Movies: Rise of Skywalker [SPOILER] Edition - II

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
OMFG. I never even realized that was him. I'm so sad now.

Withnail-and-I-014.jpg

He was about the only positive in the movie for me.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Before TRoS came out, did anyone think TLJ did anything to set up the last movie in the trilogy?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Before TRoS came out, did anyone think TLJ did anything to set up the last movie in the trilogy?
There were some plot points, but JJ/Terrio didn't really follow up on them. And a lot of the setup that was there was like TFA where it was just a blank slate.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the first half, had to take a break because it was just so dumb, posted my thoughts and suggested that I'd watch the second half the following night. That was 5 weeks ago. I still haven't finished it. I've just had no motivation to. I should probably just get it over with.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Plot points? lol. Here were their plot points

Ro0MSFiVt8-pZ2YnOEyl2ol_cJc=.gif
A lot we meaningless questions. Broom boy? Did any allies get the message and join resistance? What will Rey do with the jedi texts? Poe setup to lead.

Don't get me wrong, they all pretty much sucked, but it is what it is.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I only watched it once in theaters even though I wanted to see it more because I really liked it and had fun watching it. Then the more I sat on it, the more I was picking it apart and thinking of things I didn't like. Then I watched it a 2nd time once I got it on bluray a couple weeks ago, and I still liked it. I still have similar qualms about it from my first viewing, but I still thought it was fun. I do think its clear now that they really didn't have a solid plan for all 3 movies and how it would end. The trilogy sort of felt like 3 individual movies rather than an actual trilogy. So I guess I look at it as a more missed opportunity than anything else.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The thread bump has motivated me enough to finally watch the second half of the movie, so I can finish my live ranting.

Rey screams "Noooo!" and furiously attacks Kylo because he just smashed a wayfinder that she only just discovered? Of all things, that's what pushes you over the edge?

Rey heals Kylo, only to steal his TIE Fighter and leave him on the wreckage with her good friend Finn. She's not the least bit concerned that Kylo will take the opportunity to kill Finn and doesn't think to stop and give Finn a ride to shore? She just somehow knows that the Falcon has been fixed (that sure was fast) and would be along any moment to pick Finn up for her?

She flies to Luke's island and burns the TIE Fighter, leaving herself stranded, why? Of course, the reason is so that Abrams can surprise her and us with Luke's X-Wing, but what's her reasoning for doing that at the time?

Mark Hamill really mailed in this performance. He sounds like he showed up out of obligation more than anything.

Finn, who's never had any practice or training in the Force, is able to use it to sense a navigational signal? The Force really is just becoming a magical ability to give characters whatever information the writers want them to have to move the plot forward. Also, how is it that he's able to sense that, but Rey isn't able to sense that there was another wayfinder literally a few feet away from her the entire time that she was flying to the island?

Twice during the movie, Palpatine tells Kylo to kill Rey... but then Palpatine tells Rey near the end, "I never wanted you dead."

With a fierce space battle visible through a window, Palpatine tells our protagonist to strike him down and rule the galaxy in his place. Why does that feel so familiar?

"Where'd they get all of these fighter craft?" That feels like a dumb question to ask when you're flying in one of a thousand Star Destroyers that your side materialized out of thin air.

Kylo literally gives his life to heal Rey, but it doesn't look like it took any effort and he looks fine afterwards. Rey then kisses him and he suddenly drops dead. That cracked me up and I'm sure that it wasn't supposed to be funny.

Abrams is sure relying a lot on the theme music from the original trilogy (i.e. nostalgia) to stir feelings. John Williams is the composer, but you can bet that Abrams requested the themes be used for each moment.

OK, it's finally over and, no joke, I now have a headache that I didn't have an hour ago.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I went from initially really enjoying it to just kind of being okay with it now. I think as a fan I got so tired of the constant bickering after TLJ that I just wanted the trilogy to be over so we can move on. It wrapped up a messy and poorly planned trilogy in a semi-believable way (although that may be because I remember the Dark Empire comics so the Palpatine cloning angle didn't really surprise me). There were plenty of "Geez that's awfully convenient" moments but they didn't completely ruin the movie for me.

I just hope Disney learned something about planning shit out instead of flying by the seat of their pants, which is kind of what the cinematic universe has felt like the last 5 years.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
It just felt like it was Star Wars 9 holy crap how do we fix this thing.

I laughed at Luke catching the lightsaber that Rey was going to throw in the fire and lecturing her that the weapon deserved more respect, which was hilarious because only 1 movie earlier he tossed it over a cliff.

I love Palpatine, I hated that they bought back Palpatine late in the the trilogy, it felt like a panic rewrite just to shoe horn him in, and yeah they pretty much directly ripped off Dark Empire.

Those damn Imperial Engineers, all of their super weapons have one shot one kill scenarios.

I still cringed at the whole horse back riding on the Star Destroyer.

They absolutely wrecked Hux in the last movie, then made him a traitor to the Empire who was feeding info to the Rebellion, and then executed him seconds later. I'm surprised that Poe didn't turn to the camera and wink.

The problem with the force is its the ultimate cheat. thus rolling out mystical healing powers, the Diad or however you spell it, and Palpatines over the top thermo nuclear force lightning.

