RNH will be given more freedom to create offense in Edmonton than Seguin will under Julien and that could be the difference in production.

Both teams have a helluva player.

Kaazen

Jun 8, 2011
Seattle
I know that RNH isn't the biggest kid and Seguin impressed at the combine...

But the size argument here is a little odd. This time last year, the forum was arguing Seguin's wrist size, and there were pages of debate on his potential playing weight.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Seguin. RNH has the potential to be a star, to be sure, but Seguin's skill set is unique. His speed made Roloson go :help:, twice, his wrister is deadly enough to make goalies go :dunno:, he's willing to shoot on the PP (which says a lot for a Bruin), and he has excellent vision and hockey sense to boot. He needs to grow physically further, and needs to go to the corners and solidify his defensive game, especially on a Claude Julien team. Potential-wise, the sky's the limit.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I chose the Seguin fellow. His wrist shot made Lundqvist nearly **** his pants. Roloson also soiled himself when facing his wrist shot.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Tyler Seguin was held responsible for aspects of the game the Oilers don't even know exist, and as a result, his production took a hit. It's laughable that people are saying his season was painful to watch, you must have missed that clinic he put on in game 2 against Tampa.

If Seguin was on Edmonton, he would have produced much better, as he would have been given all the ice time in the world without being held responsible for mistakes.

IMO, its not even close between Seguin and RNH because one hasnt played a game in the NHL and the other already has his name on the cup.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Tyler Seguin was held responsible for aspects of the game the Oilers don't even know exist, and as a result, his production took a hit. It's laughable that people are saying his season was painful to watch, you must have missed that clinic he put on in game 2 against Tampa.

If Seguin was on Edmonton, he would have produced much better, as he would have been given all the ice time in the world without being held responsible for mistakes.

IMO, its not even close between Seguin and RNH because one hasnt played a game in the NHL and the other already has his name on the cup.

True. But you also got to think if he was really THAT good he'd stick out and work his way up the depth chart. And yeah I know he had some good centers ahead of him but still the point remains

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Seguin reminds me of Marleau, RNH reminds me of Brad Richards, both top notch prospects. With them so close in terms of upside (IMO at least) I just think it's too soon to say one way or the other.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Seguin. He'll be much more effective without the puck....and his performance in the playoffs included the most intense offensive outburst of any rookie in the playoffs - EVER.

RNH may very well end up running the oil's PP for a long time, but I don't think his defensive game will stack up to Seguin's.

Based on what evidence? And keep in mind, I'm an Oilers fan and have already posted earlier in this discussion that both will end up with very similar impact and production but accomplish it in different styles of play. That said, what are you basing Seguin being superior to RNH without the puck on? The fact he was a -4 on a the 2nd best +/- team in the regular season (+51)? I'm not trying to disect that stat too much, as you can expect any rookie to struggle adapting to the NHL. But what of RNH's scouting report suggests he'd be inferior? That was some of the biggest praise he got from scouts, that despite his slight frame he is hard on the puck and a furious back checker who plays well in all 3 zones. Who knows how that translates to the NHL, but I don't see defensive play (other than physical play) being a knock on RNH.

I should add I was quite impressed with the evolution of Seguin's attention to defensive detail as the SCF wore on. Don't think I'm downplaying his abilities.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
thanks for the input boys

i ended up trading RNH, A.J. Jenks and Adam Morrison (PHI G prospect) for Seguin and a 5th in 2012 (only 5 round drafts so there are a lot of added guys each year making the picks more valuable)

thanks again for the deabte i read every word

nvan97

Jun 20, 2008
Edmonton
I'd go with RNH. He is the antithesis of Taylor Hall. He looks past first (Hall always looks to shoot), he rolls off checks (Hall engages quite often), and he has off the charts vision/hockey sense (Hall's weak point is his hockey sense, he is pure talent over reading the game). RNH was billed as the best WHL player in the last 15 years. Now who knows if he reaches his potential but I think he is going to be A LOT better than most people expect. I see a ceiling of 35-75-110 and being excellent at both ends of the ice. Most people severely underrate his two way play and how many odd man rushes he will create because of his ability to strip players of the puck.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

I didn't know the NHL season was only one game.

Back on topic however, I would take Seguin because I believe he's more likely to reach his upside then RNH. Not a shot at RNH, I think he should pan out just fine.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
So can we hear from people who are not Edmonton or Boston fans? I honestly couldn't care about either of those opinions because we know who they are going to favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad