In Memoriam RIP Buffaloed

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Spent the morning reading some threads from June/July. Such a bright and clever and engaging and funny guy. I found this place during the Bruins series and he is one of the reasons this place is what it is today. And to all who knew and cared for him I am truly sorry.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just appreciate the time and attention to detail it took for him to go back and recreate a couple of threads on here from the last migration. In particular, this -

He copied most of that manually. That's an act of love, as a fan and compatriot in this journey of loving a hard to love franchise.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just appreciate the time and attention to detail it took for him to go back and recreate a couple of threads on here from the last migration. In particular, this -

He copied most of that manually. That's an act of love, as a fan and compatriot in this journey of loving a hard to love franchise.
I was so sad when I thought that thread was lost to the migration. Eichel getting dunked on in his return to Buffalo was probably the most cathartic moment of the season. But Joe came through for us.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Just saw this now. How incredibly tragic.

He had such a sharp sense of humor. So many little quips from him that seemed to go unnoticed but almost never failed to make me chuckle. (Edit: reading through this thread and clearly it was not unnoticed 🥹. His wit was unmatched here. It could be so subtle, or just suddenly smack you in the face and make you snort.)

Thank you for being the man behind the curtain of a place we can all come to share our love of hockey. Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The weird part about being on this site for so long, is you start to ascribe personalities to particular posters posts and give them a voice. So I've been having this weird experience where I start to read a post by one of the 'tribute' avatar posters for Buffaloed, and then immediately have the realization it's not him and it's a different posters voice. I have never realized I did this.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The weird part about being on this site for so long, is you start to ascribe personalities to particular posters posts and give them a voice. So I've been having this weird experience where I start to read a post by one of the 'tribute' avatar posters for Buffaloed, and then immediately have the realization it's not him and it's a different posters voice. I have never realized I did this.

I admit to something similar - I will see a particular avatar and expect certain content.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
I've been away for a while and just saw this. It's come as a real shock, just as it has for seemingly everyone here. I spent the last hour or so reading through this thread, and there's not much here I can say that others haven't. I'll echo those sentiments anyways.

Joe's posts regularly had me laugh out loud, whether scrolling on my phone at home or taking some downtime at work. I've been mostly a lurker on these boards, so most of my time spent here has been back-reading GDTs and GBUs. During those back-reads I found myself often liking whatever Joe had quipped (when that feature was introduced), sometimes to the point where I wondered if he thought I was stalking his posts :laugh:. As many have seen, his wit was second to none and he had a way of calming down the Sabres sub and keeping a level head when it got a little rowdy.

The boards here won't be the same without you and you will be sorely missed. To Buffaloed

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Weirdly reflective right now....... Buff's now Joe to most of us. It's like his passing personalized him to us.

Reading his obit was illuminating. We walked similar pathways in the same city and during the same timeframes and probably passed each other on the street, at the mall or in the Aud.

In my parents day we would visit the funeral home to learn details about someone's personal life. Today, we text one another (and have huge arguments) using "handles" and avatars. But do we ever really get to know one another?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Weirdly reflective right now....... Buff's now Joe to most of us. It's like his passing personalized him to us.

Reading his obit was illuminating. We walked similar pathways in the same city and during the same timeframes and probably passed each other on the street, at the mall or in the Aud.

In my parents day we would visit the funeral home to learn details about someone's personal life. Today, we text one another (and have huge arguments) using "handles" and avatars. But do we ever really get to know one another?

We don’t. But nowadays we reach out to more people than previously (not counting people having moved).

I’m up here in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Beforehand Joe wouldn’t have reached a younger kid like me. There’s no way we ever would have communicated beforehand unless I wrote him a letter. Let alone people all over North America like numerous people in this thread have acknowledged. Then there’s people who aren’t in North America who have noticed his contribution to both hockey and the Sabres.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
A Buffal Ode

We come to HF Boards at first to get our Sabres news,
To learn about some prospects and exchange our hockey views,
In time, it grows to fill a role in all our daily lives,
Much to the consternation of our patient wives.

Sometimes the topics veer off course, like R. O’Reilly’s car,
Or threads just get ignored, like Casey’s chin-up bar,
Discussions can get heated, like who should wear the C,
Or when we all feign expertise on spinal surgery.

In times like this we need someone to deftly steer the ship,
With gentle redirection or tension-breaking quip,
Perhaps we need a silly thread to help to break us out,
Of funks brought on by losing streak or record playoff drought.

I’m sure we all recall a time like this not long ago,
Each day, it seemed, the Sabres found themselves a lower low,
A thread debating preferences of Buffaslugs or Goats,
Would find genteel and civil posters at each others’ throats.

And when the only recourse seemed to burn my Grosek sweater,
A thread appeared, entitled simply, “We Can Do Better”,
The sixteen pages that ensued were funny and sublime,
Without a doubt this thread would win my favorite of all time.

This thread was emblematic of the wit of Buffaloed,
Whose posts stood out as landmarks all along the HF road,
And while I never met the man, the news of his demise,
So tragically and way too soon, brought teardrops to my eyes.

If there’s one thing, perhaps, we posters all should strive to be,
It’s thoughtful and considerate: part of his legacy,
In deference to Buffaloed, I’ll post without regret,
Through chosen words and well-planned phrase, I promise we’ll do bett.

RIP Buffaloed. We‘re better for having known you.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
We don’t. But nowadays we reach out to more people than previously (not counting people having moved).

I’m up here in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. Beforehand Joe wouldn’t have reached a younger kid like me. There’s no way we ever would have communicated beforehand unless I wrote him a letter. Let alone people all over North America like numerous people in this thread have acknowledged. Then there’s people who aren’t in North America who have noticed his contribution to both hockey and the Sabres.
How did you become a Sabres fan? Aren't there like 7 teams that are closer to you?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
How did you become a Sabres fan? Aren't there like 7 teams that are closer to you?

I was originally a Leafs fan, due to only being able to watch them on Saturdays. Then I saw the 1991 Canada Cup and became a fan of the Finnish and Czech goalies. Then when both became part of the Sabres organization in the summer of 1992, I started following the Sabres. From distance, of course.

The only teams that are closer are Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, and maybe Pittsburgh, Columbus, Montreal and Chicago.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
An american version of my grandfather voiced Buffaloed. Soft spoken but with a certain edge.

One of the weird voiceovers I have is John B. Mclemore for @brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4