Oh and the Kerri Russell thing, there's a massive paycheck for a couple of lines, and I'm sure there was another actor under the mask as she sat in her trailer counting money.

They spend all of the time developing Rose in the last movie, and yeah she was annoying. But she got three seconds of screen time and the dumbest dump in movie history.

It was just a discombobulated movie. However the positive were the effects and visuals were fantastic. But the whole trilogy when looked at as a whole was awful.

Sep 19, 2008
I watched the first half, had to take a break because it was just so dumb, posted my thoughts and suggested that I'd watch the second half the following night. That was 5 weeks ago. I still haven't finished it. I've just had no motivation to. I should probably just get it over with.
See that's the thing about watching at home

There are many movies I paused and still haven't finished. That being said RoS was not as bad as everyone said it was.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
A lot we meaningless questions. Broom boy? Did any allies get the message and join resistance? What will Rey do with the jedi texts? Poe setup to lead.

Don't get me wrong, they all pretty much sucked, but it is what it is.

Well the allies did eventually join when they took on the Sith Fleet at the end.

I'm guessing the broom boy wasn't picked up because that would imply that Rey and/or Leia would be training others to become Jedi, and since they were doing their best to mirror the original trilogy, they probably didn't want multiple Jedi.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well the allies did eventually join when they took on the Sith Fleet at the end.

I'm guessing the broom boy wasn't picked up because that would imply that Rey and/or Leia would be training others to become Jedi, and since they were doing their best to mirror the original trilogy, they probably didn't want multiple Jedi.
Just funny to think that off the little plot points that were continued in some way, more were retconned/changed/abandoned. Some abandoned plot points from TFA were picked up, and then all new stuff was added. The trilogy was just a mess.

Reactions: S E P H

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Just funny to think that off the little plot points that were continued in some way, more were retconned/changed/abandoned. Some abandoned plot points from TFA were picked up, and then all new stuff was added. The trilogy was just a mess.

That's what happens when you don't have an over-arching vision to adhere to. Say what you will about the flaws of the prequels, but they never felt disorganized and put together on a whim.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Ill probably won’t watch this trilogy for a real long time. Regardless of all the fighting between fans, complaints, nitpicking, plot holes, and everything else...they’re ultimately not must see movies like the OT was.

Real shame.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ill probably won’t watch this trilogy for a real long time. Regardless of all the fighting between fans, complaints, nitpicking, plot holes, and everything else...they’re ultimately not must see movies like the OT was.

Real shame.

I haven't watched any of the prequels since Revenge of the Sith on DVD in 2006. I expect the same with this trilogy. It'll probably be at least 10 years before I watch any of these three again. I'll definitely watch Rogue One once or twice in the meantime, however, and maybe even Solo. They're better, don't reek of Abrams (or fan service, politics or expectation subversion) and are easier to consume because they're standalone.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So was this worse then the last Jedi?

Oh and a little nitpick...but is anyone little annoyed at the importance they seem to be giving Palpatine? Saying he the main villian of the previous two trilogies and saga?

Sure the prequels, but he was rather minor in the OT... 30 second cameo in Empire and supporting role in Jedi...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Oh and a little nitpick...but is anyone little annoyed at the importance they seem to be giving Palpatine? Saying he the main villian of the previous two trilogies and saga?

Sure the prequels, but he was rather minor in the OT... 30 second cameo in Empire and supporting role in Jedi...

They are bad in different ways, hard to say which is worse. The Palp piece was just lame because it's obvious he was thrown in at the last minute to try and get fans excited.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
They are bad in different ways, hard to say which is worse. The Palp piece was just lame because it's obvious he was thrown in at the last minute to try and get fans excited.

I liked Palpatine because he made the Snoke stuff less awful for me. But I also didn't like it because like you said he was thrown in. If they had hinted at him in the first two movies and given some more reasoning for his return I would've enjoyed it a lot more.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I liked Palpatine because he made the Snoke stuff less awful for me. But I also didn't like it because like you said he was thrown in. If they had hinted at him in the first two movies and given some more reasoning for his return I would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Maybe killing off the character everybody thought was the big bad of this trilogy in the second movie to "subvert expectations" wasn't the best decision?

I also didn't mind it so much because Palpatine coming back in a clone body isn't exactly new to Star Wars. It wasn't done particularly well in TROS, but it has at least been done before, and if there is any character who could plausibly pull it off it's probably the guy who was Darth Plagueis' apprentice.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not even close.

At least this was a good action flick even with all the problems, however, I did watch it again and it got worse on the second time just because I saw how many plot holes that were miraculously covered. TLD did absolutely nothing while simultaneously destroying the Star Wars universe with fluke deus ex machina events like random women (who purposely was chosen as an Asian because of Disney) destroying a fleet before dying or slipspace or whatever you call it destroying a fleet right before dying as well, while hypocritically showing a planet of the wealthy snobs which epitomizes the Disney elite which hilariously approved of TLD's storyboard.

I actually liked seeing all the tid-bits of the Sith from their secret divine cult like practices to the starfinder to the actual planet.

I quite like Abrams, but it was just a mess from the start and begins with the head honchos at the top. I despise people like Geeks/Gamers who become just as annoying as their counterparts on the other end of the spectrum. However, there is no doubt that Kathleen Kennedy should have been fired before she even got a job at LucasFilms.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad