Speculation: Ristolainen Trade Discussion - The Return

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Honestly, I didn’t follow Drouin, but why is he bad? It seems to be steadily gaining points, it can play in several positions in the attack, including the center, it seems to be an adequate contract.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I read that Drouin is lazy, but he can good play 5 on 5, including defense if he wants. Maybe a motivator and speaker like Krueger could push him, as an option.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
His PPG has increased each of the past 3 seasons despite a slight decrease in ice time. He took 604 faceoffs (won 44%) two years ago and only 50 faceoffs this past season.

He only played 73 games in 2016-17. That's his highest PPG season.
upload_2019-9-24_22-26-51.png

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Drouin had high end potential but seems destined to be a slightly more productive Tyler Ennis in his prime. Where Ennis was stuck in the 40-49 point range at least Drouin is in the ~50-55 point range. Could he have a 60+ point season? I wouldn't be shocked if he had one. But it looks like be will be a ~50 point guy.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Not a fan. Hes a lottery ticket.

I would 100% take Zegras straight up for Risto. Been watching him in person for two years and even skated and talked with the guy and he's awesome. I'd love to see him in Buffalo. I was hoping they'd take him instead of Cozens, and that's nothing against Cozens.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Drouin has skill but he has the IQ of a rock to go with it.

Don't know if I've ever been more wrong about a prospect, I was convinced he was at worst the 2nd best player in that draft, and I thought he had superstar written all over him. I had no idea his elite vision would only work when he has the puck and his attitude would go straight down the toilet.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not a fan of that article.

Unnecessarily long, only to break down stuff we've known for a while like relative corsi and things that aren't super relevant like giveaways, takeaways and hits.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Don't know if I've ever been more wrong about a prospect, I was convinced he was at worst the 2nd best player in that draft, and I thought he had superstar written all over him. I had no idea his elite vision would only work when he has the puck and his attitude would go straight down the toilet.
I have to agree with you 100%. Kid seem to have it all and then he just never progressed. Seems that he is very immature. Luckily I believe that Montreal is stuck with him.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

That list of similar age, similar contract, defensemen makes me sad. That's a great list of young defensemen, minus one guy. Ristolainen was expected to be one of those high end defensemen but this is Buffalo and we can't have nice things.

edit: My brain just reminded me that we have a guy named Rasmus Dahlin at least. :)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I cringe at posting this in the Risto Trade thread, because he would only be a small part. Anyway, if Rantanen or Laine sit out into Nov or Dec (maybe Connor but I doubt he'd sit), should Buffalo offer up a trade package roughly equal to an offer sheet of 4 1sts? I'm thinking Ristolainen, a roster wing, a prospect wing (or equivalent pick), and a prospect D-man (or equivalent pick). Does anyone think it's possible? If so feel free to fill in the blanks with your own players or picks that could make it happen. My idea is roughly...

Rantanen/Laine - 8 yrs for 9.5 mil per

for

Ristolainen - 5.4 mil
Sheary/Vesey/Rodrigues - 2-3 mil
Ruotsalainen/Asplund/Thompson/Smith/2nd/1st
Samuelsson/Bryson/2nd/1st

And I by far would prefer Rantanen on a long-term deal, but I'm including Laine just for the sake of discussion.

Last edited:

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I cringe at posting this in the Risto Trade thread, because he would only be a small part. Anyway, if Rantanen or Laine sit out into Nov or Dec (maybe Connor but I doubt he'd sit), should Buffalo offer up a trade package roughly equal to an offer sheet of 4 1sts? I'm thinking Ristolainen, a roster wing, a prospect wing (or equivalent pick), and a prospect D-man (or equivalent pick). Does anyone think it's possible? If so feel free to fill in the blanks with your own players or picks that could make it happen. My idea is roughly...

for

Ristolainen - 5.4 mil
Samuellson/Bryson/2nd/1st (not two 1sts though, but maybe a 1st and 2nd if no prospects)

And I by far would prefer Rantanen on a long-term deal, but I'm including Laine just for the sake of discussion.

Even if it is possible, can we afford something like this? We all rip on the Leafs for having half their cap tied up in four players, a trade like this would give us three guys over $9M and Lord knows what a long-term Dahlin contract will look like.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Even if it is possible, can we afford something like this? We all rip on the Leafs for having half their cap tied up in four players, a trade like this would give us three guys over $9M and Lord knows what a long-term Dahlin contract will look like.

Yeah I think so with the amount of UFA cap relief next summer. My recollection from adding it up before was being able to add at least 6 mil with a quality player. Other moves to ditch some cap (like an Okposo buy-out, keeping 22 on the roster, or cap increase) could give added relief.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

for

Ristolainen - 5.4 mil
Samuelsson/Bryson/2nd/1st

Any combination of those players from us are not worth four 1sts and neither of those guys, Rantanen and Laine, want to sign 8 year deals.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Any combination of those players from us are not worth four 1sts and neither of those guys, Rantanen and Laine, want to sign 8 year deals.

Well..."roughly" because the other team gets some NHL ready help rather than hoping their draft picks pan out, which sort of evens out the value if they like the players/prospects enough. Anyway, what I posted was pretty close +/- a little to the most I'd ever think was acceptable in a trade like that. If it would require more, it's just not worth it, especially if Rantanen/Laine want top dollar bridge deals.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
If Risto plays like he has the last 2 preseason games........the return isn't going to be close to what he's worth.
I'm intrigued with what a first-pairing of Dahlin and Risto might provide this season. They looked great together tonight, and I haven't seen 55 looking so composed in years.

Might be a different story against an actual NHL roster, of course, but I hope Ralph gives them a long look together.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
I was expecting this type of Risto, but I was expecting this after he was traded. This worries me because he may have checked out already. What held him back and what also drives him is his competitive nature. He put his team on his back since he got here and this lead to him constantly taking risks, which often lead to losses. If he gets traded, we will get a great return, but have we surrounded Dahlin with enough to prevent him from putting the team on his back and going down Risto's path?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad