In Memoriam RIP Buffaloed

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hey, everyone.

I worked here as a moderator and administrator for quite a few years until about three years ago. I was never an admin for this forum and I don't think I ever posted here so you may not know me.

I was saddened to hear of Joe's passing and I want to say a few words about Joe.

We have lost a lot of good people over the years, including former lead administrator and my mentor, Barbara Stephenson (Fugu). Now, we've lost Joe. That's the top two HF'ers taken by cancer in less than four years.

I got to know Barb very well, as I know Fenway also did, but I'm honestly not sure if many people outside of the Sabres forum ever got to know Joe very well. My impressions have always been that Joe kept to himself and rarely if ever mixed work with pleasure. One thing is certain though. Joe devoted a substantial part of his life to HFBoards, over 20 years worth. He kept this community afloat for all of us to enjoy and for that I am extremely grateful.

Rest in peace, Joe. You gave us this home, and we are all here because of you. Thank you.

CM

Follow-up to my above post.

I've been reading much of this thread.

It seems, and this is a revelation, that I just didn't know Joe well at all. I clearly didn't know him as well as many of you did, and it warms my heart to know that he made such a positive impression on you all. That's my silver lining in regards to Joe's sad passing.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I honestly did not realize the tragic news that @Buffaloed passed until I saw @Chainshot ’s updated avatar.

Although I have only been a Member here for a few years, @Buffaloed was obviously a driving force on HF & someone I quickly came to respect.

HF lost a Giant and I express my deepest condolences to the Sabres Board, the Moderator Team, Staff Section and of course, his Family.

May you take some solace in reading this Thread and knowing that even a newer Member like me felt the positive influence of Joe.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Thank you Joe, for all of your work on this site that we all enjoy because of your efforts. As a Webmaster, you were all we could ask for. As a member of the community, you were one of the greats.

Your patience and calm demeanor was something we all should strive for.

My sincere condolences to all of his friends and family. He brought a lot of good here to a lot of people that he never knew. He will be deeply missed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just got a message from Joe's nephew who it turns out lives in the Boston area.

He wanted us to know this his Mom has read this thread and it has brought her comfort.

Just as a follow up if his mom comes back, regarding the impact the place he built had on people's lives: there are three children of this board who came from two different couples who met specifically through the Sabres board. I don't know of a bigger impact on life than to be part of what has brought people together and the joys the children who have come from those relationships bring them. I know there have been some others - on the Vancouver board for one - but just here in this community, three kiddos who wouldn't have been who they are without Buff's work to make this site happen.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Just as a follow up if his mom comes back, regarding the impact the place he built had on people's lives: there are three children of this board who came from two different couples who met specifically through the Sabres board. I don't know of a bigger impact on life than to be part of what has brought people together and the joys the children who have come from those relationships bring them. I know there have been some others - on the Vancouver board for one - but just here in this community, three kiddos who wouldn't have been who they are without Buff's work to make this site happen.
I didn't even know this.

That is a hell of a legacy to leave, when you think about it...

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Konix

Lurkin'
Jul 7, 2013
Hamburg, NY
I read these boards almost every day, but hardly ever post. I won't claim to have the depth of experience the other posters do on this front, but I'd like to echo their sentiment that Buffaloed was a real highlight of the Sabres board, and I'm really going to miss his contributions. His humor helped me get through the tank years.

It always made me a little selfishly happy to know that the webmaster was a WNYer like myself and always found time for the Sabres even with all his responsibilities to the greater hockey community. I hope that he has in fact left the board in good hands like he wanted, and that we'll be able to enjoy the fruits of his labor for years to come. As a webmaster myself, I look up to his dedication to his users even in the face of his own fatal illness.

RIP to an internet legend, as far as I'm concerned.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Not to mention, this board has brought together people from all over the world, no matter race, religion or whatever makes us different. On here we are one big family (especially us, the sabres board). And without him, we wouldn't have shared the love, the laughs and everything in between.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm not one to start GDTs, but I think we should have each GDT for this season co-titled with a Buffaloed quote that might have brought laughter or joy to someone on these boards or something similar to that effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad