Speculation: Ristolainen's Price is High, Sabres Want a Mantha-Caliber Player in Return

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Because Athanasiou is an absolute disaster unless he has the puck on his stick in a rush style offense. Doesn't defend well, doesn't play well away from the puck, doesn't operate well in an offensive possession.
I keep hearing this but I don't know if I believe it. I think it's video game logic, where AA has all his stats in "rush style offense" so everyone assumes he must be bad at everything else.

Last season he had 17 primary assists, for 3rd on our team just behind Nyquist. He played 11% of the season with Helm and Glendening, and 3% with Ehn and Glendening. He had 26 takeaways (6th on the team). I don't really know what else to look at in terms of fancy stats but I just don't know how a guy can produce this much and be an "absolute disaster" in any sense.

Does he need to work on this stuff? Of course. But I don't think he's anything close to the one-trick-pony everyone seems to think he is.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
would anyone be interested in Julius Honka for like a 3rd round pick? I feel like he doesn't have much trade value, and could be a good buy low option.

I'd probably do it for a 3rd, I wouldn't expect him to do much, but our D is terrible and it could potentially be a low risk, high reward situation.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
When are the Wings eligible to sign Mantha and AA to contract extensions? Do they have to wait until Jan 1 or something like that?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When are the Wings eligible to sign Mantha and AA to contract extensions? Do they have to wait until Jan 1 or something like that?

They should be having open dialogue with them now. July 1 both guys were eligible to extend I believe. I think Yzerman wants to watch them play a little. I don't think we should go over 6.5 per with either guy, willing to pay Mo more though, just that would be my well let's see what the other team offers us in a trade scenario.

Reactions: Winger98

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
They can be signed now? Since each has one year left as of July 1st Yzerman can start contract negotiations with Bertuzzi, Athanasiou and Mantha. But probably wants to see what they can do this season. Before offering them contract extensions.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’d rather keep Mantha and AA. I believe Larkin and Mantha will build on what they accomplished last season. Mantha in particular is poised to break out while AA can be a matchup nightmare in your middle 6.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hypothetically, what defenseman are you guys willing to trade Mantha for? (not saying I want to trade him for Risto)

The Trouba type. A guy who slots in the top pairing to upper mid-pairing area, maybe with some warts... but I have literally no interest in a D-Man that the team would have to babysit on the backend unless he's a 60 point D. You've got to be an offensive ****ing star to warrant me having interest in you at the price of Mantha if you're going to be a complete defensive sieve.

Guys that fit into the mold right behind the Provorovs, Sergachevs, Parayko before he broke out etc. That's the type of guy I'd want. Adam Larsson would be along the lines too. I want a D who i can drop on a pairing and let him go. I mean we need a good minute munching D. We have several guys who profile to be the prototypical offensive guy and Hronek is the best of those.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
I actually wouldn’t mind riding out our roster into mid-season to see what we got going on. I’m always down for a fleecing but this isn’t it. Also we got to keep our top 4 rhd open for Green to showcase and Hronek to get his reps.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Hypothetically, what defenseman are you guys willing to trade Mantha for? (not saying I want to trade him for Risto)
Our forwards are slightly less terrible than our d. Anything at this point short of a massive win is just shuffling deck chairs.

Reactions: Gniwder

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Risto reminds me of a slightly better Cody Franson. Would be a huge mistake to give up a lot of value for him imo

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Considering Ristolainen is above replacement level at this point, that’s a hard pass from me.

Wouldn't go that far. We're talking about a big, mobile, 24-year-old defender that does play with sandpaper and has proven offensive ability.

There's a lot to like there. I genuinely believe he's the perfect candidate to elevate his game with a change of scenery and pairing him with someone reliable.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
They should be having open dialogue with them now. July 1 both guys were eligible to extend I believe. I think Yzerman wants to watch them play a little. I don't think we should go over 6.5 per with either guy, willing to pay Mo more though, just that would be my well let's see what the other team offers us in a trade scenario.

If AA and Mantha are part of their long term plans they should re-sign them long term right now in my opinion. If they aren’t part of the long term plans, they should be traded now before they are too close to free agency or lose value.

I think Yzerman waiting is a mistake. Either they have great years next year and therefore have more leverage (closer to UFA) and can demand a higher cap hit long term contract or they have worse years and their value tanks and we are left with getting little in return even if we do trade them.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
If AA and Mantha are part of their long term plans they should re-sign them long term right now in my opinion. If they aren’t part of the long term plans, they should be traded now before they are too close to free agency or lose value.

I think Yzerman waiting is a mistake. Either they have great years next year and therefore have more leverage (closer to UFA) and can demand a higher cap hit long term contract or they have worse years and their value tanks and we are left with getting little in return even if we do trade them.
I agree, I think now is the time to sign them long term because mantha will most likely have a great year this season and it will just cost us more to keep him.

Not sure what we could get him for right now 25/5 ? but after this season who knows.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You would do Mantha for Brodin?

Not at this point. We'll see how Mantha looks this year. At this stage, it's ballpark, unless you think Mantha is a perennial 30-goal scorer. We know what Brodin is. We don't really know what Mantha will do. But an extremely solid top 4 D for a top 6 winger is about what you'd be looking at.

Like I said, want wise, Dumba. But I don't think Mantha has that value yet other than banking on potential. His value now, for what he's shown on NHL ice, is about a Brodin. Doesn't mean I do that deal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not at this point. We'll see how Mantha looks this year. At this stage, it's ballpark, unless you think Mantha is a perennial 30-goal scorer. We know what Brodin is. We don't really know what Mantha will do. But an extremely solid top 4 D for a top 6 winger is about what you'd be looking at.

Like I said, want wise, Dumba. But I don't think Mantha has that value yet other than banking on potential. His value now, for what he's shown on NHL ice, is about a Brodin. Doesn't mean I do that deal.

I know he’s older, but I’d be more interested in trading for Brodie honestly.

Maybe we could get him at the TDL for cheap since his contract would be expiring. Could be a good vet partner for Hronek for the next little bit maybe.

Not sure what he would cost...?

Reactions: Reddwit

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

I agree, I think now is the time to sign them long term because mantha will most likely have a great year this season and it will just cost us more to keep him.

Not sure what we could get him for right now 25/5 ? but after this season who knows.
Both Mantha and AA took short term bridge deals betting on themselves iirc. I don't see any reason for them wanting to sign now. I think they want to maximize their "prove it to me" contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad