Value of: Ristolainen to Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Let's start by making something clear Ristolinen is not my first choice for a RD. However we do know because it was reported at the deadline that the 2 teams have had discussions regarding Ristolinen.

He's also got term, which Dubas has said is his preference.

Ristolinen is not my first choice for a RD as I have said before but I do think he's more likely because of his term whereas my preferences like David Savard, Adam Larsson or Dougie Hamilton do not have term.

I also think Ristolinen and Muzzin could work well as a pair going forward.

I know most will disagree but I think he COULD fit.

The question is cost

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He would certainly be an upgrade on Ceci. I am a little worried as Barrie, who was viewed as a better player coming in struggled with our system. 5.3million is a lot to wager on what could be an absolute flop. On the other hand he’s 25 and has successfully ate some heavy minutes in the past. He may also be a good buy low candidate given his recent struggles.

What are the Sabres needs? I can’t see this working without them taking on some salary. I’m sure someone will mention Kapanen given their scoring woes and his speed/offensive flashes but I’m not sure if that trade is a fit.

Reactions: Ciao and SHANNYPLAN

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He would certainly be an upgrade on Ceci. I am a little worried as Barrie, who was viewed as a better player coming in struggled with our system. 5.3million is a lot to wager on what could be an absolute flop. On the other hand he’s 25 and has successfully ate some heavy minutes in the past. He may also be a good buy low candidate given his recent struggles.

What are the Sabres needs? I can’t see this working without them taking on some salary. I’m sure someone will mention Kapanen given their scoring woes and his speed/offensive flashes but I’m not sure if that trade is a fit.

Barrie improved a lot under Keefe

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Barrie improved a lot under Keefe

I hope you re sign him based on that evaluation. Basically improved cause you allowed him to roam free creating offense and also played in Rielly's spot on the PP.

Leafs don't need anymore offensive D men, you guys need defensive beast who can move the puck and make the simple plays. Until you get that, you will lose to teams like the Bruins who have a complete team at both ends and are well balanced

Ristolinen is not your solution either. Find a Muzzin type on the RD side.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
it would have to be kerfoot + johnsson that would probably be have to go back in the deal to make it work out cap wise, and i wouldn't give up those two for risto, so no bueno

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I hope you re sign him based on that evaluation. Basically improved cause you allowed him to roam free creating offense and also played in Rielly's spot on the PP.

Leafs don't need anymore offensive D men, you guys need defensive beast who can move the puck and make the simple plays. Until you get that, you will lose to teams like the Bruins who have a complete team at both ends and are well balanced

Like I said not my first choice but one of the more likely ones

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like I said not my first choice but one of the more likely ones

Who knows what Dubas tries to do... shouldn't you guys do nothing until Pietrangelo decides his future? No cap space but if he wants to sign in Toronto for lets say... $9M AAV... you do what it takes to make it happen.... starting with Nylander cause he can be moved for value and frees up $7M

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Barrie is 95% gone the only reason I say 95% and not 100 is this pandemic MIGHT impact what he's offered

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Who knows what Dubas tries to do... shouldn't you guys do nothing until Pietrangelo decides his future? No cap space but if he wants to sign in Toronto for lets say... $9M AAV... you do what it takes to make it happen.... starting with Nylander cause he can be moved for value and frees up $7M

I think Dubas would go with a dirt cheap 3rd line before he moved Nylander. Dubas has been adamant since day 1 about keeping the big 4 together, to the point where he publicly gave Nylander his word he wouldn't trade him.

Reactions: pheasant

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I am not a Risto fan and if I am Toronto I want a defensive d-man, not a guy you are going to put on pp2. So if Toronto big pass. But IF Toronto asked Buffalo what to you want I want Kapanen and small sweeter say Tor 2nd for Buf 4th for Risto.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Mikheyev AND Kapanen/Johnsson??

I don't even think I would do Mikheyev or Kapanen alone.

Say what you want about Ristolainen who clearly has his warts, but he’s still a 40+pt top 4D at a very reasonable cap hit who’s played some massive minutes in the past.

Kapanen has put up just as many points despite often playing with Matthews and being a forward...

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Say what you want about Ristolainen who clearly has his warts, but he’s still a 40+pt top 4D at a very reasonable cap hit who’s played some massive minutes in the past.

Kapanen has put up just as many points despite often playing with Matthews and being a forward...

There is no other team in the league (aside from maybe some bottom feeders) that is so thin on defense that Risto would get 25 minutes of ice time or 4+ minutes of PP time a game. Him scoring 40 points is 100% a product of being on a bad Buffalo team that simply lacks better options for those minutes. Risto's production would drop like a rock as soon as he starts playing the 18-20 minutes MAX he should be playing with how garbage his defense is.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

Not saying Risto isnt as valuable as Kapanen. I'm just saying I probably wouldnt move him from a leafs POV.

I think Ristolainen is the exact opposite type of defenceman we need.

Kapanens value isnt solely based off points just because he is a forward. He is one of, if not our best PK forward. Plus the added element in his lethal speed.

You are mistaken if you believe he is "often playing with Matthews"

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not saying Risto isnt as valuable as Kapanen. I'm just saying I probably wouldnt move him from a leafs POV.

I think Ristolainen is the exact opposite type of defenceman we need.

Kapanens value isnt solely based off points just because he is a forward. He is one of, if not our best PK forward. Plus the added element in his lethal speed.

You are mistaken if you believe he is "often playing with Matthews"

In the first half of the season his most common linemates were Marner/Tavares and Matthews/Nylander and in 18/19 he spent the majority of the year with Matthews and Marleau or Johnsson. It’s pretty easy to look up his ice time.

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
I think a Muzzin-Risto pair could also work. I'd offer Johnsson/Kerfoot + to try it out. Is he the perfect fit for Toronto? No. But he's a big, mean RHD that can eat minutes and run PP2 for the time being.

Probably not enough to get it done though. I see Kapanen as the guy who could pry him out of buffalo.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
In the first half of the season his most common linemates were Marner/Tavares and Matthews/Nylander and in 18/19 he spent the majority of the year with Matthews and Marleau or Johnsson. It’s pretty easy to look up his ice time.
Yeah, he had seen time in the top 6 last year due to Nylanders holdout and this year while Marner was injured.

He was tried on the 2nd line at the start of this year but it didnt work out. He is much more suited and useful on the 3rd line and PK (at least on this leafs team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad