RIP Kobe Bryant

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Apparently the helicopter missed clearing the hill by only 20-30 feet. :(

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes but the NTSB spokesperson made it clear the area was full of hills with varying heights. Even had it cleared that one, they were in big trouble with no visibility and still not out of the woods.

Yeah, pilot was probably disoriented. But you never know, if he was able to clear that hill maybe it would have given him enough time to get his bearings back.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, pilot was probably disoriented. But you never know, if he was able to clear that hill maybe it would have given him enough time to get his bearings back.
I've done some bike riding in that area. There is a lot of undulation for miles around as well as peaks and valleys. It sure sounds like he was flying blind at that point and ran straight into the hill at almost full power. They said the impact site was 1,085 feet above sea level while the hills around the area reached as high as 2,800 feet. Based on that last video you posted I don't think they stood a chance once he followed the 101 into the hills and became engulfed in the fog.

It will be interesting to hear the preliminary report in 10 days as well as the final report.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've done some bike riding in that area. There is a lot of undulation for miles around as well as peaks and valleys. It sure sounds like he was flying blind at that point and ran straight into the hill at almost full power. They said the impact site was 1,085 feet above sea level while the hills around the area reached as high as 2,800 feet. Based on that last video you posted I don't think they stood a chance once he followed the 101 into the hills and became engulfed in the fog.

It will be interesting to hear the preliminary report in 10 days as well as the final report.

There is speculation he was trying to turn around back into less hilly terrain. If he had cleared that hill and regained his spatial orientation, he may very well have been able to do so, even if by luck.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Honestly after several days I have a hard time with this news. Doesn't seem real.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Agreed on splitting hairs. At the very least, even if we're extremely critical of Kobe's career, he is in that 10-15 range. At the least.

The only real knock on him is that he took a few too many bad shots. But then again, with the Lakers he was pretty much always the guy who they threw it to if the triangle O failed to generate a shot, and then asked him to create something with <3 secs on the clock. And he did that many times in each game. That's going to drive down your %.

I also remember years ago hearing that he really wanted to be in the MJ role in the triangle, as it made it easier to attack and score. But since the Lakers lacked a playmaking PG or a point forward like Pippen, he was put into the initiator role in Phil's offense, where it was easier for opponents to double team him.

Also, and this is not directed at your in particular, but people need to stop criticizing those of us who are coping with this tragedy by talking basketball. Kobe loved talking about the game, the history of the game, the greatest players and why they were the greatest players. I've really enjoyed talking basketball and the GOAT list in this thread over the past couple of days.

I also have liked hearing some of the Kobe stories that have surfaced/resurfaced. Like his "kill list" of guys who were ranked higher than him when he was 13, who he made sure he destroyed and humiliated on the court whenever he played against one of those guys (even years later in the NBA). Or him working out for 3+ hours before a game in an opponent's arena just so the other team would see that he was working harder than them. Or him taking away his teammates' Kobe shoes when they got blown out.

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Yes but the NTSB spokesperson made it clear the area was full of hills with varying heights. Even had it cleared that one, they were in big trouble with no visibility and still not out of the woods.
I heard them say that even if he had cleared, the chopper was on such a downward trajectory at such a fast rate, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Still can't believe he's gone.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I heard them say that even if he had cleared, the chopper was on such a downward trajectory at such a fast rate, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Still can't believe he's gone.
Yeah, between the taller hills, canyons, fog, and a loss of cloud ceiling there was a point where they weren’t getting out short of a miracle. Somewhere there was a point of no return, and sadly, they crossed that line.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
ABC News has suspended Matt Gutman for reporting Kobe's four daughters were on the helicopter.

That's good to hear.

Some writer at the Washington Post was put on administrative leave for daring to mention Kobe's rape case, but at least that was honest reporting. Just....ill-timed, I guess.

Flat-out reporting false information though, especially of that magnitude? That's just juvenile and irresponsible. :help:

There were early reports that Rick Fox had passed away in the crash as well, likely circulated by the same immature "me-first" reporters who don't care about getting it right.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Is it just perception, or does it seem like there's a lot of guys having unusually impressive performances in the NBA the last few days? These younger guys seem to be really inspired by him.

I'm an old-school 80s basketball guy. The whole 90's Starbury types and the guys whose brand came first and their game came 2nd (if that) made me lose interest. But Kobe was different, in that he was old school (Bird/Magic/MJ) in his work ethic, and any concerns about his brand only mattered to him insofar as what it meant as a reflection of his on-court accomplishments. There was no "Practice?! you talkin' about practice?" from a guy like him. I had almost quit watching basketball for a while when it felt like I cared way more than most of the guys playing. Never had that feeling with Kobe. Like his game or not, he worked and competed ... and you weren't going to see him coasting in a game in February. Would he have ever considered a concept like "load management"?

And though it's still kind of a paycheck league, at least some of these younger guys now seem to be bringing the passion back. Yeah, Lebron probably has passed him in the pantheon of greats ... but Lebron's a freak of nature and basketball savant, you can't really imitate his game. Kobe, while athletic, wasn't physically distinguishable from a large number of SGs/SFs who were about his height and could jump out of the gym. It wasn't god-given gifts alone that made him an all-time great. He had star talent, coupled with a grinder's work ethic.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Is it just perception, or does it seem like there's a lot of guys having unusually impressive performances in the NBA the last few days? These younger guys seem to be really inspired by him.

I'm an old-school 80s basketball guy. The whole 90's Starbury types and the guys whose brand came first and their game came 2nd (if that) made me lose interest. But Kobe was different, in that he was old school (Bird/Magic/MJ) in his work ethic, and any concerns about his brand only mattered to him insofar as what it meant as a reflection of his on-court accomplishments. There was no "Practice?! you talkin' about practice?" from a guy like him. I had almost quit watching basketball for a while when it felt like I cared way more than most of the guys playing. Never had that feeling with Kobe. Like his game or not, he worked and competed ... and you weren't going to see him coasting in a game in February. Would he have ever considered a concept like "load management"?

And though it's still kind of a paycheck league, at least some of these younger guys now seem to be bringing the passion back. Yeah, Lebron probably has passed him in the pantheon of greats ... but Lebron's a freak of nature and basketball savant, you can't really imitate his game. Kobe, while athletic, wasn't physically distinguishable from a large number of SGs/SFs who were about his height and could jump out of the gym. It wasn't god-given gifts alone that made him an all-time great. He had star talent, coupled with a grinder's work ethic.
kobe? load management?

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad