RIP Kobe Bryant

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As a huge Lakers fan since I was pretty much 4 years old, to watch that stuff on TNT just now was heart breaking on every level. As a 32 year old man, you don’t really have heroes anymore. You have the guys that you had when you were a kid. So I had Shaq and Kobe, but more so Kobe. To see one sitting there eulogizing the other is unfathomable. I never thought this would happen until I was old as shit, and it’s gonna be pretty hard to ever come to grips with this.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
That was really moving on TNT. West, Shaq, and Reggie are really broken. Charles apparently barely knew him and said he cried when he got the news. Really touching. Kind of shocking Shaq hadn't spoken to him in nearly 4 years.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
So sad to hear this about Kobe. Truly a legend. I can’t even believe it’s real, that we’ll never see him again sitting courtside with his daughter (RIP). Very very very sad.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
That was really moving on TNT. West, Shaq, and Reggie are really broken. Charles apparently barely knew him and said he cried when he got the news. Really touching. Kind of shocking Shaq hadn't spoken to him in nearly 4 years.

Never expected to see Jerry West cry but here we are.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
they just did an interview together last year

i'm pretty sure he meant the last time he talked to him at staples center

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I’m not a huge basketball fan, nor was I ever a huge Kobe fan, although I certainly respected his greatness. But his death rattles me to the core. Both a basketball and global icon. A husband and father of four girls, one of whom was taken with him. A mere 41 years old. I’m gut-wrenched in so many ways. His age. His invincibility. Knowing that he won’t be there in 50 years court side at a Lakers game as the crowd salutes the 90-year old Laker legend.

It’s truly one of those “where we’re you” moments. I’ve had that with Michael Jackson. Robin Williams. As a Torontonian and Jays fan, Roy Halladay. But this...this to me is just like how I felt watching when Princess Diana passed away. I’ll still feel choked 20+ years later. No personal or emotional attachment, but captivated with all the detailings of their untimely death. Emotionally rocked, left in tears seeing videos and hearing people speak of them.

People you expect to literally live forever, yet taken tragically far too soon. It’s shocking. Surreal. And something you’ll never be able to come to grips with.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I know I keep posting vids about this, but I find it helps to understand what went on in the helicopter that day. This one in particular gives a chilling visual.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I knew they had buried the hatchet so I am also shocked they had not spoken in such a long time.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If you could have a do-over in life, would you choose Kobe's life if it meant you died at 41, or would you relive your own life if it meant you could live until 82?

And do you think Kobe would still be an NBA superstar if it meant he'd be dead at 41?

My own life. This isnt exactly a difficult answer. Money cant replace what I have.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

I know I keep posting vids about this, but I find it helps to understand what went on in the helicopter that day. This one in particular gives a chilling visual.

seems like the pilot was suffering from spatial disorientation. hence the sudden left turn and eventual descend

can happen quite easily in conditions like that. looks like the pilot switched from VFR to IFR close to the end based off the video which in those conditions likely made his spatial disorientation 10x worse

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I knew they had buried the hatchet so I am also shocked they had not spoken in such a long time.

They were always very different people with different lifestyles. So I'm not surprised.

I have old friends who I care about dearly, who I never speak to because we just don't have any reason to, and it's okay. On the rare occasions I see them, it's like we just pick up where we left off, but we don't need to be in constant contact.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Then Shaq has must have forgot that, cause I listened to it again and it says it in the transcript is in this article. On mobile so cant quote. But that interview you posted is still from about two years ago all star weekend. Still a long time ago if that was the last time.

Shaquille O'Neal opens up about Kobe Bryant's death, relationship: 'I wish that I could say something to him'

Especially cause if im not mistaken Shaq lives/spends a lot of time in LA these days

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
They were always very different people with different lifestyles. So I'm not surprised.

I have old friends who I care about dearly, who I never speak to because we just don't have any reason to, and it's okay. On the rare occasions I see them, it's like we just pick up where we left off, but we don't need to be in constant contact.
Especially cause if im not mistaken Shaq lives/spends a lot of time in LA these days

they did an interview together last year

shaq must have meant the last time he talked to him at staples center

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
they just did an interview together last year

i'm pretty sure he meant the last time he talked to him at staples center

That interview is more than a year or two old back when I had NBA TV. I'm not sure if they have done any since as that was one of the last set of those interviews.

Magic and Isiah was one of the first ones. That one was really good

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think that top 7 is undebateable, but the line comes for me right where you have Kobe. Me personally -- I'd take Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan over Kobe. Maybe Lucas and Robertson too. Maybe. So Kobe's more in that 10-15 range for me. But we're really splitting hairs here.

Agreed on splitting hairs. At the very least, even if we're extremely critical of Kobe's career, he is in that 10-15 range. At the least.

Also, and this is not directed at your in particular, but people need to stop criticizing those of us who are coping with this tragedy by talking basketball. Kobe loved talking about the game, the history of the game, the greatest players and why they were the greatest players. I've really enjoyed talking basketball and the GOAT list in this thread over the past couple of days.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The problem(if you want to consider it that way) with the NBA is that the game has continued to evolve and there are so many great players. Making a comprehensive top 5 or top 10 list is practically impossible.

I can only list 4 guys that I feel have to be in the top 5 no matter what. Jordan, Kareem, Russell and Wilt. Outside of that I can list at least 15-20 guys who would qualify as a top 5 guy all-time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->