Value of: Ristolainen to Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
For not one, but 2 worse players, apparently.

I couldn't be less interested in Dylan Demelo maybe if you got a real top 4 D and THEN Dylan Demelo because then you are upgrading 2 pairs.

But if he is the primary add I'm not interested because he won't make a difference by himself

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I couldn't be less interested in Dylan Demelo maybe if you got a real top 4 D and THEN Dylan Demelo because then you are upgrading 2 pairs.

But if he is the primary add I'm not interested because he won't make a difference by himself

So for the Leafs, your order of preference of these three, is Risto, then Hamonic, then DeMelo????

It's almost like you have no idea what the Leafs needs are, nor what these players bring to the table. It's completely baffling.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So for the Leafs, your order of preference of these three, is Risto, then Hamonic, then DeMelo????

It's almost like you have no idea what the Leafs needs are, nor what these players bring to the table. It's completely baffling.
I'm confused as well. Almost like the Leafs would be acquiring them for their past reputations, and not the players they actually are today.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

No my preference would be David Savard, or Adam Larsson but I think Risto is a more likely option because unlike Savard or Larsson Risto has term and Dubas has said he wants a guy with term and it's been confirmed the Leafs have inquired about Risto

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
No my preference would be David Savard, or Adam Larsson but I think Risto is a more likely option because unlike Savard or Larsson Risto has term and Dubas has said he wants a guy with term and it's been confirmed the Leafs have inquired about Risto

It'll be interesting now, because that was probably pre-Botterill-canning, and with Krueger's proclaimed love of Risto, it's tough to gauge if they'll trade him now.

I think you'll find high buy-in from Sabres fans to still trade him, but our organizational demolition makes Risto's availability less clear.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It'll be interesting now, because that was probably pre-Botterill-canning, and with Krueger's proclaimed love of Risto, it's tough to gauge if they'll trade him now.

I think you'll find high buy-in from Sabres fans to still trade him, but our organizational demolition makes Risto's availability less clear.

Didn't he kind of demand a trade? i seem to recall him doing that

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Pre-2019-2020, basically yeah, he did.

He also said that before a season with Krueger, and I know Krueger's the first Buffalo coach Risto has liked. He made that clear in the post-season presser.

2020 Post-season Risto presser was less "I want to be traded", and more "I think they'll trade me". And again, this for before the Pegula's pressed the red button.

Really the only thing Sabres fans know for sure about their own organization right now, is that the new GM said he'd take analytics more seriously, and then promoted our 1 analytic guy to assistant director of scouting. You'd think if that's the path, Risto's days are numbered, but everything is so ambiguous right now.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Risto is the last type of guy Toronto needs, they already have Reilly for offence. They need another Muzzin type who is gritty and defensive.

Reactions: Fogelhund

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Eh, I always had a kinda optimistic take on it- there was some question about whether he wanted to stay, and he responded somethin like “I want to win. If they don’t want to win here, maybe i have to move on.” Still not good, but he apparently likes Krueger, he played better last year- if they could just friggin win I’d hope that one concern goes away. ‘Cause personally I like Risto. Analytics hate him, but I’m convinced he’d suddenly look much better on another team. Dude plays 23+ minutes a night against top lines on a bad team, of course he’s gonna get caved analytically.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Eh, I always had a kinda optimistic take on it- there was some question about whether he wanted to stay, and he responded somethin like “I want to win. If they don’t want to win here, maybe i have to move on.” Still not good, but he apparently likes Krueger, he played better last year- if they could just friggin win I’d hope that one concern goes away. ‘Cause personally I like Risto. Analytics hate him, but I’m convinced he’d suddenly look much better on another team. Dude plays 23+ minutes a night against top lines on a bad team, of course he’s gonna get caved analytically.

I'm a fan, as well. Some people in this thread are actingacting like Ristolainen is a clone of Tyson Barrie, or something. He's got an offense first game, sometimes. True. And he does make some bad giveaways, from the games I've seen. But he's huge, and does throw hits.

He's closer to Muzzin than Barrie. Especially if you cut his ice time down by a minute or two, and paired him with someone like Rielly.

Last edited:
Reactions: IlikeEich

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm a fan, as well. Some people in this thread are actingacting like Ristolainen is a clone of Tyson Barrie, or something. He's got an offense first game, sometimes. True. And he does make some bad giveaways, from the games I've seen. But he's huge, and does throw hits.

He's closer to Muzzin than Barrie. Especially if you cut his ice time down by a minute or two, and paired him with someone like Rielly.

I think would be tried with Rielly because everybody is, but I think he'd be paired with Muzzin long term.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Definitely- I think he just never learned poise or patience in dzone decisions, he got thrown into big minutes early and got used to just throwing the puck up the boards to escape trouble. Having a good partner who can serve as an escape route would really help- sounds ridiculous, but if Risto just didn’t have to touch the puck inside the blue line he’d be great. It’s like he remembers how to skate once he’s past that point, thus the offense despite no real outlet game.

Reactions: qqaz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad