Speculation: Ristolainen Trade Discussion - The Return

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
What are you talking about? Fake news.Burns didn't even reach his 4th 40+ point season until age 29. And Brent Burns wasn't even a full time dman until 2012. He was a RWer just as much as a dman. Again more fake news to bash Risto.

Is it fake news or maybe some people use other methods to evaluate defenseman other than raw point totals

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The teams that made the playoffs once in 4 years and got mid-80s points every season? I'm tired of the excuses.

What you call excuses others call facts. Fact is, the Wild teams that Burns was on WERE better than the tanktastic teams Risto has been on.

Yes, Risto's advanced numbers are atrocious. I'm still very interested to see what happens with him if he's ever NOT on a terribad team.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
What you call excuses others call facts. Fact is, the Wild teams that Burns was on WERE better than the tanktastic teams Risto has been on.

Yes, Risto's advanced numbers are atrocious. I'm still very interested to see what happens with him if he's ever NOT on a terribad team.

Won't be waiting long to satisfy your curiosity.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Is it fake news or maybe some people use other methods to evaluate defenseman other than raw point totals

Again Brent Burns was not a full time dman up until about 7 years ago. His first 3 seasons in Minnesota he didnt even reach the 16 mins per game mark in any of those 3 seasons. I am sure if Risto was getting #6 dman minutes on a perennial playoff team that he would have good metrics if he was playing extremely limited minutes against 3rd and 4th lines.

Just look at Ristos zone deployment and D partners he has had throughout his time here. Only 1 time has he had more then 46.6% of his zone starts be in the offensive zone and what a surprise the year he did have that he actually had a positive CF rel % and was actually the #1 full time dman on the team in that metric (Bogosian played 18 games that year and shouldn't qualify). So that right there should show that given the right deployment Risto is able to succeed.

The fact of the matter is that Risto is one of the games best offensive dmen and one of only 9 dmen to score 40+ points 4 years straight. We literally had the worst blueline in the league since 2013. Not really a debate there either our D was god awful.Risto is not a great dman but he is far better then being called a net negative player or saying something as ridiculous as that we would be better if we gave Risto away.

When Risto goes from 25+ minutes a night to 20-21 this year he is going to be much improved. For the first time ever he actually has 3 other honest to goodness legitimate top 4 dmen to help carry the load. Our right side is absolutely loaded and because of that Risto will look much better. Why not wait one more year to see how Risto does on the best blueline he has ever played on? It is not like he can torpedo his trade value this year. He will again score ~40 points. And he will still have 2 full years left on his contract and be the ripe old age of 26 next summer.

If people are deadset on acquiring a 2C for Risto then after a season with 40+ points and far better defensive metrics his value will be higher next summer that the said 2C will actually be obtainable. Risto has untapped potential. His defensive game is not fully developed and can be much better. And I am positive that it will improve vastly this upcoming season.

Reactions: Hasek

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is Canadiens’ Drouin worth trading for?

So maybe it would take a “change of scenery” deal for the third overall pick of the 2013 NHL Draft. Would it make sense for, say, the Canadiens to send Drouin to the Buffalo Sabres for a comparably polarizing player in Rasmus Ristolainen? Might Montreal receive a better return if they merely want to move Drouin for picks, whether that would be to a rebuilding team or a contender wanting to add some oomph on offense?

Risto for JD might be a deal that both fanbases are unhappy with.

:help:

Reactions: Dahlin 2 Eichel

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Again Brent Burns was not a full time dman up until about 7 years ago. His first 3 seasons in Minnesota he didnt even reach the 16 mins per game mark in any of those 3 seasons. I am sure if Risto was getting #6 dman minutes on a perennial playoff team that he would have good metrics if he was playing extremely limited minutes against 3rd and 4th lines.
This isn't true. Burns was a full time defenseman for most of his time with the Wild. The Sharks moved him back to forward, then moved him back to defense later. Sure he played some forward for the Wild too, but I think you'd have a really hard time backing up the assertion that he played roughly equal time at forward and defense while there.

More importantly, though, Burns was drafted as a forward and wasn't moved to defense until he became an NHLer. His development curve is not really relevant to Ristolainen who was a defenseman even before being drafted. Also, Burns received some Norris votes when he was younger than Ristolainen is now. Sure, a few Norris votes don't mean too much, but it's still more than Ristolainen has.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

I think Risto used appropriately on a well coached team is an asset, regardless of what the analytics say. Him being used as all purpose, all situations defenseman gobbling up 25 minutes of ice time a night says in my opinion more about the lack of blueline talent on this team than it does about Risto's competence at hockey.

And I definitely think Risto, properly used, is a greater asset to this team than any combination of picks'prospects Botts might acquire in a trade.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Based on the Faulk deal, Copp, Heinola, and a pick could do it.

You've got to give up that Heinola wish. The Jets badly need their defense prospects to succeed. They just drafted him a few months ago and he made it past the first run of cuts at Jets training camp at age 18. He's not going anywhere.

Reactions: Snowman

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You've got to give up that Heinola wish. The Jets badly need their defense prospects to succeed. They just drafted him a few months ago and he made it past the first run of cuts at Jets training camp at age 18. He's not going anywhere.

Risto is a consistent 40+ point RHD, young, locked up for 3 more years on a very reasonable contract. A 3rd-4th liner and some other junk ain't gonna cut it.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
What Heinola wish?

You've included Heinola in a number of trade proposals on the board.

Risto is a consistent 40+ point RHD, young, locked up for 3 more years on a very reasonable contract. A 3rd-4th liner and some other junk ain't gonna cut it.

I never said I'd take that trade minus Heinola, just that it wouldn't make sense for them to trade Heinola. Copp is much better than the average 3rd-4th liner, though.

Reactions: Snowman

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I remember the Matt Barnaby trade watch that went on for over a year. When he wasn't traded in the 97-98 season it turned out to be the best trade that Regier never made. The Sabres wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round without Barnaby. Barnaby was traded the following season and Regier got a STUpendous return.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Players I'm interested in moving Ristolainen for:

Anaheim: Comtois, Lundestrom, maybe Jones
LA: Kupari, Bjornfot, Grundstrom
Winnipeg: Roslovic, Copp, Heinola
Dallas: Dellandrea

I get it, some of those players aren't going to be moved. But that's the list of players I'd be asking for. Unless Botterill has something bigger planned.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's just a matter of time before Risto drops hints with the Finnish media that he really doesn't want to be here and he really, really, REALLY, means it this time.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's just a matter of time before Risto drops hints with the Finnish media that he really doesn't want to be here and he really, really, REALLY, means it this time.
Would the Sabres trade Risto for a checking center, who wins faceoffs, kills penalties, and is hard to play against? They need to get help for Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad